Current Issues with Elite Direto Trainers

So this tip could help us?

Unfortunately that shouldn’t have anything to do with the operation of the trainer, unless it previously put out some ridiculous high numbers on one of your rides.

1 Like

My take about the issue:
Firstly I must state that I am on Zwift only for approx 2 weeks so I have no idea about the behaviour of the trainer/software before this time.
I am using BT connection for HR belt, trainer power/cadence and ocassionally for the Favero Assioma power meter, and also for the trainer control.
I am using built-in power meter of the trainer (2019 version of Direto, calibration checked and it is OK).
In general, there is a lack of responsibility in erg mode. If following interval is in next higher zone, it is possible to adjust my power output by higher cadence or higher gear. But if it is 2+ zones above it is not enough. Especially in the case of short intervals, I am unable to get the power as needed and interval fails. In the course of longer intervals, the resistance eventually sets up. But from my yesterday’s experience, even 3 mins are not enough!
When the higher resistance/wattage interval ends up, the resistance is not released. The only way to adjust the power output is using lower gear. It is possible only when the desired wattage is not very lower than previous - i.e. when there is a change of 1 power zone or less than, let’s say, 30-40 W. Otherwise, a change of cadence is needed also but it leads immediately to the spiral of death (in this case is the reaction of otherwise nonresponsive software pretty quick). The only way how to deal with this is spin up using VERY high power output and then, sometimes, the resistance is released. There can be several waves of the spiral of death. Interval is ruined again.
And it is not Direto’s fault. In myETraining application, the changes are pretty consistent and predictable.
What I noticed, during the intervals in Zwift I hardly heard any sounds of stepper. In Elite’s software, I hear the stepper action every time it is needed almost instantly.

I will test the issue in ANT+ FE-C mode eventually, but at the moment I haven’t ANT+ stick.

Hey, I had a similar problem with no resistance or let’s say very inconsistent.
Use iPad and BT, Direto Wattage is calibrated and spot on with my Assioma Wattage pedals, no difference. But, the problem was resistance when I was climbing or going downhill in Zwift - no change… So, yesterday I plugged out the electric power for about 30 seconds and then I turned on again, since the everything is fine. I feel all the climbing and downhill in Zwift again.
Maybe it’s necessary to make a restart of Direto, when you use theMyEliteApp or calibrate the trainer.
I don’t know, if it’s of any help, but since that I am happy Zwift User again, let’s see for how long.

1 Like

Thanks for your tip.
It may be useful even to set the Power Smoothing

at 10 on the MyEtraining app.
Or, at least, should u give a try to that value.

I’ve been having issues with the power resistance hunting in ERG mode while doing a workout. Power seems to fluctuate up to +/- 50W while holding a constant cadence.

After reading through this thread I’ve adjusted my power smoothing to 6 from 2, have unplugged and replugged the Directo’s power cord, and unpaired/paired the Directo in Zwift. I don’t know if this is new after the latest Zwift update but I don’t have a choice between Elite Real and Elite FE-C. Only Elite.

My setup is Apple TV 4K, iOS companion app, and Wahoo Tickr HR. All connected via Bluetooth.

I haven’t tested this yet, but just wondering if anyone else has noticed only 1 choice for the trainer vs the previous 2 choices? (It’s been a couple months since I initially setup my Directo with Zwift but I think it had 2 choices at the time.)

Hi Sven, welcome to the Elite Direto’s bug community!!!
I have just the same identically issue with my Direoo II (2019).
We all expect, or at least, we hope Elite is coming with a firmware update but until now this remains only a far hypothesis.
Have you tried to exclude Companion app, hearth monitor and use directly the Elite’s cadence sensor instead of an external ant+ one? I think it could be an interference between bluetooth and Ant+ .sources.

Hi Francesco,

I will try increasing the power smoothing on my Direto - do you know what range is advised?

Also, when you change your wheel circumference in myETraining to 2096, for example, does it show up as 2096 for you? Mine always stays at 172 or 173 in myETraining.

