Companion App Bluetooth pairing issues? [Android] [March 2022]

The latest companion app update is also affecting me. I’m using an iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 15.3.1.

Very low success rate of connecting my devices to Zwift Apple TV via the Zwift companion app. No issues if I connect my bluetooth devices directly to Zwift Apple TV app (but I’m limited to just two devices).

OPPO Reno 2Z
Android Version 11
Zwift Companion App 3.33.0

Same issue here. Can’t connect my devices (heart rate monitor and Suito-T) using BLE to the Zwift App on my W10 computer throuht Zwift Companion. Zwift App and ZC are on the same network (map is correctly display) but devices are not detected. Even after force close, clean cache and uninstall ZC.

Hope you find a fix!

UPDATE

Companion app v 3.33.1 patches this bug, and has been released to the Play Store, and is propagating worldwide. Please update when this becomes available to you.

If you’re seeing a big delay - you can also purge the cache on your Play Store app. Here’s how. That should make the latest version immediately available for download.

Would you report back and let us know this solves it? Thanks for your patience.

4 Likes

It works again!
Thanks to the developer team for this patch.

2 Likes

Still experiencing connection issues with v 3.33.1

Device Samsung Galaxy A10e
Andorid Version 11
Companion 3.33.1

Cannot connect to BLE devices with companion app.
Wahoo Kicker
Stages Power Meter

Hi,

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I updated the (broken) config:
Phone => Moto G8 Power XT2041-3
Android => 11
Build => RPES31.Q4U-47-35-12 (RPES-31.Q4U-47-35-11 worked).
Companion => 3.33.1 (1340)

and while it detected all my BLE devices on startup, the HR reported by the Polar H10 looked wrong (too low). I checked using a wrist HR monitor and that confirmed my suspicion. It wouldn’t report the RPM from my pedaling rate sensor either. I unpaired everything and… it failed to detect any device afterwards. So, no cookie (yet).

I switched to the other configuration I have (3.33.1 on Android 5.1) and that worked flawlessly.

The devices are: A Suito-T trainer, a Polar H10 HR monitor chest band, and a CooSpo cadense sensor, if that helps. All are BLE and ANT+.

@William_Harrison1 @Loic_FAVRELIERE @Lee_Mercer @Drew_Woods_BRT @Milan_Mikulic could you please test too?

Hello. I tried to connect via ZC and it connected. Tonight I will take the ride and I will let you know if everything is fine during the ride. Thank you very much for the update.

Everything is as it should be during the ride. Thank you

1 Like

@F_C_BentRider
Thanks for the report. Interesting that it connects to all the BLE sensor at first, then after unpairing nothing is detected. Did I understand what’s happening correctly?

What happens if you go into Android settings > Apps > Companion > Storage > Clear cache? While you’re there - try Clear storage too.

You sound technically savvy. Wondering if you’re in the habit of keeping the firmware on your HRM updated? Regarding the inaccurate heart rate data issue - I’m wondering if Polar has a firmware for the H10 that plays nicer with Android 11 / 12?

Update.

Had trouble getting everything to pair before ride today. Took awhile. Finally got it.

Rode group A ToW at 9:04am today. Signal lost for a minute after maybe 10 mins into the stage. I was stopped on the road not moving. Got signal back and near the end of the stage lost it again for 5-10 seconds. I updated to 3.33.1 last night.

it connects to all the BLE sensor at first, then after unpairing nothing is detected. Did I understand what’s happening correctly?

That’s what happened yes.

Android settings > Apps > Companion > Storage > Clear cache? While you’re there - try Clear storage too.

I’ve done it, and all sensors came back. It’s a bit late to do a ride, I will report tomorrow.

Wondering if you’re in the habit of keeping the firmware on your HRM updated? Regarding the inaccurate heart rate data issue - I’m wondering if Polar has a firmware for the H10 that plays nicer with Android 11 / 12?

