Sanbagging/Cruising

Which bit do you think is bad? Your rank is almost exactly the same as your compound score. Do you think you should be higher or lower?

if you can’t see it, that big problem. @gloscherrybomb

Thanks for the explanation, now I can take that back to make some changes :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I think he doesn’t like the fact that it went down when he performed badly.

Didn’t hurt me too badly in back-to-back races. :man_shrugging:t2:

it funny you still miss the point, so work on it. last 2 post.

Honest question: is there a reason you don’t want to just explain what the problem is?

2 Likes

I’d like to understand your critique. Would you mind clarifying what you see as the problem?

1 Like

on Nov 28 , i did B race gain 25points more less, then i lost 37 points. (10 min later by doing chill ride)

flag one of the ride’s being off. to move one way top much then back down, keep my self at 1200 rank, just do 2 ride , Race for gold in one race, then do chill race = out being the same. would be wrong.

i would fix this by allways take the best ride of the day. if the best -5points vs -10points.

Thanks :slight_smile: Was the chill ride a formal race, or just a free ride? Not that there wouldn’t be reasons to do it, but if you were just looking to ride easy, why enter a race to do that? Not judging, just curious.

just to get the stage 5b race C done/get base time. have longer live stream over on twitch.
i am doing the same race tomorrow , it going to be the 1st race of the day/only race of the day maybe.

There are other methods in plan to handle such things. like taking ridings top ranking in the past n days.

You should join the discussion on discord this exact topic has been talked about quite a bit how best to deal with it.

Gotcha. That would seem to be an issue. I don’t know all the ins and outs of how IRL cat scoring works these days, but I don’t know that soft pedaling for a race necessarily hurts your standing there. I’m not sure what change to make in that case–would it be a good idea to not count performance in certain races, given that they are races? It’s different from IRL in that I don’t know many racers IRL who have a reason to do races just to do them, but Zwift does offer incentives to do that.

I get it, you can finesse your ranking and “sandbag” that way… win a race and then nullify it with a lower ranking after… interesting. I have no idea how you could counter that…

2 Likes

Would HR help? If you’re cruising in a race off the back of a pack with a low HR, don’t count that race as indicative of ability? Only count the races where your effort (measured by HR) is significant? (Would also mean that someone racing in a Cat that’s too low for them might not have those results count either.)

What’s a “significant" effort?

1 Like

i would assume there are trends based on previously recorded races… it would have to be person by person… I for example have a very low max hr but can still hang with the A guys… just like some B riders have extremly high max… it’s all relative to individuals baselines

Something that would have to be defined :slight_smile: It’s not like there aren’t metrics for figuring these things out. Could be based on stress scores of various kinds, there’s a lot of research and data. It would be a matter of drawing a line in a reasonable place.

Taking the highest ranking has been suggested by a few people. It won’t work to address this problem. Obviously.

James, can you expand on that comment a little please? What does it mean if these two metrics are similar versus different in terms of actual performance?

Maybe I’m just getting older and slower but every race I’ve done recently (not many admittedly) my ranking has gone down. I guess the competition is getting stronger, with more and more people returning to riding indoors? Plus, many of these races have been of the shorter and flatter variety, which obviously doesn’t agree with me :laughing: