New Home Screen Update [September 2022]

Hi @evan-zwift I think you’ve made a significant improvement to the AppleTV platform with the changes to the RCU, so thank you for that. I’ve not used the new UI much yet, but one immediate RCU related thing (Siri Remote v2) that I’ve noticed is that the buttons do not auto repeat. So scrolling down a list, for example the list of routes, means clicking multiple times or swiping.

Press/hold for key repeat seems like an omission, as this works in other apps on the platform, so can we expect this to appear in a release soon? Thanks.

3 Likes

The ability to logout via the home screen on Apple TV is already coded and coming in the next release!

4 Likes

Ryan,

When will the “rollout” be complete for Windows Users? I still am on the legacy home screen even after Zwift has updated to the latest version. I thought this was supposed to be complete literally months ago.

I like the new UI screen and had no trouble navigating. I would like to see the option on the main screen to select your club rather than on the save screen where it is easily missed since the default cursor position is on the Save button. Even better would be the option within the Clubs area in Companion App to set your default club so that it does not need set each time.

Shuji,

My Windows 10 laptop still has not received the updated home screen even after this latest update. I thought Zwift announced months ago that the Windows “phased roll-out” was complete.

Can we now safely update to tvos16

Feedback from my partner on the new UI - il tone it down as there was quite a lot of swearing.

She only uses it for prescribed workouts, why is it now so difficult to simply choose the workout and start riding.
Since when has more clicks become a better customer experience.
Where is the user guide or walk through for those who don’t use the forum or read zwift dedicated pages?

I only jumped on rode, wasn’t that bad, but I didn’t interact with it beyond clicking world, choose route, confirm route and I knew where to look.

1 Like

Yup, I’ve definitely found it to be more of a pain to select a structured workout (particularly with the old-style Apple TV remote).

2 Likes

Yes, it’s safe to update now. My ATV is on tvOS 16 and it’s fine.

I think it’s absolutely comical that the first (current) release of the new interface for Apple TV includes an improved ability to navigate the avatar facial hair menus but not the training plan selection menu. Especially right now, in the middle of Zwift Academy Road 2022. Not that an improved (usable) workout selection interface would do us Apple users any good, since most of the ZA2022 workouts are still, 10 days in, inexplicably missing from the ATV and iPad platforms. Pure comedy.

2 Likes

Im on new ui atv and im able to do the academy workouts there all on my homepage

The new Home Screen is a massive improvement. However… it’s still difficult to select a scheduled workout from a program with ATV. Why don’t these appear on the Home Screen? Am I missing something?

Correct - right now pressing and holding a directional button behaves the same as pressing it once. Our overall aspiration is to make navigation in Zwift more aligned with Apple TV’s native navigation experience (e.g. same behavior for pressing and holding, and all the nuances around swipe-based navigation). I don’t have a good timeline on those improvements yet because we’re still focusing on the core functional issues, but we do have this on our list.

3 Likes

Hi, @Gazza_Flanagan, my guess is you’re seeing all the short program ZAR2022 workouts. Only the long versions of #2 and #5 are available on ATV & iPad. ZwiftHQ has been aware of this issue for at least 7 days now.

1 Like

Where the new Home Screen appears as a desk covered with post-its, it offers opportunity for renaming, perhaps Alpe du Désordre to accurately describe the new time-consuming clicking feature for the ATV. We’re now able to take 10 minutes to get going on the route we would take 10 seconds to commence two days ago. I know you meant well, but really?

2 Likes

Correct :grinning:was just a thought there was more to it

Thanks @evan-zwift for the update on your thoughts on ATV remote improvements.

To be completely honest, I’m much more excited about the possibility of usability improvements in Zwift than new roads, and features and toys like flames from shoes. How can we (by which I mean ‘I’) get more insight into your thinking on this? One specific question I would have would be how Zwift chose the new in-game typeface? How was this evaluated for legibility and accessibility for people with less than perfect vision? Would love to be part of a constructive and inclusive conversation about accessibility.

1 Like

It would be interesting to see a poll on this because I suspect you might be in the minority.

2 Likes

With the greatest respect, your comment illustrates perfectly how accessibility and the needs of minority groups gets pushed down the priority list, however unintentionally and well-meaning for the majority.

5 Likes

Agree. Both work perfectly together. However, the Bluetooth settings of the companion app are only cached for me if Cadence, Powersource and Controlable are identical. Since I enter the left pedal sensor as Powersource and Cadence and the Smartbike as Controlable, I have to reselect them every time I start Zwift.