Screen glitch in large events for macOS [October 2022]

I only have one graphics card as well - in this case not an integrated one, it is a Radeon Pro 580X.

Exact same problem. In addition, I have tried to turn the resolution to the bare minimum, messed with the native screen refresh rate, and have attempted reinstalls of the game. The common theme is the size of the group/how many riders. Everything is smooth if I’m riding alone, but if I join pace partners, events with a decent number of people…I experience the same thing.

Everything points to it being a CPU load issue tbh, not GPU.

Apple TV

Had the exact issue tonight. First riding the Makuri Castle to Castle route solo, but it stopped and resolved once I got out of the city.

Later, during the race on the same map/route, it happened in the first few minutes and locked everything up. Had to shut everything down and reboot.

UPDATE: We’ve made headway on identifying the cause. I’ll update again as we make progress towards a fix.

3 Likes

Same issues here. Yesterdays race 174 participants in Neoykyo. Almost 3 minutes, couldn’t see a thing!

IMG_3428

Great news, thanks for the update Shuji!! :raised_hands:t2:

That is good news, thank you Shuji. Yesterday’s event that I participated in was only 47 riders - but I still experienced the issue, albeit not as severe as when there are more riders.

I’m also having this issue, and I added a forum post about this a few weeks ago.
Mine is a 2015 MBP, with the AMD Radeon graphics card.
This morning, I swapped to my daughters 2019 MBP, and that worked flawlessly!.

There is no way of separately updating the graphics drivers on a mac, its all part of the OS, and I’m fully up to date.

Looking forward to the fix.

I’m experiencing the same issue on my MacBook 15" 2017.
So far the only workaround I found is to use a different in-game camera, particularly number 9 (low helicopter) and 0 (controllable) work fine.

1 Like

Many thanks for looking into this. Here’s mine… note my issues started on Monterey and continue on Ventura.

Nick

I’ve started having the same issue.
macOS Monterey Version 12.6
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 1.54.38 PM

Me too. 2018 MacBook Pro

I’ve only experienced this when joining events. The latest time I saw this is when I joined a Tour of Makuri Islands event. For me, it was most prominent when standing in the start pens, and as the event started. It got better as time went by and was gone after about 10 minutes of riding.

Solo rides are OK so far. I usually ride in Watopia/Makuri.

Has this been resolved now? I had 125 people on a group ride this morning without any issues. I did see the app updating before I started today, so thought a fix had been applied?

Nope… Still happening with large groups unfortunately. I’ve only done one new map and there wasn’t a huge issue there; just the odd map flicker in the top right which gives a bit of shadow issue… But no retro PowerPoint/Kandinsky action going on

agree with @PhilBanks, it’s still an issue. It does seem like there are some nuanced improvements - such as not noticing the issue as much in the starting pen with a large group for an event, but sporadically it starts glitching once the ride starts - I try to just focus on Companion once it starts, to avoid potential seizures during or after the event…

Still there. The 100km in 2hrs challenge on Thanksgiving (+300 riders) was a nightmare. Couldn’t see a thing the first 3 minutes. Huge Technorave laser show

1 Like

Tomorrow ZRL race starting in Makuri… I am hoping they fix this. But I guess it will be all eyes on the companion app to reduce risk on not seeing breaks happen. Camera 3 position helps a bit if you are near the front of the group.