Side loading Companion app on Hammerhead Karoo 2

Finally did it and it’s 98% brilliant the layout needs a little work as it isn’t designed for this small screen but now my power up and messages are on my handlebars! Love it!!

I have it installed on mine as well but rarely use it, exactly because the layout looks so fugly. (I do like the possibility to buy train tickets on the Karoo, though…)

I don’t think it look’s ugly at all? :man_shrugging:

DASHBOA
RD
is too just much for me (and there’s very little left for the actual map in the map view)…

1 Like

Hi, how do I actually install it on my Karoo 2?
Thanks and happy new year! :partying_face:
Tyll

Short version: enable developer mode by tapping build number under Settings - About umpteen times, then use Android developer tools on your computer to upload the .apk file to the Karoo via USB. Longer version:

I only installed ApkPure like this and other apps via it so I can install and update additional apps without dev tools.

I eventually succeed in side loading the Companion app. I use it on every Zwift ride, for watts/kg.
Do you know if you can easily install updates to the app easily?

At least via ApkPure updating is not too bad, you still have to do it manually but it is pretty much like how it works on iOS or Android if you have disabled automatic app updates. The difference is that you have to update each app one by one so it’s an extra tap or two per app. (Disclaimer: using a third-party service like ApkPure may make your device more vulnerable against malicious software.)

If you just copied the Companion .apk itself to the Karoo with adb, then I believe the update process is basically the same as the installation process.