Companion App connection problems? [iOS 18] [macOS 15]

I just updated my iPhone to iOS 18. Companion app won’t connect to Zwift.

Looking under iPhone Settings > Privacy & Security > Local Network I see that Companion app is not listed. I understand this is a known issue perhaps, where the app needs to “Request” permission to connect to other devices on the local network and then it will show up here. I have tried uninstalling the app, restarting the phone, reinstalling the app. No luck. I even tried resetting the phone network settings, and no luck. Thinking it could be device specific (my iPhone) I tried installing the companion app on my iPad, which is running iOS 18 but never has had the Companion app installed previously. Same issue, the Companion app does not request permission to connect to the local network.

Did Zwift or anyone figure out a solution to this problem yet?

I’m having the same exact issue. I’m running Zwift on a Mac Mini updated to Sequoia. Both are connected to the same WiFi and were working prior to the update.

I updated my M2 Mac mini to macOS 15 (Sequoia), and my iPhone to iOS 18 today.
After the update, the Companion app fails to switch to “map mode” after selecting a route.

The Zwift app on the Mac works just fine. It connects to my trainer/HRM/Cadence sensor and I can ride without any issues. The Companion app starts and comes up with the standard list of my previous activities.

However, after selecting a route on my Mac the Companion app should switch to “map mode” so that I can use it as a remote control during my ride. But it doesn’t do that. My iPhone is on the same WiFi network as the computer.

I’m having the exact same issue. It was working prior to me updating my Mac to macOS 15 and iPhone to iOS 18.

I’m also having the same issue. iOS 18 and Sequoia on MacBook Air.

I haven’t upgraded yet but have my eye on this info…

Blocking incoming connections would certainly result in failure to connect Companion

My firewall on my Mac running Sequoia is turned off.

Just to test, I turned it on. Zwift wasn’t listed, so I added it. Was able to set it as “allow incoming connections”. No change on the iPhone companion app. I suspect it’s a iOS issue not macOS.

This one worked for me. I turned the firewall off and the companion now connects.

Hey everyone, Shuji at Zwift HQ here.

The common thread here is that you all upgraded your iPhones to iOS18 recently. Apple OS updates (the major version updates anyway) reset app permissions to the default (more restrictive) settings, and you may need to re-allow the Companion app to use the WiFi and Bluetooth radios.

Please see this Apple support page and allow Zwift Companion to use Location Services. WiFi and Bluetooth perrmissions are bundled under Location Services, and those are what matter to Companion users. Zwift does not use GPS services in case you’re wondering.

You should notice that permissions are denied after the update to iOS18 - please let us know that allowing permissions solves this issue?

1 Like

I went to Location Services, and there is no Companion app listed to toggle on or off.

BTW, in the Companion settings, when I went to MORE > Settings > Device Connection and toggle the BLE switch on and off, the iPhone prompted me to allow Bluetooth connections and now under iOS Settings > Privacy & Security > Bluetooth the Companion shows up with a toggle to turn on and off. But nothing I have done has been able to trigger the iOS prompt to allow the Companion app to connect to local network devices and thus Companion does not show up on the iOS Settings > Privacy & Security > Local Network

In my case at least it seems to be a Mac issue, because turning off the firewall on the Mac (without doing anything ont he phone side) solves the problem. There is a residual problem, which is that if I have the firewall on, even with zwift and zwfitappsilicon allowing incoming connections, the companion app doesn’t sync.

Hi all, I found the fix at least for me. So, first I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Zwift Companion app, but that didn’t help. Then I followed Zwift’s instructions (which the forum won’t let me link to lol) to cleanly uninstall and reinstall the Zwift app on my MacBook (I kept ~/Documents/Zwift intact) and on first launch the macOS app asked to connect to local devices on my network. Sure enough as we all suspected, that was the permission that had been reset. Just, on the macOS side not the iOS side. My Companion app is now connecting and showing the map/dashboard.

Unfortunately, this also broke syncing activities into the iPhone Health app. And the two that were missed while this was broken don’t seem to be retroactively syncing.

1 Like

@Andy_Jordan_BFAST

Thanks for your update. Did you by chance update to macOS 15?

1 Like

This appears to be the answer for me also. I tested it on my MacBook Pro running MacOS 15. Before full update (including launcher), the companion app would not work and did not appear in the Local Network permissions under privacy and security. After the update, it now shows and connection to the companion app on iPhone 15 pro with iOS 18 is restored. Thanks!

Yes, sorry that wasn’t clear. This all broke after the iOS 18 and macOS 15 update, which I took on the same day.

Thanks for confirming. macOS updates can reset default app permissions too, which on the Mac side includes Local Network permissions.

1 Like

Thanks all for your help. Doing the clean re-install of the Zwift app on my Mac OS 15 solved the problem!

1 Like

Solutions?! - Nothing helped…
I am on the new MacOS & iOS18

Didn‘t get a connection between zwift an companion app…

Premissions don‘t work for me here…