FutureWorks Steering Zwift HQ Races [Updated Event Schedule]

critycity

Are you one of the first to own an Elite Sterzo Smart? The first Zwift HQ races featuring FutureWorks Steering are on this weekend!

After you’ve had a chance to play with Steering on your own, and head to Crit City!

After the inaugural test race, we’d love to have your feedback right here on this thread!

UPDATED: Use this link to find Steering-enabled races organized by Zwift HQ

Some more feedback,

I did the Zwift HQ Steering race last weekend and must say it’s really great.
Once you have learned the skills it’s not so difficult to get back in draft. (in this race was almost everyone with the unit,…i guess)
With some good steering technic it’s also a (little bit) more easy to close a gap if you are dropped a few seconds as you can see in my stream. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/711080563 (sorry only 720p)

I did also already an event lead with the sterzo , and a wtrl ttt , not any issues for me

Big win: Finally free from Sticky Draft !!

About the unit, it’s solid , very good quality.

EDIT August 21: The tension problem below is solved because i did use the unit upside down.
The Triangle should point up and not down
̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶z̶e̶r̶o̶ ̶c̶e̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶w̶e̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶,̶
̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶w̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶,̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶i̶n̶e̶r̶m̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶p̶s̶,̶
̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶.̶
̶W̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶d̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶r̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶M̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶

Cheers

Hey Sterzo Smart owners - you can now find steering-enabled races on this page. Bookmark this on your browser!

Races for weekend #2 are:

Saturday August 22 2020
16:00 British Summer Time / 08:00 am Pacific Daylight Time

Sunday August 23 2020
08:00 am British Summer Time / 00:00 Pacific Daylight Time

2 Likes

Are you sure you have the Sterzo oriented correctly? I was seeing the behavior you describe (unit slipping under large turning no matter if i used a mat or not) until I realized I had the unit upside down. The triangle should point up and not down.

Will these events be combined like last weekend?

Tim, you made my day
Indeed, the orientation was indeed wrong and so i was also using it upside down!
Thanks
Cheers

Uhhh… It would be nice if this event page had information on… the actual course?

Should we assume its another Downtown Dolphin?

Thanks.

Yup! I’ve pointed this out before… no events have route info on the website, kind of useless.

The Crit City race with steering was very interesting. However, just two races at the weekend is not enough and the times are not convenient. I’d like to see more steering races on other days.

4 Likes

When we see more race with steering? Its amazing stuff! all my friends are waiting for the day when they will be able to buy a Elite sterzo. Now there is no need to buy, because racing only happens few times in the week.

2 Likes

I did my first steering race earlier on this afternoon and I really enjoyed it. I’ve only done two or three races before and found that having steering is a definite improvement. It’s not like real-life steering but it makes racing more fun and more like a game. I’m not sure that the other participants were using steering because I found that taking a tighter line on the corners gave a massive advantage (much more than drafting in the bunch) and I would shoot ahead. Nobody else seemed to be doing this. I found it makes it easier to keep in the bunch when you want. I think it might be an idea to have something that indicates who is using steering and who isn’t. I’m glad I bought the Sterzo as it was a bit of an impulse purchase. I thinks it works better with built-in BT than with ZC - just a bit less laggy. At least that’s my feeling having tried both.

1 Like

the are no events with enabled steering , elite + zwift should NOT sell product witch is NOT SUPPORTED and RETURN BACK MONEY !

1 Like

Tomas it is customary to welcome new users to the forum - so welcome.

I’m sure you really don’t want any money back, what you probably want is for the equipment you have to work the way you would like it to.

Please give as full a description of your equipment as you can:
ATV, PC, laptop, IPad, IPhone etc
Smart Trainer or otherwise
Elite ?
Etc

Please tell us what you were hoping it would do in the perfect world.

I suspect that Tomas wants his Elite Sterzo Smart not to be disabled in the Zwift world events he’d like to join.

Every club event i join tells me that steering (with the front wheel) is disabled , it works only when the event has ended , so tell me why should people buy “Elite STERZO SMART Steering” , they say it has developed with zwift exclusively . So i really think that Zwift should call Elite to return money back to people if you don’t want to support it .

I also discovered there is BUG in zwift companion app , when i create event i’m unable to enable steering

Tomas
In hindsight, and the morning after, I realise that my reply to you last night could have been more welcoming, I apologise.

I sense your frustration and have done a little research this morning. I don’t own a Sterzo Smart but have found the following information which may help. It’s not going to be 100% the answer, in fact probably not even close.

@Wannie has much more experience of how and where steering can best be used so hopefully he will see this post and add whatever he can to help.

I think that steering is available in some group rides and races but they are possibly just very hard to find and only a very small percentage of events.

The link below is a very useful search engine which allows you to filter for steering allowed events. I hope the 90 rides and races in the next 3 days is accurate. (Was 90 now down to 85 as races have taken place since I write this )

There was a June Club update from Zwift - but this has not moved on much in past 4 months.

Club Events Settings

• Steering mode - In Progress

Let’s hope Zwift keep moving steering forwards to the benefit of all those who currently have purchased steering devices.

It’s really pretty simple. Steering should be enabled in ALL events and rides. Just remove the option to disable it.

2 Likes

Fair enough for group rides. But for races, that would then give an advantage to those with steering (and penalise those without).

1 Like

I don’t mind one way or another but how about middle ground:

Group rides and non racing (Zwift) Events - Default on
Racing - Default off

But with option for organiser to reverse as required.

Edit: as per my ZwiftHacks link and enquiry above are some races actually using steering on option. A thread I read through suggested racing wasnt using steering on. Can anyone confirm please.

3 Likes