"Free ride" sections of workouts don't disengage ERG mode on Wattbike Atom

Hi all,

By way of background info, I’m using an Apple TV (will be adding a feature request to “un-end” a workout on that note shortly!) and a Wattbike Atom. I’ve got the companion app on iPhone, and in general all is good - Zwift picks up the bike for cadence & power and heart rate from my Apple Watch (via the companion app). So far so good.

When I do an organised workout - e.g. Zone Benchmarking or Pedalling Drills in the Build Me Up plan - which has “free ride” sections, the ERG does not disconnect. It doesn’t seem to matter whether I try using the action button on the right shifter or the ERG/Incline toggle in the companion app… the bike stubbornly attempts to hold whatever power setting was last used on ERG.

This is annoying on the zone benchmarking, because what’s meant to be a 1 minute interval at a set power becomes 1 minute plus the next free ride interval at the same power and that makes the results less meaningful than they should be. On the pedalling drills one, however, it’s a nightmare. I’m sure there are many cyclists better than me who are capable of unclipping a foot and continuing a cadence unchanged… but I’m not. I unclip one foot, my cadence slows a bit, the resistance goes up to keep the power output constant, and then I’m dead in the water as my (one-legged) cadence slows further.

ERG itself seems to work fine, and “non-ERG” rides are also fine - if I set off on a group ride or whatever and use it in gear mode all is ok… it just seems to be the switch from ERG to not (NB, the power “segment” on the companion app disappears to show that it’s not intentionally controlling it) that doesn’t actually do anything and can’t be overridden on the bike itself. Gear shifters do work, so you can drop the resistance to get pedalling again… but as soon as you stop pressing the button you’re fighting the bike as it tries to get back to the previously set power.

Any suggestions? is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Kev

2 Likes

Just done a similar training session on my new Atom and have the same issue - ended up resorting to coasting down to a standstill instead of free ride. Erg mode also stuck on at the end of the session requiring atom power off and on again.

I wonder if this is an Atom issue or a zwift issue

Andy

1 Like

I’ve just had exactly the same issue on the benchmark test. I’ve only done either freeride or ERG training so far so hadn’t experienced it. Any luck sorting it?

No luck fixing it my side - I’ve just been avoiding rides that include free ride sections. Also annoying at the end of a workout when it does the same… not so terrible if the workout finishes at 70-90% of FTB, but annoying if it’s a cooldown and ends at 23W!

Exactly same issue for me. Cannot see anyway to solve. Has anyone had any luck with it?

I get exactly the same behaviour. I did report it to Wattbike but they don’t seem to believe me despite me giving them my configurations/devices etc. I wish either wattbike or zwift would take it seriously. It’s defo something to do with the AppleTV and how it connects as it works fine when I use my iPad. And like you trying to switch ERG mode off on the companion device also has no effect. Very frustrating when you try and do the FTP test on zwift, you get to the freeride bit and it doesn’t turn off. My guess (as a software engineer) is that it has to do with the AppleTV zwift app… so please Zwift will you fix it, thanks

1 Like

Just done some more investigation. I created a test workout that had 1min erg then 1 min free ride, 1 min erg, 1 min free ride and so on.

I then tried this using

1. iPad Pro, Samsung S10+ (companion app) and Wattbike - worked fine goes in and out of erg mode
  2. iPad Pro, iPhone 8 (companion app) and Wattbike - worked fine goes in and out of erg mode
  3. AppleTV, Samsung S10+ (companion app) and Wattbike - doesn’t work, stays in erg mode
  4. AppleTV, iPhone 8 (companion app) and Wattbike - doesn’t work, stays in erg mode

No matter how many buttons you press on the companion app, the wattbike or the AppleTV it wont come out of erg mode and let you use the gears

If it helps I;ve also tried it with the beta versions of both the AppleTV iOS and Wattbike firmware

So my theory of it being the AppleTV Zwift App holds true I believe.

