Issues with bluetooth dropout on Woodway treadmill

I got mine delivered in April 2020 and haven’t had any issues with the bluetooth dropping but I have to reset the GEM module before pairing to Zwift every single time which is annoying. Contacted them about this recently to see if that is fixable.

which display version are you using Chris, is it the newest display line or the previous with red and green on / off buttons?
Can you describe how you are resetting the gem?

I own a woodway with the newest personal trainer display, that already has an internal hard wired npe gem included (called gem2 for bluetooth, ant+ and gymlink nfc (apple watch)) that is working without dropouts,the only thing that sometimes is a little bit frustrating is, if you disconnect the bluetooth connection getting it back on again (you have to turn the display on / off) but at least it is working out of the box.

The really frustrating part is that I did not succed to get auto incline running with the ios / android app runcline in combination with zwift.
Even with an external gem retro on the csafe port that is working on other woodways when it comes to auto incline.

Did others on this thread already stumbled over runcline and perhaps tested the auto incline in combination with zwift?

Just google for runcline & zwift really needful app.

Regards
Jens

I’ve got the ProSmart touch screen, I think it is still their latest version of it (no physical buttons).

would you be so kind and could take of the backcover of your Display housing for taking a picture of the inside?

Regards
Jens

Just an update on my woodway;

I got in contact again with Woodway (very responsive); did an update to the treadmill and the bluetooth works now in zwift (without using the NPE GEM add-on).

For some reason I have to pair it (treadmill to apple TV) once I’ve started the run but I’m glad it’s working now.

Great thread - thanks all for sharing experience and results.

I recently took delivery of a 4Front which connects to my aTV without issues… I do however experience initial connection issues when/if I want to pair to an ipad instead of aTV. On occasion I want to watch something on the tv but getting the Woodway to pair with other device is quite frustrating. Even when using the USB port.

Have you all had similar experience with this?

Also, I’m curious if anyone has been, or is able, to pair their Woodway to their Garmin (or similar) watch to get distance/pace/etc? Mine pairs to my Garmin as a Trainer (FE-C) however it does not transmit or record any metrics.

TIA

EDIT: My 4Front is 05/21 with the quick set display console.

Sorry, I have never tired with an ipad.

Regarding the Garmin; I’ve had no luck pairing with either a Fenix 5X, 5s, or 6s. The 6s can “see it/connect” but no metrics are transmitted.

My understanding was that Garmin was not interested in furthering this development, however that is information pulled from various garmin forums.

At this point I have given up on garmin-woodway solution. I am told that the apple watch is able to connect and transmit data but I have never done this as I am not an apple guy (the aTV is the only thing that I have).

CHeers,

Yep - my same experience.

I’ve read this was previously in place, but as you noted, I havent been able to find anything online with details on how to get it to work with newer units.

I read saw on thisisant.com the older Desmo units transmitted in both FEC and FIT protocals. Perhaps newer units only us FEC which isnt supported on Garmin’s running profile. My theory anyway.

My wife has an Apple Watch but hasnt had a run on the treadmill yet. Will have to have her try to see if she has any luck. I suspect it will work as the console has the ‘Connect to Apple Watch’ logo.

I use a virtual-run on my garmin and pair my watch to zwift for cadence and HR (you can also do this with a chest strap or footpod instead for these metrics), then use the treadmill connection only for the speed and incline. The result is that the activity zwift uploads to garmin/strava etc. has the incline, speed, hr and cadence data together. You obviously lose out on some of the nicer garmin metrics but I’d rather have the treadmill data than those, plus the inclusion of the (fake) gps track is rather nice.

If anyone does get Garmin working to record an activity using Woodway for incline+speed sans-zwift I’d be very interested in regaining those metrics!

1 Like

This is more or less what I do now (Woodway to Zwift for speed/incline and other sensors for hr/cadence) that Garmin counts non-garmin device activities towards its training metrics.

I do miss the other garmin/stryd metrics so I’m hoping an update will soon address this.

I chatted with NPE and got some additional insight on the GEM/GEM2 currently installed on newer 4Fronts.

The below are the supported protocols;

• ANT+ Broadcast - Fitness Equipment profile
  • ANT+ receiver - HR profile
  • Bluetooth Peripheral - Fitness machine service (FTMS)
  • Bluetooth Central - HR service
  • Gym Connect service (custom service for fitness equipment)

They also confirmed that Garmin have only implemented support for fitness equipment support for bike trainers. Which uses the same profile in the GEM2 however uses different ANT+ data pages.

As for the GEM Retro, it implements the same ANT+ fitness equipment profile and Bluetooth fitness machine service as the GEM2.

They did however note they are considering adding the same BLE Running Speed and Cadence and ANT+ footpod services found in the RUNN device to the GEM2 via a future firmware update. No word on when this would be available.

which display version is yours? Can you share the update file and report the sw Version your woodway is reporting after the update?

Regards
Eldrik

I have version 2.145.43

OS Build June 4, 2021.

I had the update file sent over LAN (updated online from settings menu). No idea what version the display is, sorry.

I just purchased an used 2016 4front. Does this model transmit bluetooth natively? I do not find anything popping up on zwift to pair. Are my only options a GEM module?

Where can I find more about 4front software updates? I can not find anything online, except updates to prosmart, which I do not have.

Hi, i haven’t read the whole thread and don’t know if you resolved or not but i fixed my dropouts while running and using the ipad by updating all the ipad software. For some reason the ipad was running a process every few minutes that caused Zwift avatar to start stop start stop many times every 10 mins or so.

Hey @Epg0 - how’s your 4Front going? I’m picking up a similarly aged unit with the Personal View Display (TV unit) and curious if you got Zwift up and running… Thanks in advance!

I purchased my woodway in 2023 with a Quickconnect console. According to the woodway website it has Bluetooth and Ant+ support built in and can connect to Zwift. However, when running Zwift on Apple TV, IPad Pro or iPhone 12 none of them will recognise the Woodway treadmill.

In theory this latest woodway has the NPE GEM2 chip built in but it still doesn’t work. Also tried GymTrakr but that couldn’t find the treadmill either. I see in this thread a few people with new Woodway treadmills get Zwift working out the box but for me nothing.

Any help or diagnostic suggestions greatly appreciated

Ian

Hi Ian,

Few learnings from my experience. For starters, I don’t believe Woodway uses anything NPE makes internally. At least not to my knowledge. I know folks were having BT issues until they updated the firmware on newer 4front’s, so you might call Woodway support during the week and see if you have the latest or not. I have an older 4front, so had no choice but to use the NPE GEM Retro (works well). One silly comment - I briefly forgot to turn the lower Personal Training Display ON while trying to pair (with GEM installed). Is it possible your machine isn’t “fully on” while trying to pair? Not the base power switch, the actual display…

Best of luck!

Thanks Adam. If you look you the chain I Tri for Tacos confirmed there’s an NPE GEMS2 chip in the new versions of 4Front.

I have the QuickConnect console so there’s no other training display to switch on.

You’re right I will contact Woodway support in the week

Many thanks

Ian