Blank / black photos from Zwift companion app

I’ll try this next time!

1 Like

No.

No, It’s 2 years that I use the same pc and same TV…

1 Like

This is a hard one. :thinking:

More things to try,

Update graphics drivers.

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:
Issue solved with Windowed mode.
Have a nice day!

1 Like

That is good to hear.

I also use windowed mode. If you want to have it look like full screen you can use a app like borderlessgaming to make it look like full screen.

I have this issue. Here’s the Pictures\ZWift folder on Win10:

You can see that the _clean photos are there, but the other photos are blank. Furthermore, there are 3 files (one _clean and 2 others) for each photo I took.

It was working before but seems to have stopped - the first black image is 20 March. The only thing I can think of that might have changed is that I switched from running the companion app on my Moto Z to a Pixel 4.

Setup:
Win 10 laptop, screen mirrored to a TV
Companion app running on Pixel 4 (formerly Moto Z)

4 Likes

Newbie here, at first I had no problems. Now all of my photos are blacked out.

Setup:
Windows 10
HDMI connected to TV
Companion running on Iphone 7
I don’t always use Companion while riding, but haven’t noticed if this contributes to the problem of not.

Any word from Zwift after 4 + years of this problem?

Hi @Robert_H

Try running in windowed mode and see if that help.

I’ve been using Zwift for two weeks and after each ride, no photos appear. This is the case for both my phone (companion app on iPhone Xs) or my computer windows 10. At the end of the ride, I never see photos, even when it is clear that a photo was taken (I get a capture effect when taking in my computer but not from my phone and it will say displaying 3 of 5 photos”).

However, on each of the ramp tests a photo does upload to my Strava (a landscape image - no biker). Any thoughts? I don’t have a photos folder in the Zwift folder.

Can you take an image of that screen? (F10 on the Windows PC… - Yes, I am aware taking images is the issue…)

or simply use your cellphone to take the image.

Has anything further happened on this? Last week no photos would upload. Today photos did upload but they were all blacked out. I always see others with photos but wonder why I can’t. I run ghe game off my galaxy S10 and use a galaxy S8 as my companion app.

Hi, not sure relate with this topic. I have a problem on my PC. I pressing F10 on keyboard, it play shutter sound but no photo taking in folder. Also press capture in iOS companion app, no action at all (both sound/screen flash). Even I reinstall Zwift problem still occur. However, when I use laptop for Zwift, everything worked fine.

Hmmm… unless I am missing something, “pressing F10 on keyboard […] no photo taking” and “when I use laptop for Zwift, everything worked fine” are mutually contradicting.

Or am I missing something here?

(Zwift, the sound of silence…)

Two different devices, PC and laptop?

Anyway this was resolved by someone I know by reinstalling Windows. Guessing something is blocking Zwift from creating files in the Documents folder.

Traditionally, this was attributed to OneDrive. I wonder…

1 Like

Yeah I checked that with the chap in question (and any other cloud backup service) but he said had none installed. Wondering if at some point, AV software asked if Zwift was allowed certain permissions and he said no by mistake.

Yes, I also have this where the *_clean.jpg files are fine, but the ones with overlays are black.

If I Alt-Tab to the Windows Desktop, and back to Zwift, it starts working again.

It’s not the companion app that’s at fault. It’s Windows. And it’s not a space issue either.

I have the same issue, running Zwift on my Galaxy S9 and all I get is black screenshots, I tried un-installing ZC (also installed for when at home on PC) to see if that made a difference but no. There is plenty of space and both have all the required permissions. Any ideas?

1 Like

Samsung galaxy s9 plus. During the new user trial, twice there were non-blank screen during photo upload, then it is blank/black.
Somehow I expected that they are unable to manage it. However 4 years for this bug… Well. What can I say.

Maybe they will need some time (10-15 years) to fix the black screenshot issue.
Why?
20 (twenty) days ago I requested an exceptional, very challenging and difficult change where excellent teamwork and perfect scheduling would be required.
I requested to fix a typo in my day of my birth as accidentally the 01 was setup instead of 31. So technically a 0 should be changed to 3. They requested a couple of days the weeks.

They have been trying to solve this extremely difficult problem for 20 (twenty) days now.

Well.
Good luck for the solution.

By the way. Why the android application would need access to camera?