Official Nvidia Shield TV support

Come on Zwift, many people have been waiting for official support on the Nvidia Shield TV platform for several years already. It should be unnecessary for people to use work-arounds to install Zwift on the Nvidia Shield TV like today. It should instead be possible to install Zwift directly from the play store on the Nvidia Shield TV. Menu control should be provided by both the wireless remote and/or the gaming controller sold seperately.

If you do not add official support for Zwift on the Nvidia Shield TV anytime soon I will seriously consider to terminate my membership.

14 Likes

The shield just runs Android right? Can’t be that difficult for them to add or am I missing something?

I guess there are probably very few shields out there and probably isn’t worth Zwifts efforts (if more work than simply enabling it)

Can anyone confirm if the.nvidia shield actually works (even if unofficially). If it does work, how is the performance? Comparable to apple TV 4k?

Yes, but only if you sideload the Zwift app. Zwift is not available for download directly from the Play store on the Nvidia Shield TV. Every time there is an important update of the Zwift app you have to reinstall it as it doesn’t automatically update if it were officially supported.

Yes, it works and the performance is on par with a non-4K Apple TV.

Thank you

Not working for me… after installing the apk from apkmirror, it tells me to uninstall the app and te install it from the PlayStore, which is not possible as we know

I love nvidia shield and would LOVE to see zwift on shield.

1 Like

All (and Zwift.inc), see my recent posts detailing my experience of running Zwift on the Nvidia SHIELD. Initial setup is a bit of a phaff (and that’s only because Zwift.inc won’t do the little bit of coding to support it) but once done it works really well.

I’m still waiting for official support for my Nvidia Shleid TV. It’s got superb graphics and a USB port to stick my ANT+ receiver in it, so Zwift: WHY ARE WE STILL WAITING ?

Would really like official Zwift support for my Shield TV Pro. The processor is way better than the iPad plus mount bracket on the trainer I’ve been using and it’d be nice to not futz around with sideloading APKs like when I got my first smartphone and rooted it in 2010. It’s not the dark ages anymore.

Come on Zwift!!!

Lack of Nvidia Shield support has me no looking for a Zwift alternative. I wanted to use my shield but kept using my apple tv. But now that I have the new shied pro, I will not keep using the apple tv. Zwift will have to be replaced as I will not go through gymnastics to make it work. Also will not use it on a tablet when my bike is in front of a 65" tv. Zwift, get your act together or competitors will start to take your business. I am gone as soon as I decide which competitor I will go with.

2 Likes

Shaun_DaBeast did a nice writeup in Dec '20 on how to get Zwift running on the Shield, here…

And I’ve added a bit more info a few posts later in the thread regarding using APKPure to install Zwift and manage updates, and using the Shield TV app to launch and navigate the Zwift app. It all actually makes Zwift very easy to live with on the Shield. I do wish for better supported graphics which the Shield could easily cope with but you don’t get through the Android app.

I too genuinely don’t get why Zwift don’t just support the Shield as they’re 98% of the way there already. Maybe it’s the additional setups that they can’t streamline - like turning on ANT+ FE-C support and writing the Android app to be controllable using the Shield Remote but at least they’re not actively hobbling us using Zwift on it so I’m not going to complain too vocally and the workarounds make it almost a native app.

3 Likes

I’d consider it as a device if it was supported. Though by the time it is the latest ATV 6th Gen will probably be out.

Suspect it’s a lost cause.

Thanks Dave, and per your recommendation I’ve setup APKPure, allowing same device app updates (albeit manually pulled) and using the Shield TV app “remote” more and more. Having a physical keyboard has still come in handy from time to time, but a morning workout routine using just my phone to get everything started on the big screen is one less excuse to keep me from starting the day right - thanks!

I can’t get the sideloaded app to work. installed the two latest versions and they both crash

I think with the non-event of the latest 2021 Apple TV 4k which is only as good as the 2017 Apple TV 4k maybe it is time Zwift had a new option of running on the NVidia Shield. Potentially it has better speed and would be a superior device so we could move on and have the graphics quality and performance and none of the bluetooth limitations. All the things we hoped for with the new ATV 4k but didn’t get.

1 Like

Perhaps we could start a petition in order to give Zwift developers a glimpse of how many of their customers own an Nvidia Shield or other Google TV (formerly Android TV) device?

I own both an Nvidia Shield and an Apple TV 4K and would love to use my Shield for Zwift. The typing and navigation experience would be much better, the ancient Apple limitation of only 2 concurrent Bluetooth sensors would be gone, and the Tegra X1+ SoC should more than match the A12 Bionic.

The way I see it, the first step would be adding the app to the Google TV Play Store. In doing so, the service would be available to a larger, non-technical Android crowd, not just those capable of sideloading. Maybe if the userbase grew sufficiently, we could get configurable graphics and support for various remote controls further down the road.

2 Likes

I’d love this as well, got a 2020 Shield TV which would be perfect for Zwift.

I have managed to sideload the APKPure app on the Shield TV, but it is apparently not possible to install Zwift and manage updates with APKPure anymore.

1 Like