Kask Protone Icon Mission FAQ [2022]

Calling all climbers! Zwift is partnering with world-renowned helmet brand, Kask, for a two-week climbing mission June 16-30.

Fire up the trainer and get ready to charge uphill. Your efforts will unlock new gear from Zwift and the chance to win a sweet IRL prize.

Your mission: climb 2,500 m // 8,202 ft on Zwift. Once complete, you’ll unlock the in-game Kask Protone Icon helmet for your avatar. Bonus: you’ll be entered into a giveaway to win the same helmet to wear on your home roads!

We’re sure you have several questions about Kask Protone Icon Mission and what it is. Check out this FAQ for some of our frequently asked questions:

Q: What is the Kask Protone Icon Mission?
A: The Kask Protone Icon Mission challenges athletes to complete 2,500 m / 8,202 ft of cumulative elevation between June 16-30 to unlock the exclusive in-game Kask Protone Icon helmet as well as a chance to win a Kask Protone Icon helmet IRL.

Q: How do I register for the Kask Protone Icon Mission?
A: Entering the Kask Mission is easy. Log in to Zwift and pair your devices. Once you’re at the Home screen, click on the Mission window in the top-left corner to sign up.

Q: How do I complete the Kask Protone Icon Mission?
A: The Kask Protone Icon Mission begins June 16 at 08:01 AM PT and ends June 30 at 11:59 PM PT. All riding events on Zwift count, so get ready to unleash your inner mountain goat and start climbing! The goal? Ascend 2,500 meters (8,202 feet) in fifteen days! Complete the Mission before the deadline for a chance to win big and unlock vintage swag for your avatar. Looking for something social? Join one of the group rides led by a Kask ambassador here.

Q: When does the Kask Protone Icon Mission start and finish?
A: The mission begins at 8:01 AM PT on June 16 and ends on June 30 at 11:59 PM PT. Please make sure you account for these start and end times in your local time zone when planning your riding.

Q: What do I get for completing the Kask Protone Icon Mission?
A: Once you complete the mission, you will unlock the exclusive in-game Kask Protone helmet for your avatar as well as the chance to win one IRL!

Q: How do I enter to win the IRL Kask Protone Icon helmet?
A: Once you’ve completed the mission, you’ll be automatically entered into the drawing. We will contact the winner via email and once confirmed, the winners will be announced here: Zwift

Q: How do I opt-in to make sure I don’t miss any emails?
A: Simply update your email preferences. Check out this article for steps.

Q: Are there Kask Protone Icon rides I can do in Zwift?
A: Yes! These rides will be led by Kask ambassadors. These events are optional and not required to complete the mission. Link to events: The at Home Cycling & Running Virtual Training App

Q: I’m not seeing an earned unlock for the Kask Protone Icon Mission. Where is my unlock?
A: First, make sure you’re registered for the Kask Protone Icon Mission. Once the mission is complete, you’ll see an in-game banner to mark the milestone. Next time you log into Zwift, the exclusive Kask Protone Icon helmet will be waiting in your Garage. If you registered for the mission, completed the challenge, but can’t find your unlock, please reach out to us.

Q: What should I do to prepare?
A: Check out our Support Hub for everything you need to get ready. For basic info on getting started, check out this article. If you’re looking for more helpful tips on getting ready for event day, check out this article.

Q: How can I withdraw from the Kask Protone Icon Mission?
A: You can withdraw by clicking the link below. You can also rejoin the fun at any time!
Withdraw from Kask Protone Icon Mission

Hey all,

quick question on the upcoming KASK mission. Will climbs from meetups also count? Want to do Ven Top, but France is not available during the mission time frame.

Cheers and ride on!
Jens

Good question.
Admittedly, the information on the events page is ambiguous. There is this phrase halfway down:
“To complete this mission, all in-game events count toward your final climbing goal.”
… but it’s never quite clear in Zwift-speak if free rides and meetups count as ‘events’. From my previous experience of missions, I’d bet that any vertical distance will count towards the mission.

