Elite Suito + Zwift + fixed gear bike

Hi!

First of all - hello all!
I have just bought an Elite Suito trainer and wanted to start my adventure with Zwift using my track bike, however I have encountered an issue.

Zwift connects quickly to the suito, but the power readings are silly (but I know that this had been discussed here multiple times and I will fiddle with that later on). The biggest problem is the resistance. I though that the whole idea of zwift controlling the resistance is to give a real feel of riding, but the resistance is fluctuating, as it seems, randomly, but mostly it’s hugely bigger on the trainer.
I know that I am no power monster, but I can move my bike around on the streets quite swiftly - on the trainer I have trouble moving forward. I have decreased the difficulty level, but still the issue is the same, nothing changes.

What am I doing wrong? Please help, as this is getting frustrating.

Thanks a lot!
Marcin

Have you updated the firmware on the trainer using the Elite app and calibrated the trainer?

I have calibrated it, but didn’t update. Will try that tomorrow. Do you think this might be the case?

Not sure, Elite suito seems to have a lot of issues as reported on the forums by other users. Hopefully this takes care of it?
:ride_on:

I will try. I am getting a bit frustrated. First had issues with putting the bike on the trainer (mostly because it was not thought to be used with fixed gears, I know, but it’s still frustrating), now this. I just want to ride! :wink: Thank you for replying!

EDIT: I have checked and the firmware is up to date…

Hi, I’m also having problems with setting up and working up the cassette. Did you had to change the cassette?

Hi! So if you’re trying to use a fixed gear, you need a single speed adapter and a cog with high tooth profile in the back. Besides that I suggest using chain tugs, as the force working on the skewer might be enough to move the bike within horizontal dropouts. A qr using hex key bolts instead of a normal one would also help,but with chain tugs is not necessary. Then make sure you have calibrated the trainer properly and all should work just fine, at least in my case it did. Hit me up if you have more questions.

Good luck!

Marcin,
I am hoping to set up my track bike on my Suito as well.
Does your bike have the standard 120mm stay end spacing?
What kind of single speed adapter did you use to get your track bike on the trainer?

Hi!

So yes, it has a 120mm dropouts and works just fine.
The adapter is a normal one you would use to turn a normal wheels with a freehub and a cassette. Just make sure the cog you’re using has a high teeth profile, otherwise your chain may be skipping. Also - it’ll be single speed, not a fixed gear unfortunately.

For this to work your track bike would have to have 130mm stay end spacing or I must be confused about something. The various axle ends provided by Elite with the trainer don’t look like they can be combined in anyway to shorten the axle width to 120mm.

Not really. You can just “stretch” te rear fork a bit. Trust me, it works.

I know this is discussion is old, but I think the reason Marcin was having problems with the power readings and resistance is his Suito probably was not calibrated even though he says he calibrated it. The Suito uses a rolldown calibration (in the Elite app and possibly in the Zwift pairings page if connected by bluetooth,) which after a 10 minute warmup, requires pedaling the bike up to a certain speed (over 30 KPH,) and the the app instructs the rider to stop pedaling and let the rear wheel slow to a stop on its own.

In order to do this with a true fixed gear, it would have to be done with platform pedals with no cleats, and then the rider would have to kick both feet out while trying to remain balanced on the saddle with them in the air while the rolldown takes place. It might be possible to clip out both feet with clipless pedals, but it seems like an injury waiting to happen, not to mention the whole straddling the saddle on the butt without support from the legs and feet.

A better way to ride a fixed gear on Zwift is to use a separate power meter like a Stages Crank or Garmin Rally pedals paired as the power source and then use the Suito as the controllable trainer. That said, Marcin did an awful lot of work to modify his track bike to work with a Suito. The Wahoo Kickr Snap or an Elite Tuo paired with a power meter are much easier solutions for riding a fixed gear on Zwift.

I’ve ridden an Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ and now a Tuo with my track bike on Zwift’s flatter routes since 2017 using a Stages power meter. It feels a little different than riding a fixed gear on the road or track, but that’s because the trainers still have less inertia than what’s encountered IRL.

So I was curious about how Marcin adapted his track bike to the Suito and just noticed the last sentence of his post describing the components he used. If I understand what he is saying, his adapter converted his track bike to a single speed. This contradicts the title of this discussion because he is not Zwifting with a fixed gear. He can do the rolldown calibration because a singlespeed will coast as soon as he stops pedaling.

My post about needing a separate power meter to ride a fix gear on Zwift still stands, but it does not apply to single speed bikes or his situation. Ride on.

Fixtures for fixed gear bikes are generally low-maintenance and their simple design allows the gears to operate more smoothly, allowing them to keep up with the fast and busy pace of life. Having fewer parts means you’ll go faster and lighter.