Stop notifications to followers

Hi does anyone know if there is an option to turn off notifications going to others?

Let me explain. When I start Zwifting followers get a notification saying XXXX has started Zwifting. I don’t have a choice to make the ride private until the end of the ride.

Is there no way to have a private ride without anyone knowing?

If there is not, is it compliant with GDPR, privacy laws?

Thanks

Your follower has set you up as a favourite, resuting in a notification of your ride.
If you are getting notification for someone you follow then remove your favourite marker on that rider to stop notifications.

Thanks, Martyn,

What if I don’t want them to get the notification can I stop it?

Surely it should be MY decision if people get notified about what I am doing.

Is there a privacy setting that I can control who gets notified when I go online?

I think this could be a real legal issue with Zwift.

Thanks

6 Likes

Within your privacy settings you can stipulate that you need to approve follower requests. I suspect that the logic is that if you approve them to follow you then you are happy for them to make you a favourite and receive notifications of your ride start.

I’m not sure Martyn,

If they decide to add me as a favourite it takes the decision of who gets notified about what out of my hands, thus not enabling me to control my privacy and who knows what and when I do it.

Surely I should have the choice at the start of my ride to decide who knows I am on Zwift or not, it seems I have no control of this once someone decides to follows me.

6 Likes

Please refer to this thread: Cannot disable OUTGOING Notifications - #20 by Patrice_Fuchs

Add user privacy to the list of things they don’t appear to give a toss about. I’ve been asking for weeks why my full name is now shown on this board (completely open to the internet) when previously I had an alias, and why this change was made without my permission. No answer.

Of course if I was really concerned I could just delete my forum account (why should I have to?)… except there’s no way to do that either.

1 Like

Hey I know I’ll just go see what the privacy policy is.

:arrow_down:

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

mine worked Zwift

1 Like

I could do that for you, lol.

3 Likes

Open the companion app

Settings

Privacy

Activity Privacy Default

Private

Apply

Not tried it myself, I like the ride-ons…

2 Likes

You can also set the default for new followers to your approval by the looks of it.

1 Like

Unless things have changed recently (and I don’t think they have), that’ll stop your rides from showing in the activity feed but won’t stop outgoing notifications when you start a ride.

1 Like

Yep, still not sorted. Privacy hasnt been a focus from Zwift at all but I’ve seen a few mentions of Privacy stuff being worked on later this year, so hopefully this one will get picked up then.

1 Like

It’s not great. The only way to avoid ride notifications to people who have favorited you, or some visibility to followers, is to have zero followers and not use your real name. Even then I suspect you will show up in the list of all riders in the game, you’ll just be harder to identify.

1 Like