Changes to Zwift Subscription Renewals [May 2024]

Inflationary pressure, like the cost of compute power and storage being about half the cost of 7 years ago! Gotcha!

Bad optics, I can get the full MSFT office apps for 5 family members for a little over $100 a year. Since you hardly improve the application, your costs should be crashing, just keep the servers running.

9 Likes

It just smells of the same old problem with Zwift. Bad future planning. Not only did they fail to get their XP to levels model correct, they couldnā€™t even get their subscription model right. 6 years without an increase is not good business sense. Theyā€™ve just infuriated all of their users in one fell swoop by using them all as ā€˜loss leadersā€™ and then reclaiming the missing revenue from them.

Make no mistake we wonā€™t get anything extra for this extra money. Itā€™s just plugging a 6 year old hole.

8 Likes

Respectfully, this is a terrible update. It is obvious that Zwift is trying to push users into an annual subscription because many users pause their subscriptions during the summer. The yearly subscription doesnā€™t provide extensive savings.

In Canada the price is going up to $25 a month. I understand that there are operating costs, but this is still comparatively more expensive then most other platforms. This includes platforms with larger overhead, like streaming platforms.

All of this would be easier to swallow if development around Zwift wasnā€™t so painfully slow, buggy, and tone deaf to user feedback. QA testing needs to improve. I am amazed at the glaringly obvious bugs which make it into GA releases.

There are known bugs that users, including myself, have been asking to have fixed. New route and world development is also slow and often unexciting. When people hear new routes and roads, they want new content, not the same route they have done a 100 times before in reverse. It is misleading to market these routes as new content.

Apparently this is being done to provide me a better experience, but as a Canadian I canā€™t even buy products from the Zwift store.

There is a lot I like about Zwift, and it has personally had a positive impact on my life, but there is still ample room for improvement. As athletes we are always looking for ways to improve our selves and our performance; I expect the same from Zwift as a company.

Zwift needs to take the long view. Increasing subscription pricing because revenue targets are not being met will only upset users. Instead of doing this, improve Zwift, and retain your user base. This gives users more reason to ride on Zwift in the summer, and makes the platform more attractive to new users.

Zwift is lucky that there is not any strong direct competition in the current market. Zwift in its current state is difficult for me to recommend to others, even though I use it almost every day.

17 Likes

Me neither. Just cancelled it.

I would have bought the annual membership at the old price as an alternative, but thatā€™s already taken effect at the increased price too.

Itā€™s the scale of the increase thatā€™s the issue. Totally unjustified.

8 Likes

But eating out or drinking coffee is a personal choice. How i spend my money is my choice. You could argue go without a coffee and give to zwift.

The issue is not necessarily the cost but if someone perceives it as value for money.
For me zwift is no longer delivering a product representative of the cost.

16 Likes

Problem is the entire software development stack was coded poorly and they canā€™t unwind it or make it like any real application.

1. Jerseys should be customizable and uploaded easily,
  2. Group rides and races should be easier to setup
  3. Game modes (knock out races, custom draft logic)
  4. Trainer configuration (I always want 0% to feel like 2%) etcā€¦
8 Likes

2 years ago there would have been some noise but most would have continued paying. Now, especially if you primarily use the platform for workouts or racing, there are better alternatives either free, free for now, or cheaper.

They will make more than they lose from this change, but the question is around the value those users that leave will provide competing platforms.

10 Likes

Well, hopefully Watopia wonā€™t be as busy now with everyone leaving! :laughing:

3 Likes

Like always, Iā€™ll be cancelling my subscription for the summer. But this time. I wonā€™t be coming back.

Itā€™s just not worth it anymore, especially considering how Zwift does absolutely nothing to improve racing on the platform. I really donā€™t care about any of the improvement youā€™ve made over the years, that youā€™re using as a justification for the price increase.

8 Likes

I think the PE investors want Zwift to stand on its own two feet. I agree, a smaller annual increase is probably easier to swallow but Iā€™ve had 6 years of no increase so financially Iā€™m better off. I have an annual membership but at the new price Iā€™ll be monthly and putting on hold during spring and summer. But even if I cancel for 4 months, Zwift will still increase their revenue from me so probably a smart play from Zwift.

2 Likes

I do believe Zwift no longer want peopleā€™s custom, no company will survive trying to impose a 38% increase in service charges.

I, for one, am cancelling my subscription as of today and will move to another platform.

I am not Zwifts money making machine!!!

10 Likes

Non of the competitors have same amount of real racers to complete with. That means a lot to me. Iā€™ll be happy to buy one less beer a month for the fun, excitement, and training that doesnā€™t feel like training I get from Zwift. If they just follow the general prize increse from now, Iā€™m fine with the price level.

I suspect this increase is something they have to do to keep floating, but I donā€™t know.

That said, I will follow the alternatives more closely from now on.

6 Likes

Iā€™m actually surprised that wasnā€™t an option, given that weā€™re hitting Northern Hemisphere summer.

4 Likes

Not sure where else to put this but need zwift to hear it - I am a student, I love zwifting, it keeps me on the bike in the long wet and cold winters and provides a fun outlet for my competitive streak. The subscription was already the most expensive subscription I had and I cannot afford to keep my subscription with the new price increases. PLEASE offer a student discount to keep us on your platform. For now I will be pausing my membership when the new pricing takes over and switching to training peaks.

12 Likes

Zwift: thank you for increasing your prices. It makes sure that I cancel my Zwift membership every summer so I go ride outside instead.

ā€œNew featuresā€ Iā€™ve funded over years of membership donā€™t justify the price. These features are just part of running a business. A price increase either A) pays for FUTURE enhancements or B) pays execs/owners. I have a feeling this is B.

7 Likes

Change of plan. 8-week pause in place, and Iā€™m intending to properly cancel well before the end of that though.

Looks like Iā€™ve got 4 days left on Zwift.

4 Likes

Hopefully this increase will pay for performance verification in races now.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be leaving for Indievelo for at least the 3 summer months. Will be saving all of the annual increase that way. If I like it over there then I wonā€™t be returning.
Itā€™s a shame, but business is business I suppose. At least there are alternatives now and we can all make our own choices.

4 Likes

This price increase is just outrageous and greedyā€¦
I hope, customers will vote with their wallets.
Iā€™ll be pausing my subscription until September, and will very probably STOP using Zwift alltogether after that.
Iā€™m not a big fan of being taken for a pigeon.
At 19,99ā‚¬ / month, I will rather buy a gym subscription with way more value than Zwift.

WTG Zwift for a very stupid decision, imho \o/

7 Likes

@Neil_UK
My last payment was Ā£129.99 for annual in Dec 2023, just had an email saying its going up to Ā£179.99
38.5%

1 Like