New Home Screen Update for iOS and Android [May 2022]

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think your iPhone 12 mini with its A14 chip and 4GB of RAM is probably powerful enough to brute force its way through any inefficiencies in the Zwift code, whereas my humble A9 chip gets bogged down by the same code.

I’d rather not update the OS if I can help it, as every time I do, it’s pot luck as to whether or not general iPhone things get better or worse. :o/

I haven’t tried another HDMI cable, but I did do some testing earlier, which may have narrowed it down to an issue during the new UI initialisation.

@_Dave
Thank you for taking time to experiment with the HDMI cable. I’ve passed along your results to our UX team.

Does your TV have wireless casting capability built in? Wondering what happens if you were to cast via AirPlay / Chromecast / Miracast / etc instead of tethering over HDMI?

Unfortunately no, it’s pretty old. I was actually surprised it even had an HDMI socket when I first fished it out of the spare room.

Is it really that bad? Got to be an improvement on the current 80s style home screen surely?

Generally speaking, the initial major release is usually okay. While I have noticed some bugs over the years, I’ve never had anything stop working. But by the time you get a couple of minor releases in, I’d say the big issues have been resolved. iOS 15 has like 10 updates (including feature additions/updates) by now and iOS 16 will be announced in a few days. YMMV

I might try duplicating your HDMI connect/disconnect test later to see if that makes a difference here.

Summary here of my thoughts on it. It’s not bad, but I don’t think it’s particularly good either.

1 Like

I think the front page looks good on PC, much better to find events etc. I very much miss seeing the map of the route when hover the mouse over. You have to actually click into the route now and the map of it is quite small. Having the bigger map showing instantly gave you a much better idea of what the route is going to be. As it stands the route explore page is just a wall of text which doesn’t allow for quick visualization

I’ve now updated to iOS 15.5 and done a few more tests.

Test 5) Update to iOS 15.5. Slow down persists.

Test 6) Used a different HDMI lead (1.5m). Slow down persists.

Test 7) Updated to Zwift 1.26.0 (101116). Slow down persists.

Test 8) Started Zwift with HDMI lead DISCONNECTED. Slow down still occurred! I don’t recall this happening in Zwift 1.25. I noticed that it took maybe 30 seconds or so for the ‘Pace Partners’ button to appear once the new UI loaded, but I don’t know whether the the slow down caused the delay in the button appearing, or whether the delay in the button appearing caused the slow down.

Test 9) Force quit Zwift and reloaded with HDMI lead DISCONNECTED. ‘Pace Partners’ button appeared within a couple of seconds or so and the UI responsiveness was normal.

I had thought I could rely on not having the HDMI lead connected initially in order to get proper UI responsiveness, but now it seems rather hit or miss.

1 Like

I have this update on my PC - unfortunately I only launch Zwift on the upstairs PC just to check app before I go downstairs for a ride. That said, looks great on a 3440x1440 monitor and runs very snappy. The push doesn’t seem to be account based however as I haven’t seen the update on my Galaxy Tab s7+ which is what I use as my primary Zwift app device with a Stages SB20 bike downstairs.

Looking forward to it getting pushed down - hopeful at some point in addition to the loading screen, we’ll get game resolution options on the Android as well. The S7+ tablet definitely has the horsepower to run the game at higher resolution but there is no option to switch it like on PC.

Apparently this is normal, that is the Pace Partners button taking a bit longer to load. I guess it has to get status/availability of the pace bots in real time. 30s? Well, that’s a long time. On my phone, it was like 2-3s with or without the HDMI cable.

So after updating iOS and Zwift, if you run w/out the cable, everything is normal?

p.s. Always force quit after each session. This applies to both Zwift and the Companion app.

No, it’s hit-and-miss. Even after force quitting the main Zwift app, without the cable, it still sometimes runs slowly and I have to force quit again, repeating until it runs normally.

This running slowly without the cable has only happened since I updated Zwift to 1.26.0, although that may just be a coincidence.

Do you have any other apps running in the background at times when it is slow?

If you try force closing all apps and restarting your phone and see if that works better

I haven’t got this yet.

Does it still boot you out to the pairing screen after saving or do you exit to the homescreen now?

Six months and counting since the start of the roll-out. No June update on progress and no sign of the updated home screen for ATV users. This project appears to be circling the drain…

1 Like

What is it that you consider you’re missing out on?

How am I supposed to know??

You’re missing nothing.

1 Like

Anyway I’m back to 5fps for the swipe on sidebar. And the last selected route now stays highlighted for some reason, making it look like two are selected at once. This UX is really poor for a subscription service.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: New Home Screen Update [August 2022]