Game Update 1.23 - March 9th, 2022

https://streamja.com/6Ko2N

https://streamja.com/q5X1k

2 Likes

Anyone else bothered by that? Anyone?

By what? What?

The videos @Dave_ZPCMR posted

Looking for a response from Zwift to be clear.

Just for fun hereā€™s my main rig with vsync disabled: https://streamja.com/BOJM3

Casual 50fps penalty for looking the way youā€™re going.

1 Like

@Dave_ZPCMR Unless Iā€™m missing something, it makes sense that fps would drop if looking at something w/moving elements vs a static wall per se. Whether or not the fps drop-off is reasonable I have no idea :man_shrugging: On the other hand, if this drop-off is new or exaggerated in the same circumstances w/the new updates, then something got borked :thinking:

The GPU is never maxed out on any of the videos - see the second one for proof - so the frame rate isnā€™t being affected by what itā€™s having to render. There is a massive CPU load holding the GPU back, that historically has never been present in those circumstances (solo, not busy etc).

As for whether itā€™s a reasonable impact, obviously on my main system itā€™s not really a concern, I just wanted to show that the issue is still present and is still massively damaging the output. But on lower end systems itā€™s far more significant because itā€™s dropping the resultant frame rate below 60fps, where it never has before. The exception being Makuri Islands, which has always been this bad.

2 Likes

So, low CPU utilization can still result in a CPU bottleneck? Itā€™s not like the %CPU moved much either way. Or is that %CPU low due to being multi-core and Zwift not making use of the full CPU capacity?

Yeah, Zwift never utilises anywhere near the full capacity of any CPU (well, apart from really old ones) so that particular percentage figure doesnā€™t really mean anything - unlike the GPU one which is very straightforward. The GPU isnā€™t maxed out, meaning it has more to give. But the system isnā€™t hitting the 60fps target. The bottleneck in this instance is the CPU. The point of those videos and what Iā€™ve been complaining about is that up until the last two game updates, that behaviour would not happen to anywhere near the significance in those circumstances - if at all. And itā€™s causing systems that historically would have been locked at 60fps to be well below it.

Hereā€™s another example. The graphics card is not struggling here, far from it: Streamja - Simple video sharing

2 Likes

@Dave_ZPCMR : I know next to nothing about how computers work, but Iā€™ve been following your commentary on this matter because I find it fascinating at some level. In reading what you are saying, and putting it together with some comments on other threads (probably incorrectly) I am wondering this:

Is it possible that with the new UI being introduced (which seems to correspond with when you began noticing issues) that Zwift is somehow running two concurrent instances of the game: one which the user sees (with whichever UI they have been assigned) and one which they donā€™t see (with whichever interface they are not assigned)? Sounds far-fetched, I suppose, but is it possible that there could be a Zwift multiverse, with a user only being able to see one, even though more than one exists?

Itā€™s possibly related, and is something Iā€™ve also speculated on because the timing seemed to match. The user interface overlay has always had a larger than expected impact on frame rates (once we could disable the HUD it became clear). However Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s a red herring, and the underlying issue is possibly to do with culling. Stuff like the new UI probably isnā€™t helping but itā€™s as though stuff much further away than normal/required is being calculated, even though you canā€™t actually see it.

So in that clip above from Watopia example, it gets worse when the camera is aimed towards the shadows of Titans Grove over the other side of the hill. The Richmond ones are looking down a long straight section of road. Other riders and shadows are the things that have always caused a large CPU load in Zwift. Itā€™s as though the game is crunching data up to a mile in the distance instead of say the 1/4 mile it always used to (numbers totally made up). Whatever the root cause is, the game is performing significantly worse than expected.

1 Like

If I can I might just fire up Zwift on my regular Xeon X5690 powered old Mac which runs 3.73ghz on turbo boost (3.46 normal) just to see how it goes as a comparison to what youā€™ve seen.

I canā€™t ride myself because Iā€™m so smashed up after the accident, but watching another rider should do.

Think you have your answer.

Then again itā€™s been like this for at least six weeks and if nobody at the company has even noticed then I guess itā€™s no surprise.

2 Likes

Great now (after 1.23.3) I canā€™t even start a ride. It crashes on starting a ride. This is where it crashes. Iā€™ve already emailed support. So far their responses have been less than helpful as theyā€™ve been a waste of time to read through.

Provide some information and possible solutions that might work instead of canned responses with links to support pages that are too generic and unrelated to the issues experienced.

There has been an awful lot of crashing going on with this March release, unfortunately.

Not much consolation, I know, but itā€™s not just you.

I am getting more and more pissed on Zwift as with each and every update we get to more problems seem to appear.

Just did my 5th round of TOW (The longer ride) and in the last few KMā€™s before the finnish line the app closed on it self and I needed to start up the app again and try to resume the ride. At first it looked like it worked, but then I saw I was in the same ride, but I was in the lead in again, but with all the KMā€™s I had ridden. Also I suddenly was wearing a different KIT and riding the carbon Zwift bike.

After riding a few KM hoping to reset it back I finnished my ride and now I have 2 rides mentioned in the companion app. one of 52,7 KM and one of 55,1 KM. Neither of them are showing my 2 PRā€™s, but I seem to have recieved around 2.100 XP for the ride.

But after having a better look I only have recieved 1.400 drops instead of at least 30.000 drops I am sure I allready had on the clock. For most people that does not matter much, but I want to buy a new bike and was saving all the drops I could.

Updated to version 1.23.3 before joining the Tour of Watopia, stage 5, Group A, 4 pm EST USA, Saturday. Zwift froze at exactly 8.9 km from the start.
Decided to do it again at 5 pm, so I restarted the computer, just in case. Started the event, and surprise, it froze again, EXACTLY at the same place, 8.9 km into the event.
I have a good PC, good processor, more than enough RAM and memory, good AMD graphics card, good connection.
The fact that it froze at exactly the same location would indicate that the problem has to be in zwift, maybe it is a problem in the last update? Last day I used zwift was on Tuesday, everything was fine.

Posted in error

Iā€™m not sure what your point is. Youā€™re using a totally different setup in every way.

Iā€™ve built over 75 Zwift PCs now (Intel/Nvidia/Win10), so you get very accustomed to how it feels and performs in various scenarios. Itā€™s performing significantly worse than ever right now, and thereā€™s not been a hint of acknowledgement from Zwift HQ about it. It feels like they are hoping it goes away, like the launcher flickering/stutter, and Makuri Islands where youā€™ve always needed inexplicably powerful hardware to hit 60fps.

ā€œDoesnā€™t affect Apple TV, so who cares.ā€

1 Like

updated earlier and everything paired automatically as it should but i had no movement or cadence until i went into the pairing screen and disconnected everything and reconnected, then it started working on the Neo 2T via Bluetooth, havenā€™t had this issue until this update