Current Issues with Elite Direto Trainers

Well my ANT+ USB stick finally arrived and - issue solved.
ERG mode is doing well. However it must be noted that Zwift lists more devices and it is important to pair to proper signals with ANT+. I initially paired bad source as power meter signal and in the result I was standing during 80 rpm effort :smiley:
Seems like problem with not-so-standardized BT device control protocol for me.

Hello,
I have two setups: Windows 10 pc with Ant+ key and Ipad Pro with BT. The Direto trainer is paired with PC/ipad pro I also have Favero Assioma pedals connected to my Garmin Fenix 5 which is not connected to the Direto.
In Erg everything seems fine. In Sim it is fine on flats while in climbs resistance every couple of minutes goes to zero and comes back after 8-10 seconds. Additionally I have weird reactions when shifting to a smaller cog since resistance spikes up like 100watts and seems to increase constantly until I reduce cadence
Thanks
Daniel

1 Like

Are you using Elite’s cadence sensor?

Yes I’m using Elite’s cadence sensor.

Btw I have just received an email from Zwift’s support, they have been very supportive and explained that the development team is working on a fix for this and that at the moment there is no workaround so the only thing is to keep the client updated

D.

1 Like

Let’s see that email please!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here you go

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reporting this issue!

I’ve checked with our dev team, and they’re working on a fix. While there isn’t a workaround for this issue yet, the fix will come from our end, so all you should have to do is keep your game client updated. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue improving Zwift.

One more thing- I’ve seen two posts about this issue on the forums. Check out this link to an article​ I found by one our Zwifters

If there’s anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Ride On!

Ash W.
Member Experience Agent

1 Like

I have made a little video of my experience on erg mode on Zwift,it’s a Youtube link.

The video is unavailable for me, unfortunately.

The resistance in my workout ride last night felt a lot more stable than the previous ride, and the graphs in Strava show much better defined power curves.

Emily’s Short Mix:

Last week’s workout graph:

Last night’s workout graph:

I sandwiched a “free ride” between these and the resistance seemed to be fine and followed the elevation changes well on the route.

Things I changed after the first workout:
Smoothing in Elite app from 2 to 6
Unpaired/paired my Directo to Zwift on Apple TV 4K
Disabled device connection in companion app settings
Removed Wahoo cadence pod from shoe (use this for outdoor ride)

No clue if any or all of this had anything to do with the better feel in the second workout or not.

Try now I have check the link

1 Like

I replied in your video. Ciao Fabrizio.

For what it’s worth: last night I had my first ride on Zwift in a long time where the resistance was closer to expected. Resistance levels were still a bit off, I would say - I cannot climb an 8% climb on the big ring, middle of the cassette, usually.

The only differences from last time:

• Had “forgotten” the Elite on my Wahoo computer
  • Had slightly readjusted belt tension

I will continue to test.

1 Like

Thanks for your reports.

Hey folks, me again (you can reference my issues reported earlier un thus thread).

I followed the advice in this thread to adjust circumference size in MyETrainig and it worked! Went into MyETraining and added Direto as a new trainer. I’ve accepted the default value of 2070mm (this later displays as 171 in the settings screen). Before that I had 173mm set as circumference following some Internet advice (apparently valid only for receiveing devices)

I closed the app, started Zwift and the first thing I did was run the power calibration in the sensor selection screen. FYI previously I couldnt spin up the trainer higher than 4km/h (in the calibration screen), this time around I was able to put 40km/h - I had to use large cog - and I let it freewheel to 0. Seems ok! I joined Innsbruck and first time in month I was able to put sprint power in flats in free ride mode withouting the invoking jet engine sound so it seems my problem was solved. Tomorrow I’m going to join a group ride and see if it still workds - if not I’ll report back

Thanks for the update Aleksander. On my last two rides I had somewhat better resistance and in my case, it correlated with my Wahoo not having the Direto registered as a sensor. I am not 100% sure that this is the cause of it, but it seems like it could be.

@Nico
I’ve found that the Wahoo Elemnt creates some trouble.

Once you connect it to the trainer, Elemnt sets the rider weigth to 0. Of course this creates some problem to the simulation expecially on uphill.

Moreover, even if you don’t start any program/workout, it continues to send to the trainer the command to brake at 10% of the max.

Not sure that could be your the case, but if the trainer is simulating an uphill and receives that commands, likely the resistance will go very low.

Luklily Zwift sends the simulation commands very often (every 1 sec, I belive) so it fixes that resistance quickly.

the only way to prevent Elemnt to send commands is to set it in Passive Mode.

In order to set the right weigth to the trainer is to use the Elite myEtraining app. once you start a trainig session/program, the app sends the rider+bike weigth to the trainer.

‘Calibrating trainer multiple times’ - I don’t think this means what you think it means.

When you use Elite’s MyETraining app to go into ‘advanced configuration’ and click ‘trainer calibration’ and are instructed to ‘start pedaling’ etc… this process doesn’t actually do anything to calibrate the trainer or make it more accurate!!

All it does is display your trainer’s current ‘offset’.

You must compare this number to the one that is hand-written on a sticker located on the bottom of your trainer.

IF the value you get from the app is different (usually lower) by more than 5… then you need to adjust your trainer’s belt tension to really re-calibrate the trainer. The process is simple enough, and doesn’t need to be done often - but there’s a ton of confusion and misinformation online about this topic and the Elite manual is hardly clear about it.

This should help:

3 Likes

Also…

If you connect to your trainer via bluetooth (as you might with the E-training app during a calibration check, or with any other app) - you MUST cycle the power on the trainer (unplug it, or cycle the outlet w/ a power strip on/off switch) if you’re using ANT+ FE-C in Zwift to control resistance.

If, at any time during a Zwift ride, you open the E-training app on a mobile device to check calibration? ZWIFT’s Resistance control will be lost - and it won’t resume unless you 1. Close the app. 2. Cycle trainer power off and on. And 3. Enter the Zwift pairing screen to un-pair and pair again (or, close Zwift and re-launch).

I’m frustrated because zwift worked normally for me for the last two sessions. I had “forgotten” the Direto on my wahoo. Then I used the wahoo for erg mode and had zwift on my record power from my power meter.

Today I wanted to zwift normally and made sure to forget the trainer on the wahoo and connected zwift as before. Again random resistance with resistance going super high, releasing, etc.

What did I miss? Is it possible that the trainer had my weight wrong? Though I don’t understand why the trainer would have my weight stored…

1 Like

Hello, if it can comfort yourself, it’s the problem that is gripping too many Elite users lately. And it’s happening to me too. Personally, I have seen a problem with the Garmin cadence sensors, you have to use the Elite one. Try that first.