Companion App connection problems? [iOS 18] [macOS 15]

I got it working by:
Going to Settings on my M2 Mac mini
Scrolling down to and selecting ‘Privacy & Security’
Selecting ‘Local Network’

Strangely enough, ‘Zwift’ was included in the list already, and the toggle was activated. But after I switched off the toggle, waited for a few seconds, and switched it back on again, the companion app switched to ‘map mode’.

Hardware:
M2 Mac mini, macOS 15
iPhone 13 mini, iOS 18

I do not have this option on my macbook pro m1…

No solution found so far…

Resolved on my MacBook Pro (m3) by removing Zwift and reinstalling. On first start up I was prompted to allow local network access. This resolved the issue I had with both Direct Connect trainers not appearing on the pairing options and the Companion app not switching to ride/map mode.

4 Likes

Thx for the Info. i had to do the reinstall thing 3 times. On the 3rd installation, i was asked about the local network access.

1 Like

Looks like I spoke too soon. I noticed that my actions above only worked for one Zwift session. The next time I started Zwifting, no ‘map view’ in Companion.

So, I decided to do a complete uninstall, reboot, and then re-install. I don’t get a popup asking for network permission when i start Zwift the first time after installing, nor is Zwift in the list of apps under ‘Local Network’ permissions any more.

I see that @Manuel_Puhringer had to try the uninstalling/installing dance several times before he got the popup, so I’ll have to try again when I get home to see what happens.

I suspect this is a macOS glitch rather than anything else…

1 Like

Update:
I uninstalled/reinstalled Zwift one more time, and this time, on first launch, I got the Local Network Access popup. After allowing the connection, the Companion app switched to Map Mode after selecting a route in Zwift on the Mac.

However:
All is fine as long as I don’t reboot the Mac. After a reboot, the Companion connection issue appears again. After a reboot, Zwift is still in the list of apps in Settings->Privacy&Security->Local Network, and the switch to the right is ON.

When this happens, the only way for me to get the Companion to switch to Map Mode is to set Zwift’s Local Network switch to the OFF position, wait a few seconds, and then switch it to ON again. A few seconds after doing that, the Companion app switches to Map Mode.

So at the moment, as long as I don’t shut down the Mac between Zwift sessions, it’s fine. Even allowing the computer to sleep is OK.

I still suspect this may be an Apple glitch in the Local Network access settings for macOS15. It’s not a huge deal as I can perform the ON/OFF toggle thing above whenever the Companion app has this issue, but it’s a bit annoying.

Just FYI. This Mac is only for Zwifting, so I don’t have any other apps installed on it that can interfere. As a last resort I even wiped the drive and did a fresh installation of Sequoia with the same result as above after installing Zwift.

2 Likes

I’m using an Apple TV with updated software and iOS 18 on my iPhone. The Companion app continues to be very glitchy. It works best - and this is weird right?! - when riding with pacer bots on Watopia. I do see so few people running the companion app and wonder if many suffer in silence?

D.

Hi all,
Same here: no Zwift in Local Network on my MBP. Deinstall and reinstall solved the problem, after first start of Zwift the pop-up asks for permission for local devices. Afterwards all good: the ZC shows map und Zwift is visible in Local Network.
Ride On guys!

So where can I find instructions for how to remove and reinstall Zwift on my Mac/Sequoia?

Same problem here. Zwift Companion issues (no route map) began after MacOS 15 update.
Both macbook and iphone are connected to the same network.

Iphone stil got iOS 17.x, but upgrade to iOS 18 did not help.
Reinstalling Companion app and Zwift app did not help.
Turning off the firewall on macbook did not help.
Adding Zwift to Local network permissions did not help.

This is probably not a very useful comment now, but for the future, since you only run Zwift on that machine, I suggest that you should not install new major OS upgrades from Apple right after the public release unless you are happy to beta test their releases and any apps you run on it, and can tolerate it being totally broken. If it’s a major inconvenience to end up with it not working, let some other people experience that before you. I’m interested in Sequoia but I won’t install it right away, probably not for a couple months. I don’t trust Apple or app developers to magically get it right the first time. (I do appreciate the effort you are putting into it though.)

1 Like

I completely agree with your point. In fact, it might be wise for most users to consider downgrading to macOS Sonoma until this issue is resolved.

As someone who works in Apple software development, I understand the risks involved and enjoy the challenge of troubleshooting these situations. I’m even contemplating building my own client/server app for macOS/iOS to see if I can replicate the issue. If it turns out to be an Apple-related bug, I could submit a bug report to Apple to help speed up the process of solving it.

That being said, as I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve found a workaround that isn’t too disruptive. I’m running macOS 15 with iOS 18, and as long as I avoid rebooting, everything works smoothly. If I do need to reboot, simply toggling the Local Network Access switch for Zwift OFF/ON once fixes the issue for me.

1 Like

OK, quick update…
On MBP, second reinstalling of Zwift app and reboot and fresh install did help.
After new install app asks for permissions for “Local network” and if granted, Companion app starts loading map.

Update: It’s an Apple Software Bug:

On Monday, Apple released its latest computer operating system update called macOS 15, or Sequoia. And, somehow, the software update has broken the functionality of several security tools made by CrowdStrike, SentinelOne, Microsoft, and others, according to posts on social media, as well as messages posted in a Mac-focused Slack channel.

At this point, it’s unclear exactly what is the issue, but it appears to affect several products made by companies that provide software for macOS users and enterprises, which has caused frustration among people who work on and with macOS-focused security tools.

This is a Mac Sequoia issue. I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 18. I also tried updating to iOS 18.1 beta and the problem persists. I have a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra running the latest android build and the problem still exists so it is not related to iOS or Android it is specific to the new Sequoia update on the Mac. I am going to try reinstalling Zwift to see if that resolves the issue.

I had the same problem. Deleted Zwift on my Mac and reinstalled, got the pop up asking to connect to the local network. Working as normal now, although haven’t restarted my Mac yet to see if the problem returns

It would be interesting to know (for those willing to take the risk) if a reboot makes the issue reappear for them as well. At least that’s what happens in my case. However the workaround is simple; I just need to go to Settings->Privacy&Security->Local Network and toggle the Zwift switch off and then on, and everything is OK again.

Techy techy stuff:
In the hope to narrow down if it’s a pure Apple issue I cannibalized a few of my apps to mimic the client/server over Wifi setup similar to what Zwift uses in its Zwift->Companion communication. “Unfortunately” my iOS and macOS apps do not show the same behaviour. My Mac app asks for permission to access the network which then allows my iOS app to connect. And a reboot doesn’t cause a problem.

Reinstalling zwift fixes the issue as others mentioned above.

Exactly what happened to me. What to do please?