Resistance Super Hard at Start of Workout

could you try pausing the workout before you start, pedal for a few seconds then unpause it?

Also - which trainer are you using? and do you have the trainer as power source too or using a different powermeter?

Just adding I have the exact same issue and again its on the Elite Directo XR. I run a PC with an ANT+ USB dongle from Garmin. The trainer firmware upgrade has not helped.

I have the same issue with ever since I started to use Android tablet.

My workaround is to tap the button to disable ERG mode, then tap it again to enable ERG mode. Then it works fine.

I’ve been testing and monitoring the issue on my set up for the last couple of weeks and found its only happening in a Workout. I also tried what someone has suggested where it helps if you are already pedaling when the Workout starts - this really helps and in the last few tests its pretty much 100% reliable that if I’m pedaling before starting the workout its fine - if not, the issue will occur. If I have the issue it sometimes helps to take it out of ERG mode for a while but more often than not is that I have to power off everything and try again.

This is the solution, you can’t start a workout and not be pedaling or you will go into the “spiral of death”

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Trainer Difficulty setting reverts to maximum [October 2022]

My PC is not within reach in my setup (it’s connected to a TV screen)…
So I can’t be peddaling when I start the training.

I think it is absurd I need to do an all-out sprint to start training…!?

Trainer is an Elite Suito T.

Does Zwift plan to solve this weird issue?

Regards,
Casper

1 Like

Given the PC is not handy, if you use Companion App you could hit the Pause button or turn ERG off (both on the CA workout screen) which should enable you to start spinning then just switch whichever one off.

Do you use the companion app? If so, pause the workout immediately after starting the ride on the PC, then get on the bike and start pedalling, then unpause the workout.

1 Like

Bumping this thread because I just did a workout today where I encountered this … like I’ve encountered it before.

I don’t know if this has been made clear, but in response to Gerrie, it is not an erg mode issue. Zwift didn’t used to lock the trainer up at the start of the workout before the initial complaint. Also, Wahoo SYSTM didn’t do this, someone else mentioned that TrainerRoad doesn’t do this.

Now, I have just enough strength to turn the cranks to unlock the death spiral. Great. Or I can select a course, then pedal gently, then select a workout. But seriously, I should be able to select a workout from the starting menus, then select a world, and then be able to pedal once the ride starts. This hasn’t been fixed, and I would like to see it fixed.

1 Like

if you do custom workouts one workaround is to add 15 seconds or so of free ride at the very start so you can get pedalling before the erg sections

Good point. However, we pay Zwift $15 a month and they got all sorts of venture capital investment. I hope they don’t think that riders can just work around this one way or another, it’s not a big deal.

I never experienced this behavior (Kickr Core, ATV). Are we really sure that this is a Zwift problem and not a trainer problem? Adjusting resistance is on the trainer side, Zwift is only sending the target.

2 Likes

I use Zwift on my Macbook.

That said, as I said before, this behavior was something that presented after a Zwift client update a couple years ago. It hasn’t fundamentally been fixed. It’s not present when I try the free workouts in Wahoo SYSTM.

1 Like

I have the exact same issue when using zwift with my direto XR. The only workaround is to choose a course, do a custom workout, start in free ride, then select a different workout. I did not have this issue last winter btw. It’s silly and I am losing patience.

I have the exact same setup and experience the exact same issue. I just did a firmware update. Did you resolve your issue?

If you check Elite’s forums you’ll find that this issue does come up from time to time and can often be cured by taking off the cover of the trainer and re-greasing a particular part.

Elite support will help you too - have you raised a ticket with them?

1 Like

If that’s what’s going on, here’s the previous discussion of it

2 Likes

I have found a youtube video for this and have had a look. Yes the screw was full of old sticky grease. I have degreased it and applied some Shimano premium grease. Hope that sorts it. If not I will contact elite support. Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks. I have done that now. Fingers crossed that this will sort the issue.