AppleTV ERG bug in update? [1.17.0]

I’m having the same problem as others, using all current firmware on ATV and Kickr Snap. If I connect directly to ATV or run Zwift from my iPhone, ERG workouts are fine. If I use the companion app, the wattage jumps around.

In the past week, it seemed like a similar problem arose in sim mode — it was fine over last weekend, but I couldn’t keep up with the “D” bot earlier this week — but I haven’t tried sim mode again since then.

Hi @shooj, thanks for the reply. In response to your questions:

1. Kickr 2nd gen
  2. Companion app to pair BT
  3. & 4. Trainer doesn’t seem to be adjusting resistance in either ERG or SIM modes.

ATV4K is updated (tvOS 14.7) along with Zwift (v. 1.17.0) and companion app (v. 3.28.0 [1136]). Did spin downs on Zwift and Wahoo app.

Also, no map showing on companion app. Other screens are fine.

Thanks for any help!

I experienced the controller problem as soon as I upgraded to the latest version of the Zwift Companion v1.255.0 a few days ago. For me the controller issue (e.g. no ERG on a workout) only occurs through the ZC app. If I connect directing to the Apple TV then ERG works fine (even if I re-pair mid game).

I am using a Kikr V5 and all has been fine for months and months until this recent update of the ZC app.

I reported it to the support team and they told me this morning that it is a known bug and they are working on it. They could not provide a time frame for the fix.

Hi Shuji,

Normally I use a macbook pro for Zwift, without any ERG issues (using ANT+ USB from Wahoo). Yesterday I used Zwift op Apple TV for the first time and during the workout ERG could not hold the wattage on the right level. It went all over the place. Turning ERG on and off (directly on zwift app apple TV or via Companion app did not help).
-Apple TV 4K 2021 32GB (updated, last firmware)
-Zwift app (most recent version)

• Wahoo Kickr V5 2021
  • Bluetooth connection directly with apple TV (Power/controller/cadence via Kickr V5, heartrate via Tickr)

Same today with Kickr snap.

Does anyone know when we will get an answer on this fix it’s been days with no response ?

1 Like

Any news when zwift is going to fix erg/watts throttle issue between smart trainers (mine is kenetic) and ATV 4K??? I have written multiple messages about diagnostics /trouble shooting and it is definitely the program.
I have checked all software updates for all devices, done all operating system updates, factor restored atv, deleted apps and re downloaded

Using latest iPhone, iwatch, atv 4K watts in workout ar throttled at 75watts
In open ride resistance isn’t changing and still getting only 75 watts

All my devices are properly working outside of zwift including smart trainer. As a current work around on my iPad which I used the last time this happened on an update and u guys fixed with a patch 3-5 days later …
please fix -it is miserable & my eyes are suffering from small screen!

1 Like

Here is a copy and paste of the email I received about 24 hours ago. I hope it helps:

You are correct this is an issue for other Zwifters. We’ve identified the issue with the most recent release of Zwift Companion for iOS. I’ve checked with our Dev team and have confirmed they’re working on a fix for this known issue where a controllable isn’t found.

While there isn’t an official workaround for this issue as of yet, the fix will come from our end. All you should need to do is keep your Zwift Companion app up to date. There’s as yet no time frame for when a fix can be expected but again, our Dev team is seeking a solution as quickly as possible.

Thanks for the info @Curtis_Campbell_Forc . Hoping for a fix sooner than later.

No resistance in SIM mode connecting thru Companion app or Apple TV directly since 1.17 update. Also, no progress bars on some routes either!
The only way I can get resistance mode to work is by running zwift on my iPad and screen mirror it to my tv using the Apple TV. Bit clunky but I guess a temporary solution for now.

There’s a new thread for this now. Please see Odd resistance changes in ERG mode [September 2021] [1.17.x]

I have been unable to pair my Stages SB20 as the controllable trainer via the Companion App / Apple Tv since the 1.17 update. I can pair the bike for power & cadence but not for ERGGGGGG… Any patches in the near future?

I have the exact same bike/setup. They told me they are working on it. If you connect the SB20 (using the Stages Bike XXXX connection on all 3 of the power/cadence/controllable) directly to your Apple TV it has been working for me. That leaves one BT connection on ATV for the HR monitor. It’s not as good of a setup, but it has allowed me to keep riding this week anyways. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks Curtis. I’ll give that a shot if not, atleast I’m getting IRL power training.

The thread for this problem is at Bluetooth pairing issues using iOS Companion app [September 2021] [v3.28] [SOLVED]

Update September 27

Hey all - we released Zwift Companion v3.28.1 this morning for iOS and Android. It may take a few hours for this release to propagate to servers globally.

One of the fixes addresses ERG mode flakiness for Apple TV users who use the Companion app as a Bluetooth bridge to pair their trainers. Please update to 3.28.1 as soon as possible. Would you loop back to let us know that ERG is behaving / not? Thanks!

3 Likes

ATV, Kickr v5 and issue seems to be resolved with companion app and controllable via the app. Have to re pair to get it to work. So far so good.

I also downloaded the updated companion app. I started a 90 minute workout and all was working well until the 80 minute mark. All connections were suddenly lost. I then reconnected directly to the Apple TV and it worked fine until the end of the workout. After I did the reconnection I noticed a message stating it was reconnecting erg mode.

This is all very frustrating and I feel I can’t rely on using the product now without facing some sort of problem. Until the last companion update I had been using zwift with no problems for 3 years.

I also downloaded the updated companion app. I started a 90 minute workout and all was working well until the 80 minute mark. All connections were suddenly lost. I then reconnected directly to the Apple TV and it worked fine until the end of the workout. After I did the reconnection I noticed a message stating it was reconnecting erg mode.

This is all very frustrating and I feel I can’t rely on using the product now without facing some sort of problem. Until the last companion update I had been using zwift with no problems for 3 years.