** ISSUE FIXED **
** CAUSE FOUND **
The issue of resistance significantly above target wattage in ERG mode and, in some instances affecting sim mode with the Direto XR, has been found to be dust/lint and dried grease on the motor screw
This causes the motor to stutter and stick when adjusting the resistance magnets, therefore not positioning correctly for target resistance.
FIX IS AS FOLLOWS
Contact Elite tech support to report issue and for authorization to perform cleaning procedure of motor screw; email@example.com
They will send you instructions on the cleaning procedure and motor manipulation using the My e-training app.
Remove side cover and left side cowling to get full access to motor cradle assembly. Using a toothbrush, carefully and gently clean motor screw with a light degreaser and ensure ALL dust/lint and old grease has been removed. Wipe dry.
See attached image of before and after cleaning
Re lubricate with Vaseline grease (Elite’s recommendation) and using the Elite my-e training app, run the motor at least a dozen times up and down the full range to distribute lubrication.
Motor will now run smoothly and position magnets accurately for correct resistance.
Anyone interested in case details and how I got to this point, continue reading
I noticed a significant difference between the target wattage the workout is asking for and the wattage trainer was making me do.
For example, the workout would be asking for 200w, but the trainer would have me at 280+ at low cadence and still be asking me to reduce power. The problem was unpredictable and sporadic but very noticeable.
Contacted Zwift about the problem and case opened. Did several test rides highlighting problems. Sent log files to them and had them check everything on their end.
While waiting for Zwift to run their checks, I contacted Elite tech support (Sonia) and opened a case. Did all basic checks, calibration, offset value, sent eprom data, videoed motor movement and all were ok.
Did custom workouts on their my-etraining app to replicate problem and sent csv files for their analysis.
They determined the board could be issue, and they sent me a new board.
I got the new board and installed it. The problem was not resolved. I concluded it had to be firmware and requested a firmware downgrade. Elite sent me ver73 to try. This didn’t work and Elite suggested a replacement trainer.
Before opting for replacement, I decided to check motor movements again. This time, I noticed a section along the screw where the motor was stuttering and sticking. This was not caught in earlier checks as the problem was more sporadic at the time.
I made a video and sent it to Elite for their advice. They recommended thoroughly cleaning and re lubrication of motor screw.
I did as instructed, and all is working perfectly now.
I did a couple of test rides and workouts, and so far, resistance is perfectly on point.
I will continue to do test rides and will be reporting back to Zwift and Elite the fix and to close cases.