@shooj Do you plan to create a Forums thread for this mission, with FAQs, so that this can be clarified?

Read this, but I’m not sure if personal meetups are dealt as events. I probably do a meetup, climb 100m, end the meetup and see if the elevation is shown by the progress bar.

Ride on!

1 Like

Don’t rubber-banded meetups ascend at unnaturally high speeds? Or was this fixed?

I am pretty sure the meaning of that text is just saying that any ride on Zwift will count towards the mission. Wouldn’t really make sense for Zwift to require you to ride an event to acquire elevation gain.

2 Likes

I reckon that’s the case, Oliver, but why don’t they just put this much simpler text?
‘To complete this mission, all rides count toward your final climbing goal.’

I’m currently typing this from the Zwift Companion interface, and at the bottom of my screen, the word ‘EVENTS’ means, very specifically, group rides and races.

3 Likes

If you read the whole thing, they had just gotten through saying that if you want company, join a group, and I am assuming that they meant a KASK group ride, because they said, watch for Kask ambassadors, then they say the heads up, so it looks like they are saying not just Kask events count.

Confirming that any in-game activity with elevation will contribute to the 2500m tracker, it isn’t tied to events.

I would also like to thank everyone for the feedback on the wording. I will work on make sure the language is more clear going forward.

5 Likes

Yesterday i’ve joined this challenge. Today i‘ve made a 723m climb (started 16.06 14:45 CET), but my current stat is 0%… Why?

Perhaps it was before the challenge started? Time zone issue?

Have you logged back on to see if it’s changed?

Yep… :slight_smile:
8:00 am pt (offical start time) is 17:00 cet…

1 Like

Good job it wasn’t up the Alpe or Ventoux.

2 Likes

Climbers gambit (workout “build me up” week 10).

Sorry that you lost out on that invested effort, @Heribert_S.
If it’s any consolation (I know, it’s not :disappointed:) I worked in international broadcast coordination for a number of years, with people who’d been in the business for decades. Despite that, calculations of relative times between time zones were almost routinely snafu’d. I blame the evils of Daylight Saving, but that’s for another… time. :wink:

To give Zwift (@manda_F :wave:) their due credit, things have improved over the last year or so, and the exact start time is now being given in most cases, even if only in one time zone’s value, sometimes with UTC (but most people aren’t used to working with that).

A possible simplification?
Perhaps to avoid this kind of disappointment, Zwift could say that “all rides started on ‘x date’ will contribute to the mission”, and then the mission clock starts at 00:01 in the earliest time zone (UTC+14). That way, any user who starts a ride on that date in their local time zone – never mind the hour – will have their ride counted. Job done!
The same could be done at the other end of the mission, so that all rides concluded before 23:59 in the latest time zone, on a particular date would also be counted.
Caveat: fair enough, some people in some territories will have a few more waking hours during which to do their contributing rides, but unless the mission is to accomplish some virtually-impossible-to-do-in-the-time-provided distance/ascending, surely no one can justifiably complain.
Would this work?

4 Likes

One vote for your time solution!

2 Likes

Hi Amanda I completed a ride yesterday evening, not massive climbing at 385m but hey every little helps. It’s not registered on my mission stats this morning, does that mean it won’t count? I had joined up before I started the ride ….

Jo

@JamesBailey this would be a marvelous time to have some additional climbing group ride events - with pace partners, or humans, I don’t care which! Anything with Ven-Top, ADZ, Epic KOM, Innsbruck KOM, Chalet Reynard, etc. Ideal for me would be around 2-2.5 hours (or less) at 2-2.5w/kg (more if shorter) USA mornings. I checked all the popular mountain routes and didn’t find much out there on the calendar.

Looks like anything completed before the UTC start time for the mission won’t count. I lost 700m. Annoying that zwift can’t accommodate global time differences but should mean we have a bit more time to complete.

The thing is, @_Jo_Bridson_PACK_Swe’s ride (as visible in in Companion) looks to have started a number of hours after the mission start time. Am curious to learn if there’s buggy behaviour behind it, or something else.