Assistance with Wahoo Kickr

picture aside my pairing screen i got to the top roght and pair through zwift companion. i then select my power kickr cadence kickr and controller kickr. you were correct that it doesnt let me select any other options. it only lets me perform a spin down. i had to unpair everything to get it to do a spindown in wahoo fitness app. it didnt seem to make a difference. i can coast downhill like that one user stated but i do have to pedal every once in awhile otherwise i will pull over. flats just seem very unrealistic for me. i cant figure out why the speed is so slow and i cant rly put it more watts due to such a high gear and high flywheel rpm.

Do you only have a 9 speed cassette?

• Shimano Altus 9-speed drivetrain

Sounds like you are running out of gears.

1 Like

you should be able to post pictures now.

Tiagra 10 speed. actually counting my rear sprockets I have 11 gears in the rear however. I was biking 80 miles one day up a 20% incline woth a 35mph headwind. folded my front sprocket. i just asked the bike shop to replace my entire drivechain. Got a Sora crankset and I forget what we did to the rear. Im not good at working on stuff. I never fixed me derailer in the front or rear and I can’t shift into my final gear. I can only shift into the 10th rear sprocket.

lol im dumb. im using the stock kickr sprocket. sry folks lack of sleep. i work two full times jobs on top of my intense exercising.

cool fact for anyone who folds a front sprocket at 2am in the morning and needs to complete their ride. since no hardware stores or bicycle shops are open you can buy shoelace from a nearby gas station and lace your remaining sprocket on the bicycle to complete your ride.

What makes you think the flywheel speed is too high?

unnatural cadence. 100+rpm for no gain and only 100 watts slow mph in a high gear. doing a spindown from 25 mph in the calibration takes 25 seconds. imagine how long a spindown from 35+mph takes. dont make sense that the speed isnt being tracked and you cant input more watts.

ive kinda been wondering how much my in game bicycle is effecting my ride. i dont have any quality stat bicycles unlocked. hopefully that resolves the issue because it this point I don’t think it could be anything else. once i get 675k ill get the lightweight specialized bike. i already got decent tires. maybe thatll make some difference.

A new in-game bike will make no difference to not being able to put out more than 100w without spinning out. It sounds like you’re getting no resistance from the Kickr for some reason. Don’t worry about the spindown stuff or flywheel speed for now, I suspect that is probably not relevant. Can you do the following?:

• Turn off any apps/devices that the Kickr may have been paired to before (e.g. the Wahoo app), except for the device you are running Zwift on
  • Pair the Kickr directly in the Zwift game app, not in the companion app
  • Make sure it is paired as Power, Controllable and Cadence as per the video that Gerrie posted before

The pairing screen should look something like this when you are done

If it does then you should be ready to go. If the resistance is working correctly then 15mph for 100w on the flat is probably about right. 200w will probably get you to around 20-22mph on the flat for reference

2 Likes

I do and have done all that through both directly and through the companion. I’ve got the latest update. I have calibrated directly through the game as well as trying it just through the wahoo fitness app. If I were to pedal 200w, which I can, the cadence would be my limit and the flywheel would instantly reach a balancing point that my watts would instantly drop to 0-100 slowing my rider back down to 15mphish.

are you using the stock 11 sprocket rear gear? Are you in the 11th gear when achieving 200w steady at 20mph?

since my new biking strategy in the game up grade doesnt depend on a super low gear I am going to adjust my derailleur to be able to reach the 10 taller sprockets.

200w on the flat for me at least wouldn’t need to go as low as the 11 sprocket, and that’s with a 50 tooth chainring. How many teeth are on your biggest front chainring? If it’s much smaller then that might limit your speed.

pretty sure mine is a 50 as well (sora R3000). What kind of cadence would you have?

Probably about 80 or so. If you start a workout in Erg mode does it work correctly?

That is, Zwift should set the power level and the Kickr should adjust the resistance automatically so that whatever cadence you pedal at the power stays the same.

I haven’t tried ERG mode. I am not particularly interested in the workout programs. I find that crazy that you can have such a low cadence and be travelling 20mph. When I perform a spindown 85 rpm can get me to 25mph, but in the game I can only reach like 15mph. If I do make it over the watts almost instantly drop regardless of me pedaling the same rate. Did you do something to select your gearing in the game? Or maybe wahoo fitness app?

if you follow me i think you can see my run. I did a full 1:30:00 mins up 800 ft elevation. You can see for the most part im doing 80-95 cadence and only 100 watts. This was done in a relatively high gear.

you can also see that anytime I get a 3-4% grade I have enough resistance to shell out 200-500 watts. And that’s taking periodic pedaling. If I try to steady pedal it the same happens. My resistance becomes next to nothing and my watts drop slowing me. So I pedal 3 quick high watts then coast and let my flywheel come to a halt. Then I take 3 more quick predals and repeat.