All Chat Messages Have Disappeared

The usual apologies if this has been highlighted before.

Setup: 2017 Macbook Pro with hard wired internet connection.

I need some help as I seem to be unable to see any chat messages both within the Zwift app but also from the companion app. This occurs both in free riding and in Events. Normally, I wouldn’t mind so much given the quality of “chat” flying around on Zwift, :wink: however, today, I nearly got dropped as there was clearly a planned sprint and I ended up being left behind! If it wasn’t for the ride leader’s management of the group, it would have been quite a lonely finish.

I don’t see any speech bubbles from other riders or messages from ride leaders. I seem to be able to send messages but I have no idea if anyone is seeing them.

I have seen some firewall port related points mentioned when Googling which suggest certain ports need to be open. I have done this but it’s made no difference. I wouldn’t rule the router out as I’m testing a new one on behalf of British Telecom so there might be something squiffy about it. Having said that, the router’s been fantastic and hasn’t affected the Xbox, discord, or any other app/ device used here.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

For a start, make sure you ‘force quit’ the Companion app after (or before) each session. This seems to quell the issue reasonably well. I have zero idea why, but it seems to work.

Thanks, Nigel, I’ll give it a try. Can’t say I quit the Companion App very often.

Didnt see you mention the obvious so I will ask - have you turned off Chat in settings?

Also, you do know that chat is broken for larger group rides (though you should still see some chat msgs from riders close to you?

Normally you see the ride leaders msgs in the middle of the screen regardless of where you are so are you seeing those?

The answer to your first question, is no, I haven’t turned off Chat settings. However, I’ve just been into settings to have a look at this setting and…voila! Group chat was set to off! I’d never touched it.

You’re a star…and I feel embarrassed. :grimacing: :crazy_face:

Thanks for your help!

1 Like