Zwift hub and SRAM 10-50 cassettes

Anyone had any luck getting a SRAM XG-1275, 10-50 Cassette working? Was planning to link it to my Trek Fuel but looking like a lack of XD driver is going to stop this dead.

I think the PG-1230 is your only option unless you can get an XD freehub body. Sadly it has an 11t small cog so high gear isnā€™t going to be very high. 11 is as small as you can go on Hyperglide freehubs.

Thanks Paul. Was looking at that cassette as a workaround. Will just keep an eye out for when Jetblack get the freehubs back in stock.

Just ordered the 1230. Had a couple of places selling them for $60. Will see how it goes. Else new bike day, Iā€™m thinking. :slight_smile:

If your Fuel has one of those tiny chainrings, youā€™re going to need a bigger one (and a longer chain unless you can stay away from the big cogs in back). Chainrings are pretty cheap these days.

Its a 32T up front. Max I can go on that bike without it slicing the chainstay off when pedaling.

Was going to see how the 1230 works and then probably just get a gravel bike or something, if getting this MTB to work proves painful.

Road to Sky and Ven-Top routes should work for you. The approach will be low resistance but once you get to the climb your gearing will probably be OK for an effort.

Thanks Paul. I usually ride outside in the woods (Florida Based) but been enjoying Zwift and other programs on days I canā€™t get out - I really like the bike mod for GTA too. Previously was just using an IC4 to ride around on but wanted to step it up a bit - hence ordering the Zwift Hub.

Hopefully the unit and cassette will be here next week and can give it a test. If the cassette ā€˜worksā€™ until they release the proper xd driver thatā€™ll be ok. Worst case, I have been thinking about adding a gravel bike to the MTB so would just bring that forward.

Iā€™m hoping the standard resistance feels similar to riding on a flat road and the MTB gearing doesnā€™t feel like spinning in the other thread you mentioned!

I thought that there were XD hubs for the Hub.There are for the JetBlack version, unless Iā€™m mistaken.

There does appear to be a Jetblack version but I couldnā€™t find it in stock anywhere. Iā€™m guessing at some point more will appear in stock and Zwift will rebrand and have some too. Just didnā€™t want a 500 dollar paper weight whilst waiting :smiley:

1 Like

I was poking around the other day for someone else, and I canā€™t seem to determine if there are any other options either. But your course of action seems perfectly reasonable :slight_smile:

Apparently the Zwift Hub will be delivered tomorrow. Thatā€™s faster than I expected! Only ordered Tuesday!

I did get a reply from Zwift support too. They recommend the path Iā€™m going down with the 11-50 cassette - either sram or sunrace (MZ90), until those freehubs get back into circulation. Actually just been looking at sticking a Diverge E5 out there rather than going down that route. Would be able to use it for the odd ā€˜realā€™ gravel ride too.

Mick,

2 Likes

Real-talk: I bought a ā€œtrainer bikeā€ (Trek Domane AL) that doubles as a backup real-world bike. With 38mm tires, itā€™s a good light gravel bike that didnā€™t break the bank. Came in handy this summer while my regular bike was in the shop.

Factor the ongoing cost of 10-50t cassettes and compatible 12-speed chains, over the long run, a trainer bike could pay for itself in parts costs. You might also look at the used market. (Trek Domane AL, Giant Contend AR would be other models)

Hub arrived today and I put it together. Couldnā€™t quite figure out why I needed that card - guessed thatā€™s for people that donā€™t know their rear axle spacing. Anyway, pretty easy. Dropped bike on. Connected, updated firmware and gave it a spin. The above thread you mention is correct - 32 chainring just spins out easy, even on smallest gear.

Will be looking at a new bike tomorrow. Unless Zwift provide a setting to up base resistance these hubs are useless for mountain bikes.

Mick,

1 Like

Not sure where youā€™re located, but if youā€™re new bike shopping, see about adding the Salsa Journeyer to your list to look at. Itā€™s even a bit more gravel leaning than the Diverge or Domane, but itā€™s a really good bike at a very nice price point (at least compared to the Domane, not sure of Diverge pricing). Domane is good, Journeyer is good for a better price.

Only thing is to make sure the shop double-checks the spoke tensions on the stock wheels (they were coming bad out of the factory, but easily fixed if you know to look). And they run small for their measured size. But really good bikes.

Iā€™m in North Florida. Was going to head out today and see what I can find! Will add that one to my check list! Iā€™m thinking I need a 48/50 up front to make this thing useful! This bike will probably spend 90% of its life attached so doesnā€™t need to be special.

Was actually quite disappointed how the 32t on 11 cog felt - applying any power made it spin out. I didnā€™t expect an exact flat, road level feel out of the box but this feels like downhill resistance where Iā€™ve reach spin out. Having to buy a new bike to use the Zwift hub with Zwift isnā€™t a good selling point.

I switched to GTA and had the same spin out but hit some hills and could feel the resistance kick in. That felt cool! I think there is a setting in the config for that mod to increase the base level though.

Mick,

I wouldnā€™t blame the Hub for that, itā€™s a gear ratio issue. 32x11 isnā€™t much of a high gear for road riding :slight_smile: If you play around with the trainer difficulty setting you can change how elevation changes feel, so you can make ascending and descending feel more like flat road, but I donā€™t think you can just say ā€˜make it harder overallā€™. :confused: Really any bike on a flat road on Zwift on a direct drive trainer is going to feel like riding that same bike on a flat road IRL.

That said, a dedicated trainer bike, if you can afford it, means your MTB will be ready to ride all the time :slight_smile:

Remember that youā€™ll need to make sure the cassette on the Hub matches the number of speeds the new bike has. You can just use the cassette off the wheel of the new bike, but youā€™ll need the tools to swap it out. And if you use a different cassette than the one from the bike, youā€™ll want to make sure the chain is the right length too. Nothing super complicated, but things to keep in mind.

Took a look at a few stores yesterday. Tried a couple of different bikes in the <1500 dollar range. Nicest one (for me) turned out to be the Giant Revolt 2. That has a 48/32 up front. Had it tuned up and bought it home, along with a spare cassette! Alas couldnā€™t find my cassette lock ring tool so will have to get a new one tomorrow!

I did try it on the trainer though - for fit and it connects up nicely. Couldnā€™t really test the 48/11 combo though because the chain doesnā€™t sit well on the 11 speed that was on the Hub. Iā€™m hopeful this bike will provide a lot more resistance on the flats! Else my legs are crazy strong or something wrong with the hub and itā€™s default resistance!

Feel a bit sad the MTB didnā€™t work out. I get the gearing is low for road but I can usually do a useful high teens with it on the 32/10. On the hub it would just start to free spin when I cranked up the cadence. Hopefully can test the new bike tomorrow! Else Iā€™m going back to the IC4 - life was simple. Though Iā€™m keeping the new bike. New bike day is always good! :grin:

3 Likes

NBD! :cat: Very nice, always a good day. Have heard a lot of happy people with the Revolt.

Now you have a reason to buy a new tool too. Man, good day :smiley:

It was really hard to stay away from the higher spec bikes. Had to keep telling myself itā€™s a shed bike - I donā€™t need carbon or egears etc! :grin:

1 Like