New to Zwift (Hub), trouble with MTB setup and resistance

Haha! Will check and post it to the github page! Go back to bed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@DirtyHarry @Michael_Aers i’m here if you would like to submit some information
let me know

Hey @Roberto_Viola

The Zwift app reports the device as Zwift Hub 0E6B. Attached is screen shoot from BLE Hero

Regards, Mick.

2 Likes

Ok @Michael_Aers let’s continue on GitHub.

Will do.

I’ll test tonight hopefully. If it works (which I’m sure it will) I’ll post here to say that we can use it with our Zwift Hubs.

Mick,

Sorry for being so quiet the last few days.
I’ve been testing Fulgaz and I have to say I enjoy it quite a bit, especially on mountains that I know from real life experience. I also have the feeling that the torque issue I tried to discuss is not as prominent. I can cycle in the lower gears without having that feeling of “slip” during pedaling.

Regarding your request @Roberto_Viola:
My Swift Hub reports as Swift Hub XXXX with XXX being supposedly the identifier of my unique device (which I of course thought I’d remember but I don’t). Let me know if you need that info, then I’ll check again next time. I’ll be out on a business trip the next days, but I’ll try to report back as soon as possible!

@DirtyHarry thanks, already implemented. you can send me a pm and i will send you the new beta or write me on the qdomyos github page

3 Likes

I managed to test the application last night. Didn’t get a chance to play with the many settings. That’ll be for when I have a little more time but it does indeed find and connect to the Zwift Hub now.

1 Like

OK, back again. I finally got the chance to test ride the app by @Roberto_Viola today, and I saw some significant(!) improvements. I finally seemed to reach ‘normal’ speeds when pedaling on the straights and I was no longer a sitting duck compared to all the other riders. Also, the inclines felt more realistic.

@Roberto_Viola: You app offers a lot of tweaking, however all I am looking for is to get an as realistic as possible experience for my 29" MTB setup. All I changed was the Gears setting / Gears tile. I felt that a setting between 4 and 6 gave me a very realistic experience and resistance in Zwift. However, it didn’t feel perfect, I seemed to go a little too fast on the straights from time to time.

I got to admit I don’t fully understand yet how Zwift calculates the speed of the bike and what kind of parameters are important for that (power, weight, cadence, inclination, wind, wind resistance, tire resistance, …). What I definitely do NOT want is cheat with my speeds / perceived speeds compared to other riders and the leaderboards.

Is there a ‘correct’ setting that allows me to feel a realistic resistance in Zwift, while at the same time being sure to not cheat in any way?

With QZ you’re not cheating in any way, you’re just adding some strength to your actual resistance.
I don’t know what could be the perfect setup for you because it’s very subjective.
You should try to give me some inputs based on your feelings, and I can try to transform them into code and settings to QZ.
Let me know your thoughts.
For example: what do you mean that it’s a little too fast? You’re talking about cadence or reactiveness?

Hi Roberto,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
With “fast” I was referring to the speed in km/h shown in Zwift.
Since switching to QZ, I see much higher speeds than before.

It’s a bit hard to explain, but I’ll try:

I have no means to measure power on my MTB, so I can’t really compare any real world values to the power levels I see with the Zwift Hub / in Zwift.
However, whenever I tried to pedal at a certain perceived resistance and cadence, I felt that the speeds indicated by Zwift were much lower than to what I would have guessed.

For example, I believe I have a quite resonable “feeling” for what effort it takes to drive 30 km/h on a straight road in real life.

I’d have to pedal with quite some effort on the higher gears.

Whenever I tried to put the same effort into Zwift, I barely got faster than 20 km/h (according to the indicator on the screen).
I always wondered if that had to do with the way that Zwift calculates speeds, with my gearing, the circumfence of my wheels, etc.
I think though it’s coming straight from the power input measured by the Zwift hub?

Now, back to using QZ:

When I use QZ, I see much faster speeds at pretty much the same efforts that I put in.
When I use a QZ Gears setting of 4 or 6, it pretty much matches my feeling regarding the speed I would probably achieve in the real world as well, maybe even more.
That was the reason why I asked you if I was maybe “cheating” a bit, since all of a sudden I felt like I was even “too fast” compared to “much to slow” for the kind of effort I was putting into it.
I was climbing some 3 % inclines with around 25 km/h yesterday, I don’t think I could do that that easily in real life.

I hope you can get what I mean…
If not, let me know, I’ll try to find a different way to say what I’m experiencing.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
QZ literally transformed the way I can experience this whole Zwift thing!

Kind regards,
Harald

when you’re talking about QZ speed, you’re talking about the Speed tile that you see on qz? If so it’s because by default, QZ is calculating speed based on your cadence. But you can enable the speed calculation based on power (as zwift does) enabling the “Speed based on power” setting.

If instead you were talking about the Zwift speed, is because, using the gears tile, you’re increasing the resistance on your trainer and so you’re creating more wattage and so more speed.

Let me know which one is true and we can go on :slight_smile:

Hi Roberto!
Thanks for your reply.

I was indeed referring to the speed indicated in the Zwift app.
I understand now that thanks to the increased wattage I am able to put into the trainer by using your app, I can now reach higher speeds on the straights, more equal to what I am used to in real life. Wonderful!

I’ll play around with the Gears setting in QZ a bit more to find the right resistance setting for my gearing setup, and then I’d say this case can be closed.
I can finally be a happy Zwifter. Thanks Roberto!

By the way, just in case somebody else is wondering about that as well:
How does Zwift actually calculate speed figures based on your pedaling?
I thought it’d have to be connected to your power and cadence numbers.

That brought me to another point: How is measuring cadence actually possible with no extra sensor and not knowing my gearing? So I did some reading on how trainers are able to calculate (virtual) cadence figures. If I understand correctly, cadence numbers can be derived from rhythmic variations of the power input. If that is so, I was wondering if Zwift used this information together with the power input to calculate what kind of gearing is (theoretically) in use and deducts the rotations per minute of my avatar’s wheel. Together with tire dimensions, weight, height, drag coefficient and so forth, that would allow to determine how fast my avatar goes in Zwift.

It seems though that Zwift more or less purely relies on the power input (see zwiftinsider .com /how-does-zwift-calculate-my-speed/, /zwift-speeds/ and /garmin-zwift-distance/ for more; Sorry for the formatting, I can’t seem to share links in posts yet) and all the above is not relevant for the speed shown in Zwift at all.

If somebody has a more in-depth explanation of how this actually works, I’d be interested to know!

Zwift only use power to calculate speed.

2 Likes

There is a YouTube video from GPLama about how trainers estimate cadence

1 Like

Hi @Roberto_Viola

I have just bought a Zwift Hub and have the identical issue as @DirtyHarry so was delighted to see your app!

I’ve just bought your app to see if that helps but I’m having trouble connecting the app to the hub.

Before I continue troubleshooting, I just wanted to check that I have the right version or has the Hub support not be publicly released yet? I have v 2.11.96

I expect it’s just me, but I wanted to make sure!

Many thanks,

Craig.

1 Like

hi @Craig_Smallman the zwift hub support is in beta. write me on the email that you find on the qz app to receive the beta

let me know!

1 Like

Thank you Roberto. I have sent an email (hopefully to the right email address I found via the app)

hi @Craig_Smallman i didn’t receive anything. you can send a pm here otherwise

Thanks Roberto, I dont seem to have an option for PMing you. I’ll send you one once I’ve worked it out! :slight_smile: