Tire slip Tacx Neo

For the last couple of days, I’ve gotten a tire slipping sensation within a few minutes of starting aide. I’ve been using Zwift for 2 years and it’s the first time something like this has happened, I’m not getting any slippage pop-up messages either. I did a test ride in Rouvy and Tacx and didn’t have any issues. The trainer seems to be connected properly; although a couple of times a “connection failure” message popped up in the top left corner of the screen where the W/RPM/BPM data appears. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Zwift. At reinstall I got a message saying insufficient storage, so I deleted a bunch of apps, etc. Then after reinstall I managed to ride for about 15 min before the slipping occurred again. I’m stumped and frustrated. Anybody have any thoughts?

More information about your setup, please. The Tacx Neo is a ‘wheel off’ trainer, so I am confused as to how you could have any tire slippage. The only thing I can think of is that you have ‘road feel’ turned on and are riding on a non-paved section of road.

I seem to remember this being an issue on some of the older models of Tacx Neo that was only fixed more recently - not sure if that was in the 2 or only the 2T.

I found this article on the subject - Virtual Tire Slip Explained – Tacx Faqx

Maybe some Tacx Neo owners can chime in?

There is a phenomenon that allows the neo to feel like it’s slipping but mainly occurs when sprinting.

It’s only minor though. They eliminated it with the 2T

I’ve read that article. It it doesn’t answer my issue. My Neo is a 2018, so fairly new.

The slipping is happening during regular pedalling, not specifically on sprints or climbs.

Correct Steve, I have no tire, but when I pedal, the motion isn’t smooth or continuous, it’s jerk as if a tire was slipping with resistance. I’m completely baffled.

I hope it’s not the case, but it could be that the trainer has gone faulty. Would be worth contacting Tacx support.

I actually just called Tacx support and all seems fine. They recommended doing a full workout (vs 5 min like I did) in both Rouvy and Tacx to see if the problem persists. If not, he said it should be a Zwift software issue…

For what it’s worth, this is actually ‘fairly old’ for this trainer. Both the Neo 2 and Neo 2T have been introduced since 2018.

Ugh…deep down I realize it’s getting “up there” in age but don’t want to have to invest in another one so soon…:frowning: I’m hoping I can find the root cause by testing and process of elimination. Maybe it’s just a Zwift sw issue. I hadn’t used my trainer in two week and bam Saturday everything went south.

try another app. free trials are available for all of them; I like Fulgaz and BigRingVR

Had a conversation with Garmin last night and it seems you can’t connect the Tacx to more than one app. In addition to the trainer connecting to Zwift, it was also connecting to my watch. The support team said I need to disconnect the sensor from the watch. I’ve had the trainer on my watch for over a year but maybe with the recent Zwift update, it changed things. Who knew! Anyway, I did a short workout today and no slipping sensation. Let’s hope it stays that way!

Are you connecting via Bluetooth or via Ant+. If Ant+, the protocol is designed to connect to multiple devices. I have done numerous times but admittedly not with a Tacx trainer but with a Saris and Wahoo trainers.

I’m connecting via Bluetooth. Garmin support also mentioned that if you connect with Ant+, you can do so to multiple devices, but only to one with Bluetooth, which is how I’m connecting.

I have one from 2018 too. Mine recently started doing the virtual tire slip. I updated the firmware which helped for a while. This am it happened again. I disconnected from zwift and connected to the Tacx app and it immediately stopped slipping. I rode for around a minute on Tacx app and then reconnected to zwift and it was fine. Makes me wonder if it’s poss a zwift software issue??