(Leader/Sweeper/Backup) Can't steer on Kickr bike post event [December 2023]

So quick follow up; again I totally forgot powerups could be used on the kickrbike on bluetooth; handy!
I was using it all ride on a Tour of Zwift ride; and then continued onto a ride I’m a sweeper/leader for (not active today however, but still listed), which was immediately after.

As soon as the finish arch came up and finish results appeared, I could no longer use the powerup button.

So this definitely seems to be tied to leader/sweeper list.

2 Likes

As of the update before this last one (which I actually think rolled something back) I can no longer steer at all in Zwift, I’ve been doing solo erg-mode structured training rides, previously this has worked fine. I’m on a Windows PC, my wife is still able to steer from her Kickr Bike which is the same age and model as mine (original model) and she’s using an iPad but I don’t know if she’s up to date.

@Rowdy so last night riding the Herd Saturday Doughnut ride I was listed in the yellow beacon list again after last weeks test of removing myself, and I was unable to steer and/or use the power up button on my Kickr bike. So definitely looks like the lack of steering during a group ride where steering is enabled is related to being on the beacon list.

Any update on finding the issue and correcting it?

2 Likes

Hi all,

No updates on a workaround a fix for this issue yet, but it is being tracked internally. I’ll be sure to update as soon as we either have a fix incoming or identify a workaround to avoid the issue (other than not being a leader or pairing to controls).

1 Like

Hi @Rowdy,

I opened a forum entry earlier this week ([Power up, U-turn and steering buttons on Kickr bike stop working mid ride - Bugs and Support - Zwift Forums]) and was linked to this one.

I can confirm that this certainly seems related to leading/ sweeping (or backup). I did two rides this evening, outside of the club I lead or sweep for and had no issues at all with steering or powerup/ U-turn buttons.

I have backup lead duties tomorrow for two back to back rides, so fully expect to see this issue occur during the first ride.

Regards, GC

Hi,

Any update on this being being fixed?

I’ve now done many rides with a ride ‘role’, e.g. lead/ sweep or backup and this issue always occurs. After restarting Zwift and doing a new ride where I don’t have a ‘role’ everything is good again.

Regards,

Jon

2 Likes

HI @GrumpyChops , this issue is still being addressed by our engineers. I’ve been keeping the ticket up to date with new reports, but I’m afraid I can’t provide a timeline on a fix.

2 Likes

Thanks @Rowdy

Hi all,
I experienced a kickr bike issue whilst yellow beacon tonight (loss of use of the right shifter) so I was forced to quit and reboot my laptop.

On rejoining my group as expected I had no fence controls, but i could actually steer!!!

any further developments @Rowdy ?

Hey Rowdy,
I’m experiencing the same situation, and in addition, even if you are just “part” of the leaders list of a ride.
After couple of tests, I’ve noticed the issue is linked to the fence panel.
Before the panel was ON at start, now it’s OFF at start. I can deal with the situation if for instance, I take the leader role before the “top listed” leader and put the panel ON.

Tagging @P_Hutchinson

This bug is highly impacting Leaders. I hope Zwift would like to take care of those people, and fix that BUG!

up up up up please

Thanks everyone for your patience so far and for continuing to keep attention on this issue. There has not been an update on this yet, but I’ve kept our developer ticket updated with these reports. If you or anyone else in your events are still experiencing this issue (or any issue that occurs multiple times), please don’t hesitate to reach out to Support in order to get a support ticket started. That tends to be the best way to directly link your profile to specific issues as well as gathering/preserving log files and other useful details.

2 Likes

Support reached out to me; just sent them logs and launcher logs for 3 rides.
No idea if it will represent the bug, but, that’s about as much as I can provide on my end.

3 rides; 1 red beacon, 2nd yellow beacon, 3rd, no beacon but listed leader.

Ride 1 I forgot to test after the ride…
Ride 2 steering function beforehand in repack rush.
Steering was not functional during ride 2 (but it’s disabled for the ride). Post ride 2, with testing and resetting steering, it remained non functional.

Ride 3, Restarted Zwift, steering functional again following robo partner. During ride (which allows steering), it was no longer functional; and same test post ride; holding steering with no response. Reset it in sensor screen; tried repack rush again but no steering input.

Has anyone experienced this issue in or after an event that does not have a fence?

@Andrew_Nuse it looks like the events in your 2nd and 3rd activities on April 29 were both fenced events.

We’ve got Ride Like King coming up in 2 weeks I’ll be doing a lot of leading roles in.
I’m not the person putting them into the system, but I don’t know why they’d have fences.
But I can certainly revisit then if that turns out to be true (that they are non fenced events); and provide logs.

But I’d imagine most / all rides that have leader roles are probably fenced rides; that’s a pretty rare thing to see otherwise.

That said I’d be curious of the connection if that’s the culprit; as this occurs with red leader as well, not just yellow leader.
Which seems a bit weird; as red leaders don’t have any “connection” to the fence anyways (at least not on a user end basis)

Hello all,

Thank you for keeping up with the reports of this issue. We’re still having issues reproducing this internally. I’ve been comparing the events where this issue has occurred against events where it has not occurred. All events that you’ve reported to me (whether the steering issue has happened or not) have been fenced. However, I noticed that a couple of the “control” events, with no steering issues did not have race results enabled, while every event I saw that did have steering issues also had race results.

I think it’s possible that having race results turned on in these fenced events may be affecting steering for ride leader/sweepers on kickr bikes, but it’s not 100% certain whether this is caused by user behavior or event configuration. We’ll keep testing, but please keep sharing any events where the issue occurs and does not occur, either here on the forum or via your individual support ticket.

Thank you again for the details you’ve been sharing so far.

Race results not on in two of my effected leads.

1 Like

Thank you @Paul_Cooper_SZR , that at least prevents us from running down that rabbit hole.

As a double check I’ve edited tomorrows ride and removed the race results from the one group that “needs” it.