Neo 2T locking up during sprint

First ride on new neo 2T and every time I sprint around 1000w I get a small slip immediately followed by the trainer ‘locking up’ the resistance is jammed on and I have to turn the trainer off and on again before it frees up.

Tacx app says trainer is up to date…

Anyone know the fix for this?

I don’t know about a specific fix, but you may be able to narrow down the cause to the trainer or a connection issue by trying to replicate the same issue while only using the Tacx app.

Make sure Zwift is not running, open the Tacx app and ensure the NEO2T is responding properly. Get on the bike and try to break the 1000w point to see if it slips again. If it does, it is a Tacx specific problem. If this can be done several times without it slipping, it may be a connection issue between the NEO2T and the Zwift application.

Best of luck…

silly question but is it definatey a 2T? the Neo 2 I believe had this slipping problem (not aware of locking up) but definately slipping problem. The upgraded magnets in the 2T resolved this. I have the 2T and have never experienced ths problem…but then I don’t out out 1000w either!

1 Like

Ok so just tried again only connected Tacx app by Bluetooth and have same problem, going from 100w to sudden max sprint causing micro slip then flywheel jamming, the red led on the side of unit then flashes red. I’m nothing special in terms of power and can’t believe the 2T is playing up alteady!

Doing a quick search, I’ve found the following:

Tacx NEO2 - Reports of slipping at slow speeds with sudden sprint attempts. No lockup reported with that description, though.

Tacx NEO2T - No reports of slipping or locking up. Red flashing light indicates the cadence sensor is overheating…link provides a tip: https://tacxfaqx.com/knowledge-base/neo-2t-cadence-sensor-overheating/

Other than that, I would contact the manufacturer to see if they have reports of the issue you describe but haven’t posted a solution on the web yet.

1 Like

All sorted, Tacx app support advised unplug trainer and sprint (no problems), plug power back in then reinstall utility app, update firmware.

All working as it should! Thanks for your quick responses guys

5 Likes

Awesome…now go ride!

:wink: :+1:

Similar Problem, unplugging mine hasn’t seemed to help.

My Tacx Neo 2T trainer has been “locking up” in the middle of my rides-seems to be associated with when I am sprinting or pushing higher power but can happen at any time. When it happens the pedals immediately stop and the resistance is so high i cannot turn them at all. If plugged in, I need to dismount and unplug in order for it to return to a normal resistance again. If not plugged in, the “locking” typically persists for around 1-2sec before resetting and allowing me to pedal again. Very disruptive in group Zwift rides and I am scared to fully sprint or push high power because it is occurring so frequently.

I have already updated the firmware and uninstalled/reinstalled the tax utility app several times. I am currently using firmware version 0.0.34

2 Likes

I would contact Tacx through online chat and I’m sure they’ll have it sorted straight away

I have the same problem, in any app or just riding unplugged and unconnected, any big effort >800w in any bike gear causes a slip and lock up, often also throwing my chain off.

Today I had the same problem. I was riding with other friends and during the sprint the trainer flywheel slipped and then got locked. This is very dangerous. You may hurt your knees. I was almost at 800 watts when it happened. Had to stop to disconnect and reconnect the power from the trainer. I also went to the Tacx app and updated the firmware. Need to check if that solved the issue.

I’m sure it will sort it, mines been absolutely flawless ever since that first update

I am having the same problem, on both swift and tacx, all firmware up to date. initally happening on high power output, but now happening all the time.

Anyone got a fix?

I have the same problem you describe with my 2T. Sprinting from level grade in big gear 52x13 and I start to get slip around 1300w and then get the same full lockup issue you describe sometimes. After resetting the neo power, I’m sometimes able to perform a couple more sprints without the lockup issue… but every one of them starts to virtual tire slip around 1300 watts. It slips down to about 1000w where it will hold at that point. I thought the slip was supposed to be fixed on 2T, right? Anyway, did you discover any fix? My firmware is current at 0.0.36.

That doesn’t sound like the issue I had, mine would completely jam and I couldn’t turn the pedals, I’d contact tact/garmin support, hopefully garmin support is as useful as taco was for me

Thanks, yeah contacting them today. Yeah, mine does the same jam/lockup… but not consistently. When it does happen it’s during a heavy sprint once I start getting “virtual tire slip” around 1300w and then boom, full crazy lockup where I can’t pedal at all.

I have the same problem with my NEO1, lock up cannot ride. Same with or without connect to power adapter. Garmin said they will not fix it, and no spare parts. Offer 10% off to purchase a new trainer!

Any solution. Thanks.

As a Track rider I have been trying to do replicas of track starts - from a new stop to as fast a possible. I have also had the trainer lose resistance with the sudden changes from 0 - 1100 watts. i contacted Tacx and they said that when not using erg mode, there is a failsafe shut off that if the change is watts is too extreme the machine will shut down. So I guess for me and others, going on the road will have to suffice

Also having the same issues with my Neo 1. It actually take that much power to lock the freewheel up. It’s definitely less than 1000w or even 500w in my case.

I tried locking it up while connected to Tacx Utility and this is what it looks like. Looks to be an over voltage issue. Were you able to find a solution?

1 Like

So just an update. Looks like I fixed my issue on my Neo 1. My main theory was that the trainer is unable to dump the excess voltage that is being generated that is why it’s shutting off and locking the flywheel.

So I opened the case to check the motherboard and saw that the connector (I labelled as “B” in the attached picture) was loose. I traced the cable and looks like it’s going to the rear resistor banks (which is responsible in storing the excess voltage). I reconnected the cable snugly and reassembled the case. So far I’m now able to do big sprints/sudden torque without the unit locking. Glad to have my Neo 1 back from the grave!

5 Likes