Thanks

1 Like

Regarding setting the “Smoothing” within the Elite phone app:

I had a long discussion with someone on the Facebook Elite Direto Users group who said they had spoken directly with Elite about this. According to him, Elite said that the “smoothing” setting in the Elite phone app, ONLY affects the smoothing for the Elite phone apps. It does NOTHING for Zwift, Trainerroad, Sufferfest, etc.
To me, it seemed like when I changed it, it did make a difference in Zwift, but perhaps it was a placebo affect.
And despite having changed it in the phone app, I still feel power fluctuations in ERG mode or when riding on a flat road in Zwift, regardless of how rock-steady, I try to keep my cadence.
I think it’s the way Zwift implemented ERG mode and resistance changes, as mentioned in the post above that shows the DC Rainmaker post.

1 Like

Hi, to me was show up as 2070, i don’t think it may cause too many differences. According to Shame Miller on Youtube, the correct value seems to be 174 (2105). I put it there.

@ Dave.
it’s not completely correct. The power smoothing doesn’t affect only the power for the Elite app.
It’s a settings of the trainer and affects the power sent out, so it’s valid for all the sw connected to the trainer.
But it’s true that it doesn’t affect the simulation as it’s an average of few (or less) pedal strokes, so you still need to push harder to go faster :wink:
It’s like the “3 sec avg” of “Power Display” settings but on the trainer side.

@Gaetano_Mercante
Do you have this on authority from Elite? The individual I spoke with on Facebook said he had that information directly from Elite.

The issue might be that Elite trainers are pairing to a non controllable protocol at random instead of the protocol that supports control. This is something we are still investigating and are very aware of so please let us know what trainer you are using and the specific issue you are experiencing. Thank you for being patient with us!

1 Like

@Vincent_Williams1
I am using an Elite Direto 1 linked via ANT+ to a Windows 10PC running Zwift. I have a Garmin 1030 but the Direto is only paired to that to provide Speed/Cadence via ANT+
I also have Pioneer Dual Sided power meter, not paired to Zwift, only to the Garmin 1030.
I am using a Wahoo HR monitor via ANT+ to Zwift and to Garmin 1030.
I experience fluctuations of resistance during interval in ERG mode and it also seems to fluctuate resistance when riding on what shows to be a flat road when in “Just ride” mode in Zwift.
If I test it using the Elite training App or use my Garmin to control resistance, the resistance is very steady/consistent.
Also, if I user my Garmin or the Xert IQ app on my Garmin to control the Direto, changes in resistance when doing intervals occur much more quickly, than in Zwift.

Well my ANT+ USB stick finally arrived and - issue solved.
ERG mode is doing well. However it must be noted that Zwift lists more devices and it is important to pair to proper signals with ANT+. I initially paired bad source as power meter signal and in the result I was standing during 80 rpm effort :smiley:
Seems like problem with not-so-standardized BT device control protocol for me.

Hello,
I have two setups: Windows 10 pc with Ant+ key and Ipad Pro with BT. The Direto trainer is paired with PC/ipad pro I also have Favero Assioma pedals connected to my Garmin Fenix 5 which is not connected to the Direto.
In Erg everything seems fine. In Sim it is fine on flats while in climbs resistance every couple of minutes goes to zero and comes back after 8-10 seconds. Additionally I have weird reactions when shifting to a smaller cog since resistance spikes up like 100watts and seems to increase constantly until I reduce cadence
Thanks
Daniel

1 Like

Are you using Elite’s cadence sensor?

Yes I’m using Elite’s cadence sensor.

Btw I have just received an email from Zwift’s support, they have been very supportive and explained that the development team is working on a fix for this and that at the moment there is no workaround so the only thing is to keep the client updated

D.

1 Like

Let’s see that email please!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here you go

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reporting this issue!

I’ve checked with our dev team, and they’re working on a fix. While there isn’t a workaround for this issue yet, the fix will come from our end, so all you should have to do is keep your game client updated. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue improving Zwift.

One more thing- I’ve seen two posts about this issue on the forums. Check out this link to an article​ I found by one our Zwifters

If there’s anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Ride On!

Ash W.
Member Experience Agent

1 Like