Is it possible to install zwift on android tv?

Just wanted to let people know that it is possible to install Zwift using the APKpure app in the Nvida Shield (maybe other Android TV boxes too). You’ll have to download and install APKpure (either download the apk to a pc and transfer via usb drive, or download from a web browser in the Shield).

You’ll also need ES File Explorer and Sideload launcher (both of these are in the Play store). ES File Explorer is for installing the APKpure app (you may have to allow ES explorer to install third-party apps), and once it is installed you have to use the Sideload launcher to run APKpure.

Once in APKpure (it is like an appstore for free apps), you can search for Zwift (it is the one that says unreleased). Then download and install it from there (and you’ll probably have to allow APKpure to install apps from third-party sources).

Once Zwift is installed, you’ll have to run it from the Sideload launcher. I confirmed that it ran, and I was able to log in, and pair my trainer.

The downside is having to download and install a third-party app store. But the upside is that you don’t have to worry about copying the .obb directory each time you install and update.

4 Likes

Thanks! I finally got it to work using that app. I had been using a similar App called Aptoide (or similar), but it didn’t install the Obb file & no matter how carefully I manually did it I got stuck.

Using the phone all you have to left click to grab the page & then swipe. That had me a while.

I shall sign in fully on Saturday to use my 7 day free, but it looks good for now. Hopefully they will officially support the Shield & high powered android TVs soon.

1 Like

Support for this and other cheaper android TV would be a massive advantage to those of us that don’t want to move our office into the garage or our trainer into the office. Chromecast is working OK from my zony Z5 but i need a second phone for the companion app.

1 Like

Qualcuno mi sa dire che televisore devo acquistare per utilizzare l’a
pplicazione?

Cheaper Android TV boxes are not good enough to run Zwift. Nvidia shield is not cheaper than Apple TV 4k. It doesn’t make much sense yet. Maybe in the feature when Android TV boxes specs will catch up with modern times.

There don’t seem to be any powerful android boxes yet. I don’t mind paying the same price as the Apple TV but everything else I have is windows, android or chrome and I’d prefer to keep to the same systems. Raspberry Pi4 would be a great cheaper alternative but not sure how the graphics stack up. Even Zwift marketing their own box would be cool for those that don’t already have a device they can use and it would make it much easier for them compatibility wise.

1 Like

Google Stadia online platform might also be a nice option.

I have been successful using an MHL connection from my z5 but limits sound output to zwift. No using a music player in the background as far as I can work out.

Hello, i was trying to install Zwift on my Sony TV, but i cannot proceed. What is current best option to connect Zwift via smart TV? thanks for ur feedback

2 Likes

Run Zwift on your Mac/PC/Tablet/Cell. phone and connect it to your TV.
I’ve made some tests on Amazon Fire TV 4k latest stick by installing the android apk package, but unfortunately the device comes with too low specs.
So your best chance probably is to run Zwift on separate device connected to your TV. There is also Apple TV box, probably the cheapest solution if you do not have PC, Mac or any other device to run Zwift.

I would 100% use zwift on Android TV if it was available it’s on apple TV why not android TV?

Hi there… it passed more than a year now, but have you managed to install and run Zwift correctly on the Xiaomi Mi Box S? The specs indicates that the app should run fine… my phone has lower specs and it run Ok… what prevented you from installing the app? It won’t appear on the Play Store App… give you some error on installing or running? Thanks

Cheers

2 Likes

I tried with APKpure. Didn’t work. Zwift doesn’t show up when i search in the apps.

Is there maybe an extra step to take?

2 Likes

@Tim_Lauwers

Try APKMirror.

Maybe, I installed it on my Android TV

The Android TV I have installed is PlayTV Geh, you can refer to it here https://techbigs.com/pt/playtv-geh.html

Thank you so much! It works perfectly with my 2017 Nvidia Shield TV. It looks great!

But I have a question, on windows we can import personal workout in ‘’ My document > Zwift > Workout ‘’ but how can we do with android version of Zwift? They will be synchronized to the online Zwift platefrom, please?

Thanks again for this tips. :wink:

(Edit), I finally putted my workouts in the folder Workouts in documents / Zwift of ma laptop. And after 2 hours, they were synchronised with all platefrom.

Have this set up on latest, and -1 gen Shield Pro. After figuring it out on the first Shield, the second one took maybe 15 minutes from stock, to in the (latest Android version) app & riding.
Only noticeable downfalls vs having on a Windows PC are the graphics are a little lower (4/5 on a 75" TV from 3 feet away while riding - the textures are a bit blockier, but overall the gameplay is smooth) and Zwift Android is not supporting the ANT profile needed for Controllable smart trainers. Everything else works as expected on Android TV, while I’m using a USB dongle > Logi K400 keyboard/mouse (to navigate the UI while not riding) and I have a $15 ANT USB dongle for any sensors I don’t want connecting over BT.

Instructions are:

• Install Zwift on a different Android tablet, from App store (phone probably works too)
  • Log into your account and ride/view others. Take note of what version of the app you have installed.
  • Exit app
  • Connect that device to your computer over USB
  • Navigate to the Android data obb folder and copy the entire zwift folder & contents (mine was around 700MB) to your computer, then a USB stick.
  • Download a copy of the .apk app installer from an apk mirror site - ensure it’s the same version you installed on your other device.
  • Copy that to your USB stick too.
  • Plug that USB stick into your Shield, as well as your keyboard/mouse (not essential for this step, but makes this easier and you’ll need this in just a second anyway…)
  • Use your preferred File Explorer to navigate to the USB stick and run the APK installer you downloaded (you’re now sideloading this app).
  • You may need to allow this to install not from a ‘trusted source’, aka App store.
  • Finish install.
  • Copy that folder with ~700MB obb into the same folder location as where you found it on the original device.
  • IF you want to connect sensors via ANT to use in Zwift, now would be the time to physically connect your ANT dongle.
  • You’ll also need to install 3 ANT related apps from the regular Google Play App store: ANT USB Service, ANT Radio Service, and ANT+ Plugins Service. Just run them each once and should never need to again.
  • Open Zwift app (you’ll need to go to the Settings gear in top right, navigate to apps, scroll all the way to bottom and find Zwift, and open that way).
  • First time will take quite a while to open up as it’s initial ‘install’ and unpacking of everything. Be patient.
  • Eventually you’re in an intro screen which you’ll need to hold click and ‘swipe’ to the left to get through opening carousel. I think a mouse is the only way to do this.
  • Now you can log in (way easier with physical keyboard).
  • Once logged in, pair your sensors like normal (note, you may need to allow location permissions for BOTH the app, and for Android in general.)
  • Again - this will NOT find your Controllable smart trainer at this time due to ANT protocol needed not supported in Android apk (why here no, but on the limited AppleTV yes is beyond me…)
  • Enjoy the ride!
9 Likes

Dear Shaun,

First of all, thank You very much for this instruction ! It realy did help me to instal and run Zwift on my Shield 2017.

I’ve got only one hint for You.

I think easier than use keybord and mouse, is to use Shield TV app. It allows you to use track pad and keyboard on your mobile device to operate Shield box.

Best regards !