Can going up Alpe du Zwift in Workout Mode count as a spin

I am enjoying climbing AdZ, but wondering if I was to go up that route while I’m in a programmed workout, if it will count towards the badge, a spin at the wheel, or calculated meters towards the Z1 (Tron Bike)?

I figured it doesn’t in any of those cases because I’m not actually riding against the force of the true grade of the climb. I realize that it also could because even if I selected a 100w workout, I would have to commit to the time it would take to ascend the mountain at the speeds afforded 100w.

Thoughts or insight?

Thank you

It should still count for all those things.

3 Likes

I am interested in this too.

a 1hr45min training session (Yellow Unicorn) got me to the top with 10mins still to go yesterday and I skipped them as I was worried I’d not get to spin the wheel.

It would be heart breaking to climb all the way and not get a spin.

Would be grateful if someone could confirm for sure.

1 Like

Hi @Derek_Soutar

I am pretty sure you get the prize wheel so I checked Zwiftinsider (see #6) and Eric confirmed that you do get the prize wheel.

1 Like

Great, thanks @Gerrie_Delport

1 Like

My recent attempts have not been credited with a prize spin. Be warned!

Just be ready for some gloves. :gloves: but yes you get the spin, xp, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming your result in getting a spin. But, be warned of what?

@Gerrie_Delport thank you for the confirmation and the link to review. I did a free ride today and just stayed near 200w for each of the 21 (22) segments. Since it is my third time up now, it is also showing my previous PB’s which is a nice motivation.

Side note: For those that just put their head down and ride. I learned that AdZ offers these time bonuses while ascending. They seem to be around the same spot. You will see a countdown timer show up on the map section. If you reach that spot on the map before the timer runs out, you get a power up. Forgive my mixing up comments, but figured you guys/gals wouldn’t mind since it still had to do with ascending Alpe du Zwift. :slight_smile: :wink:

Thanks everyone and have fun out there. Off I go to get my Z1. :smile: :smiley:

1 Like

Be warned it’s a long ride and lots of effort for a very high chance of no spin at all.

I dont think that is true for the majority.

3 Likes

I have always got a spin of the wheel after 25 times up the Alp. I always go up doing a workout to maximize the XP points.

1 Like

I just did a workout up to the top and got the spin. Got the extra XP because it spun a helmet again. Gave me 900XP because of that. Which lines up to what should happen when landing on an item you already have in your garage. Going to try it again as a recovery ride and hope for good fortune.

One thing for sure, the workout mode was much harder than riding it naturally. Because at least on ride mode, if you need to ease up a bit, you can. Na ah in workout mode, you are on whether you like it or not. Likely why it still gives you credit up and XP. Have fun out there and I’m glad a few others were wondering and now know the answer.

1 Like

Thanks for reply. It’s clearly an intermittent issue but I have had it twice in a row.

I rode ‘tour of fire and ice’ in workout mode last night.
The workout finished half way up the Alpe, so I just decided to carry on and do the full ride to the top.
I enjoyed the ascent and getting to the top, but no ‘wheel spin’ or ‘badge’.

So if your workout ends, before reaching the top, there will be no wheel spin?

As luck would have it, over the last week I’ve done both of these:

• finished workout before top of AdZ, then rode over the top afterwards.
  • completed entire AdZ during workout

In both cases there was a wheel spin.
It will also complete route badges.

2 Likes

Did most of the Zwift Academy workouts on Road to Sky to accumulate more vertical feet towards my Tron bike. Got the spin every time and got the X5 badge the fifth time up the hill. Still haven’t gotten the stupid wheels though.

You do go VERY slow during the recovery segments of the workout. And pretty fast during the “on” portions. It’s gotta be weird for others on the hill with you when they pass you and then you pass them back if they’ve never done a workout and can’t figger out why you can’t maintain pace…

1 Like

I think the wheel spin was a bit glitchy at the time! I’ve since done the alpe a few times and got a spin of the wheel. Also bagged the millensteins. Think it took me around 8or 9 attempts. :+1:t3: Ride on!

2 Likes