Connection Disconnected

On a group ride on Saturday, we had quite a few of these (including one for me), most of them happening to people who don’t usually experience network problems (including me). Wondering if something has changed in the latest version (+ quickie patch)…

I had them prior to the patch but as mysteriously as they appeared they stopped without anything changing.

I was getting a different warning today - it said connection unstable - i hadn’t ever seen that before.

happened on tour de zwift and seemingly only when a lot of other riders were around.

1 Like

Has something changed on this?
I am getting both connection disconnected and connection unstable warnings. I have rebooted my router, everything else runs fine and doesn’t seem to be affected by poor internet.
Even in game the rider list doesn’t disappear, if the banner wasn’t across the top i’d have no idea anything was wrong.

is there anyway to turn the warnings off? they are very annoying and seemingly my connection seems okay.

I’ve been getting these messages far more frequently, also, especially the ‘connection unstable’ one, though nothing has changed with my setup, or with other potential ‘disturbances’ being added to the area. For me, the ‘connection unstable’ message is then followed by Zwift going to a black screen, and then crashing, which is an experience I never had previously.

I feel that something has changed on the Zwift side that is making this more prevalent for users, and am hoping they will find a solution soon.

I’d never seen the connection unstable one before yesterday, mine just pops up and the goes away again but happens all the time and is really annoying - really wish you could turn it off.

nothing changes in game for me, no crashes or anything.

and nothing has changed with my set up either.

I got a “connection disconnected” message yesterday too but never lost other riders on screen or anything else noticable other than the message on screen. This is on Windows 10 with a 300 mps fiber connection.

same here. The only thing i noticed was when i was in the tour de zwift my position would go blank for a second then come back - like it had lost my place in the list.

I wonder if all the tour events happening and having to give everyone their position that will be constantly changing is too much for zwift’s servers. I did notice it happened more when there were more people around me or new people came in to view.

1 Like

Had that situation several times recently on my Mi A2 Android app. Like Chris, temporarily lost position number.

Something is definitely up with this - i tried using my laptop this evening and getting the same thing, my internet connection is fine.

has zero issues before yesterday now i’m getting those warnings all the time - really really annoying.

This is what happened to me. Got the connection disconnected banner, my position number went to “–”, but all the riders around me were always visible, and their w/kg were constantly updating, in 30s or so the “–” updated back to my position, and I never really lost connection as far as I know.

I wonder if the connection disconnected banner is just more sensitive than it used to be, and if one packet is dropped somewhere it shows up even though your experience overall might still be connected.

1 Like

does anyone know of any way to turn the banner off? it is really annoying. any PC hacks to get rid of it?

There’s an x in the top right corner, but I’m not sure how persistent its effect is.

That just gets rid of that instance of it, it comes back again next Tim unfortunately

Chris,

Bear with it. If it’s like mine it’ll just disappear as soon as it comes.
Had a week of runs with it appearing with no impact other than the annoying banner.

Then one day it stopped appearing.

But why does it happen? Is it zwift side or my side that’s causing it?

I get the warning pop up every couple of minutes and the banner is very intrusive as it is right across the whole screen.
Nothing has changed my side and happens on different PCs so don’t think it’s me that’s wrong here.

I just wish I could turn it off. Not too sure what they expect me to do with that I formation? I can tell.if things are really bad because the other riders will disappear. If everything is running as it should otherwise why do I need to be repeatedly warned about my connection?

Nothing about my configuration changed so i put it down to a server side issue.

That said I’m running Zwift across a MESH network and my speed tops out at a measly 16mbps so i could never rule out my end.

I’d never had any connecting issues running this way for 5 years and to get it over a period of 4 days implied to me it wasn’t my end.

These happened during solo runs both in and out of events and these were events with nobody else on screen.

The banner is frustrating as it chops across the top of the screen and it puts you on high alert that something serious is about to happen and when I’m running i need to stay focused rather than my mind drifting onto connection issues.

1 Like

During a race today I noticed I was pushing 4Mb to Zwift approx every 10seconds - consistently. This is in contrast to the less than 0.250Mb I am used to seeing. No idea when it started as I havent really kept an eye on throughput but had been keeping an eye for dropped connections (due to this thread).

On a clean network 4Mb is nothing, on anything else though, it could translate to data competing and therefore dropping non-essential data.

All the extra holoreplays maybe?

1 Like

Yeah could well be. Zwift have said they were looking tp push more data to ZCA as well and someone spilled the beans on Eric having a video camera button hinting at user recording … who knows what they are doing.

I’ve noticed for about the same amount of time this thread has been hotting up that ZP Live has been flakey too but that could well be coincidental and me just making stuff up.