Connection Failure Whilst Riding

On the Mac you can hold down the option key while clicking on the WiFi icon in the menu bar and it will tell you which band it’s using. Changing the channel is something you’d have to do by logging in to the router or access point. If you want to try ANT+ instead of Bluetooth, you will need to buy a dongle and extension cable.

Thanks for this, I am already on 5ghz wifi

Well for the 2nd day running I’ve had no connection warnings.
Today was during TDZ stage 4.

Not sure if my issue was localised or if Zwift have done some tweaking their end.

1 Like

Out of interest have you changed anything in your set up?

Thinking back to my stage 1 ride where I had no issues, the only difference change I have made to my setup is the position of my laptop which is now in front of me but closer to the house (as I’m in the conservatory) with that one of the rooms upstairs has a 2 pc’s and a few bluetooth devices which may be knocking my signal out.

Going to revert to putting my laptop behind me and streaming to the Apple TV again to see if further from the house sorts the issue.

Do you mean you were warned you had no connection or you did not have any connection warnings?

I had no warnings.

Everything was perfect

Another stage (stage 4 TDZ) another connection failure 2.8km in :expressionless:

Really frustrating stuff.

Is there any way for me to have a wired connection so the connection is solid throughout? Not entirely sure what Ant+ is but will changing to this help?

Could the issue be with the trainer (wahoo kickr core)?

Will having a wired wifi connection via ethernet cable help?

Thanks

That’s no wired connection option for your trainer.

Thanks Gerrie, Have you any more suggestions as to what I could possibly do to fix my issues or could it be the trainer itself?

I have only been able 2 complete 2 rides out of around 7 or 8 attempts due to this.

My warnings have ceased as quickly as they arrived.

Zero change in my setup.

I long for that moment :rofl: I literally can’t even get in to a sweat before it cuts out

Our issues are different as you’re losing your paired devices which is “connection failure”
I’m getting “connection disconnected” which is a communication error with Zwift.

If i were you I’d move onto ANT+ if that’s applicable to your setup.

Ah I see, will ant+ give me a more secure connection and I need a ant+ receiver or receiver and dongle which I have seen mentioned online.

Christian, I experienced exactly the same problem. Trainer, HR, & earbuds all connected to Mac Air Pro via BT in front of the bike. It worked for a while but then suddenly trainer disconnected continuously. Nothing helped. Since using a USB cable & ANT dongle located next to the trainer it never failed again.

I think this is all I need to hear as it is now beyond frustrating.

For Ant+ I need a receiver that goes in to my Mac and a dongle to put under my trainer I assume?

That’s what you need yes. It’ll give you a much more stable connection than BT.

Less prone to interference.
Having it under your trainer isn’t always necessary. You might be ok with the dongle in your laptop but history shows it’s better to get an extension lead to move the dongle closer.

No need to buy the expensive ones either.

just the ANT stick (mine is from Garmin). when connected you will see both, the BT & the ANT trainer in the paring list. then just select the ANT trainer. that’s all.

I think the main problem is the receiver in the laptop is to far from the trainer. You need to get the receiver close to the trainer and away from othe relectronics.

On both my setups I have ANT+ receivers on usb extensions and close to the trainer.

I also run Bluetooth and that is also on an extension (mostly for testing). (Bluetooth has gotten a lot better.)

Ant+ always reacts slower than bluetooth - it is worth trying to get bluetooth to work.

you said this a while back - are you usng the companion app as a bluetooth bridge?

if so you should use the laptop’s bluetooth to pair the devices, this will be much better, especially if you are having wifi issues.

if you close the companion app it might be that this is cutting the connection.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion, although when using Zwift I have been turning the bluetooth on my phone so I pair the HR monitor directly on my MacBook already, companion app I then run off my phone network.

Will see how the Ant+ works out as for some reason the bluetooth just doesn’t want to work