Game Update 1.23 - March 9th, 2022

So I have to ask. People run this on iPads, and phones, are you telling me that they do not need the high end graphics, we just need them on the PC? If so- why can’t they run a lower end for people who don’t want to update hardware. I know I can do the update, the question is do I want to do it. Yes it is a one time purchase of a part, and not that crazy a price, but you add that into a monthly subscription which is more of a luxury item, not something I need now that spring is here and I will be outside on the bike more than on zwift. I have to decide whether it is worth it. Also thanks for your response and information it is greatly appreciated.

Unless I’m mistaken, the HD2000 is at least 10yrs old. Zwift doesn’t run on 10yr old iPhones or iPads.

If you’re going to be going outside now that Spring has arrived, pause your Zwift subscription while you decide if you want to update your hardware.

2 Likes

@shooj : For TV OS, PLEASE tell the developers to STOP having the updates cause our login and power data to be reset/deleted. This doesn’t happen with all updates, but it does happen frequently enough to be very frustrating. I get tired of having to develop a new power curve every few updates (even if the power curve data has issues of its own).

@Dave_ZPCMR : I think this qualifies as an ATV bug, right?

5 Likes

+1

Happens to me as well for years now it would seem, but definitely not every update. I haven’t noticed any pattern to it either. I could not care less about the power curve, but having to get my phone out to rekey the login credentials is a PITA.

1 Like

After this update the order of the weeks of the “Build Me Up” training plan changed or got mixed up.

I am doing a 10 week plan and currently am in week 9.
Since the update, another week was inserted for (already finished) week 8.
Zwift now wants me to do the original 8th week schedule and doesn’t let me progress to the training I should be doing until Sunday evening (original week 9).

I believe this has to do with the fact that, if you do a 12 week plan, in week 8 a short recovery week is inserted.

As I am training with a group of others, I know at least one other person with the same issue that I have and also know that the recovery week is inserted if doing a 12 week plan.

Hope this gets fixed quickly!
Thanks

As mentioned above, it’s not that high end hardware is needed (well… don’t get me started) it’s more that the graphics device on your particular PC is really old and to be honest it wasn’t even suitable for 3D games back then anyway. It was designed for just getting a picture out, not complex 3D rendering.

The integrated graphics part of processors has come a long, long way in the last decade, and this includes in phones and tablets. In 2011 when your processor was launched, the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 were current. Zwift won’t run on those either.

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen from others I actually prefer the old UI.

I’m old skool though :slight_smile:

That makes sense to me. Appreciate the information.

2 Likes

Think of it a bit like an old car, there comes a time when getting it through its MOT will cost more than the car is worth and although the car still technically works it’s time for a new car!

There’s a number of reasons* why I wouldn’t personally buy it, but something like this comes complete and would keep you going for at least a couple more years on Zwift. Very similar in performance to an Apple TV 4K, without any of the limitations. $85 and accepting offers. You don’t have to spend a lot.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304386809494

*Proprietary inside, poor airflow, upgrade path ain’t great (will only take a single slot graphics card, meaning a GT 1030 at most), expensive versus buying one incomplete and adding your own RAM/SSD etc etc.

1 Like

At the risk of going off topic slightly, how much better are 4th gen internal graphics? How much longer do you think they’ll be supported. I have an old 4th gen i5 (not sure which) pc I sometimes use.

The main pc I use is 6th gen i5 so hopefully that has some life left in it

4th gen was a substantial improvement on 3rd gen and earlier in terms of integrated graphics. In terms of Zwift it’s miles better, and able to do around 30fps at 1080p on Basic profile (essentially the same as an ATV4K, hence why I always mention it). No major steps up after that until Ryzen came along, which is obviously far more modern.

2 Likes

I have been using Zwift on ATV since it came out have yet to see login credentials get reset on ATV.

I hadn’t had that either until this latest update, where I had to go through the pain (a strong password combined with no keyboard) to login again.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll break out my ATV again to see if it happens on mine, too. (Two previous Zwift updates didn’t require manual entry of the login credentials.)

By the way, if you have an iPhone, it’s possible to activate the ATV remote widget in the ‘Control Center’ and, if any character-entry is required, the phone keyboard deploys, which speeds things up immensely.

This is a known issue with “shortened” plans for the update (for instance the 10 week BMU plan).

Their plan to mitigate is here:
Progress bug in Training Plan [March 2022] [v 1.23.0] - Known Issues - Zwift Forums

In the meantime you can select individual BMU workouts in the workouts section.

1 Like

Any Zwift progress on improving the Apple TV remote control?

1 Like

Any progress on the Zwift improvement for the Apple TV remote? Waiting patiently for 2 years and counting.

1 Like

After 2yrs you should have mastered the necessary techniques to use the remote :smile:

I’ve been using Zwift on AppleTV since it was possible (2017?) While generally okay, I still on the odd occasion have issues selecting something :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: And if you haven’t done so already, get one of those silicone cases for the remote. It’s a game changer! Remote is easier to hold, use, find, etc…

1 Like

CPU weirdness continues. Been testing two PCs on the same platform, with the same RAM generation/capacity/speed/config, same dedicated GPU/driver version/settings, same Win10 install and exact same process used to set them both up. The only difference is the CPU; one is showing the unexpectedly low frame rate issues I’ve mentioned and the other is not (it’s performing as before/as expected). Historically there would be no discernable performance difference in Zwift whatsoever between these two CPUs despite one being much more capable in other applications. I’ve also swapped the CPUs around to verify it’s not anything else affecting the frame rates, like BIOS or microcode version.

Main differences between the two CPUs are as follows.
Core i3-4160: 2c/4t @ 3.60GHz, integrated graphics*, 3MB L3 cache, desktop class
Xeon E3-1240 v3: 4c/8t @ 3.80GHz (turbo), no integrated graphics, 8MB L3 cache, server class

*tested with it both enabled and disabled in BIOS, no change

At this point all I can think of is the i3 is getting hammered by something and the Xeon is unaffected by it, or can cope with it. Is the new UI trying to use integrated graphics? Could it be related to previous generation iGPU support being dropped? If say the game suddenly requires four physical cores from now on, or more cache, then it doesn’t make sense that people on far more modern/capable CPUs than either of these are seeing the same issue.

Probably just rambling away to myself here, and whether it’s of any help I’ve no idea. But hey, we’re asked to report unusual stuff and this definitely qualifies to me.

5 Likes