ANT+ dropouts

When I first used Zwift I was really impressed, but then I started to get Ant+ dropouts and now it happens regularly - 3 - 12 minutes into each ride all of my devices will drop - speed/cadence/HR and Powerbeam Pro…reported it to Support 4 weeks ago. They asked for my .fit file, which I sent - now nothing. 2 chasers and no response. 

That’s poor customer service…

Are you using a USB hub and a USB extension cable to get your Ant+ dongle as close the device that is transmitting the signal? This will solve most of the Ant+ dropouts.

I’ve been using Traineroad for 2 years on the same set up and never had an issue. I swapped to Zwift, ended up buying a new dongle, USB extension cable is now mounted on the bike to solve it, but I still get issues. I end the ride on Zwift, switch back to TR and it all works fine…all explained to Customer support but since I sent the .fit file as requested, I’ve heard nothing despite chasers…and I’m paying for this … 

Hi Graham,

I’m sorry about the delay in replying. We are doing our best as Level 2 support to answer every ticket that comes out way. This often requires multiple back-and-forths and can take some time. We are not ignoring your request, we are just working as quickly as we can without trying to sacrifice quality or attentiveness.

I’ll go ahead and look at where it is and see if we can shed some light on it.

Thanks for your patience and your understanding.

Courtesy of StagesCycling.com : Routers transmit on the same 2.4GHz frequency as ANT+ (which is the power meter uses to communicate with the head unit), and can sometimes overwhelm the power meter signal. When this happens the head unit will not be able to receive the data and will display zero values, and then will return after the interference has passed. 

There is an effective solution for this, which involves a quick adjustment to the broadcast channel of the WiFi router. Within the 2.4GHz band, there are even smaller channels present, which are numbered 1-13. Generally routers will broadcast on channels 1, 6, or 11. The ANT+ signal from the Stages power meter is broadcast on channel 10, which overlaps quite a bit with channel 11. Thus, if there are networks present on channel 11 it could cause interference problems. The easiest solution is to shift any of those networks on channel 11 to channels 1 or 6 to avoid overlap. Below is a diagram which offers a visual rendering of this signal overlap.

This is a fairly comprehensive guide on how you can make this change: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/how-change-wi-fi-channel-3325316/