Zwift could you please fix it now the users have done some simple testing for you

Thanks

5 Likes

I first reported this to both Zwift and Wattbike in March 2019 and it’s really frustrating that it is still not resolved.
Just completed a Zwift Tri session and the same issue persists.
Russ

3 Likes

This issue was reported in another thread in Jan 19 - Calibration for Wattbike Atom - #22 by Andy_Thomas1 - very frustrating that it’s still not been resolved!

1 Like

I had this last night after a warm up in ERG and then could not get above 120w on team time trial :frowning: I have atom wattbike and samsung tablet. No apple TV. Will definitely warm up manually in the future!

1 Like

I first raised this issue in Feb ‘19. I’ve not really been doing structured workouts in 2020 but started One earlier this week and the problem persists. Really poor that it’s not been fixed in the meantime. As others have stated, Zwift seem unwilling to accept the problem exists. Yet the Atom is still stated as Zwift Certified?!?

2 Likes

I cancelled my zwift membership as a result; I only really wanted it for the workouts (riding aimlessly around surrounded by virtual images of people I don’t know was never the draw) and this makes it unusable.

Quite happy with the sufferfest, which has none of the same issues - suggesting the issue is not the bike!

Kev

1 Like

Same here - noticed it a few times now but on Zone Benchmarking this morning it’s way more disruptive. I could only complete the latter half by coming to a stop repeatedly and starting going again before the timer stopped.

A tip for the end of workout when you want to continue and ride normally - unpair and re-pair the Atom Bluetooth - it puts it back into normal mode.

I’ll raise a ticket with Zwift. It needs sorting!

1 Like

Also experiencing this, but not with Apple TV, with Android tablet instead. Very annoying as you just end up freewheeling and your power average drops.

So I raised support tickets with both Zwift and WattBike. I strongly suspect (as do WattBike) that its a Zwift issue as my WattBike Atom works fine on everything else. Its just these “free ride” segments within training that cause the problem.

Zwift just suggested updating the firmware on my bike (its already using the latest version). So not much help there!

2 Likes

I had the same response Nick and I responded to say that I had the latest firmware. I’ve just had a further response
"Thanks for reaching out and reporting this issue; I’m sorry to hear about the trouble!

I’ve checked with our team and they’re aware of this and working on a fix. I’ve flagged your report to them in the hopes it will aid in their investigation. While there isn’t a work-around for this issue as of yet, the fix will come from our end and all you should have to do is keep your Zwift app up to date.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue improving Zwift. Please let us know if there’s anything else that you need assistance with; we’d all be more than happy to help!"

1 Like

Thanks Alison.

I’ve just had a response this morning asking for the logs. Haven’t got around to sending them yet but good to know they’re aware.

Gang, we’re aware of this issue and especially interested in seeing the log files if you’re using a platform other than Apple TV. The ATV operating system is rather locked down, and it won’t let you get to the file location where your logs are kept.

For other OS’s, here’s where to find your logs. Please attach them to an email to support@zwift.com and reference the URL of this discussion somewhere in the body of your email. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi everyone! Slightly different but related issue. I was in a work out yesterday on my Atom on Zwift and switched from gears to ERG and then back again. Once I did that, my gears stopped working. I followed the troubleshooting guide from Wattbike and can’t seem to re-pair my right gear shift. It’s like I’m stuck in erg mode permanently. Has anyone experienced this and found a fix. Been two days and I’ve gotten no response from Wattbike or Zwift. Bummed as I can’t use my bike.

Just want to +1 this issue, seeing the exact same issue with Apple TV (4th gen) in free ride segments of structured workouts only, all other functions of the Atom/Zwift work fine, but this one is killer for the Zeus workout where the segment just before Free Ride is an up-tempo one, so it turns the cooldown into an FTP test that maxes out my heart rate.

Glad to test for you, but with the ATV being a closed system I would guess you’re going to have to troubleshoot this one internally at Zwift with the developer kit. Still, if there’s anything I can do to help solve this one, I’m glad to assist.

2 Likes