It’s running the latest (3.1.1) firmware that was released at the end of 2020. That was necessary to get it work with Zwift. As a matter of fact, the HR10 can run in single or dual BLE channel modes but only the dual-channel mode is compatible with Zwift. In the single-channel mode, the Polar apps work fine but Zwift reports no data (maybe it picks the inactive channel?).

Same issue here…after the update my power is up and down and cero…

Hi @shooj

After resetting the Companion (cache + storage), everything worked for a 30 minute ride without disconnections. The HR numbers were aligned to what my wrist band was reporting.
I haven’t tried unpairing and pairing again though. I’ll do that early next week and report if you like.

Thanks for the help, it’s really appreciated!
François

2 Likes

@F_C_BentRider
Glad to hear that clearing the cache for the Companion app solved your issue. Thanks for looping back to confirm.

1 Like

The issues all seem fixed here (except the spinny map but I’ll take it :wink: )

Cheers for the quick solution

First attempts at a ride since updating Zwift to 1.23.0 and the Companion app to 3.33.1. Set-up was Assioma power meter pedals = power & cadence source, Tacx Neo 2T = controllable, Wahoo TICKR FIT = HRM. All devices running latest firmware. All paired to Zwift on Apple TV via the Zwift Companion on my Moto G8 Power Lite (Companion app and Bluetooth caches cleared). The phone is a dedicated device for Zwift only and no other apps were running. The wi-fi speed and signal were both good.

First attempt was a Pace Partner ride with C.Cadence. All devices paired easily and quickly. When the “Ride” button was selected, I was promptly and unceremoniously kicked out of Zwift.

OK, take a deep breath and try again. Second attempt after hitting the “ride” button I entered Watopia and joined the Pace Partner group. Hooray! Then 4 seconds later, Boo! total Bluetooth failure. The Companion app Bluetooth logo tells me there are no connections, use the paired devices screen. The paired devices screen tells me that all devices are connected (little green ticks) but each one is displaying “no signal”. OK, shut down and restart everything; Zwift, phone, Apple TV. Clear Companion app and Bluetooth caches again.

Third attempt and I’m back on board the Pace Partner ride (strangely this time it only gave me 3 seconds to join, the first aborted attempt gave me 45 seconds, but failed after 4). Yay, I’m cruising around Watopia, happy as Larry. I’ll just give it 2 hours; that should be sufficient to make sure everything is stable.Almost riding along on Cloud Nine when, oh oh, not again FFS, Bluetooth connectivity is lost, my avatar grinds to a halt and the Pace Partner group disappears into the distance.

Well, at this point I’m apoplectic but, you know what? This is sort of what I expected from my latest Zwift experience. Totally FUBARd.

If it’s of any help.

Samsung Galaxy S20+
Android Version 12
Zwift Companion 3.33.1 (most recent one?)

My Zwift for PC is continously, and randomly crashing btw.

OK, one final post oh here regarding this ongoing issue.

Last night I raced the TFC Mad Monday event and because of problems with the ZC Bluetooth bridge (Android) I decided to revert to my old device pairing protocol namely; Tacx Neo 2T for power/cadence and controllable and Wahoo Tickr Fit for HR all paired directly to Apple TV via Bluetooth.

Guess what? It came as no surprise to me that it took a matter of seconds to have a stable and functioning system that allowed me to join an event, complete it and save it without one hiccup. That should happen every time I ride!

To add another data point. I used a similar set-up (i.e. direct Bluetooth pairing to ATV, no ZC bridge) with similar success a week ago, namely; Assioma Duo pedals for power/cadence and Tacx Neo 2T as controllable.

So, it doesn’t really matter which device(s) I pair so long as I don’t use the ZC Bluetooth bridge for Android which is definitely (currently) not fit for purpose. I sincerely hope that Zwift puts some effort into resolving this because (in my humble opinion) it has been an issue ever since I started (or tried to) use it, but it has certainly got much worse since the Zwift 1.23.0 and ZC 3.33.1 updates, and that’s a fact.

same here with iPhone

iPhone 13 pro
OS 15.4
Companion 3.33.0 (2013)

Companion 3.31.1 is available for update.