after using zwift for about 8 weeks i have come to like it but in some UI related areas i think it stinks. here is a list of areas that i think really need improvement:
(i should add that i run zwift on a 17" laptop about 20" away from me that is connected to a 40" monitor about 60" away, max resolution, i can see both.)
(should also add that i have read a lot of the requests and it is a shame that they do not get addressed. once on a saturday morning when i logged in there were over 12,000 other zwifters riding their legs off. assuming they are all paying customers and pay what i do that comes to $180K/mo. not sure what the real customer base is but for a small co that is not too bad really when you don’t actually manufacturing anything but an experience to a relatively small crowd.)
- not UI related but a good segue into my numbr 2 item…zwift is slow to start. i mean really slow. while it is true that my laptop has pretty much the bare minimum requirements the slowness of zwift’s start up is quite astonishing and almost unnaceptable. the developers clearly are not zwifters. if they were they would be as irritatated is me.
- after a ride is complete you are finally greeted with a “save and exit” button. great, i save and the program exits, yeah, my only choice. this is really annoying when there is another ride i want to do. please add a “save and go back” button so i can select another ride. did i mention that it is painful starting zwift, see item 1 above for a refresher.
- elevaton profile. there are two really in the top right corner, both on the map. the one with the % grade is not too bad, the one at the very bottom of the map is simply crap. to start with it is far too small of be of much use (vertically, that is). i learned somewhere that there is a white circle with a little arrow pointing in the direction of where i am going. this really is not useful because it is nt really readable. note my viewing options above. this elevation profile shows far too much detail regarding distance, i really can care less what the elevation looks like 10 miles away (or what ever it is). what i am more interested in is what the elevation is about 1/2 - 1 mile away. were i the developer i would change this up so that the white circle was stationary, always pointing toward the right with a 1/4 mile behind (if even that becasue thtat is not really useful either) and a 1/2 - 1 mile ahead (preferably a half), instead of the white circle moving just scroll the elevation. also don’t care about the other riders in the elevation, allow me to turn that off. might even add some color coding indicating the % grade. these sorts of changes could possibly replace both the lousy profile below and the other one that is marginally better. possibly move the elevation as a long strip at the tobbom of the screen.
- the map, allow the map to have a north up feature. maybe i am old but i tend to lose my sense of direction when the map always has me going in the “same direction.” i guess this is a thing with smart phones which i think has made us a bit dumb. (do you know your children’s phone numbers? not knocking anyone, i don’t either.)
- during training there is a power profile at the bottom, this is very cool. why not have that all the time or with the option to show/hide. it is kind of neat to see how much butt kicking i just did a few minutes ago.
- speaking of show/hide…let me show/hide the leader board and the other zwifters. i know about the xml hack to hide that stuff but the problem is that it hides all the stuff, knowing how fast, far, power, &c is sort of essential. sometimes i just want to see more zwift scenary. likewise with the power ups.
- the progress of routes in general is completely lacking here. when i ride in the real world i know where i started and where i am going to end (i may detour but i get home eventually), not so in zwift. although the routes are fixed (unless i deviate intentionally) i never really know when a route is going to end (unless i know it like the back of my hand). and sometimes i am not quite sure when the route will begin. there is a large banner at top center and should/could have a route progress bar. i think i may have seen something like this once or twice but not sure what is was for, think it was on the alp zwift ride but can’t recall.
- speaking of the alp zwift…the elevation profile there was much better.
take this for what it is worth.