Zwift shuts down—Will not open on MacBook [SOLVED]

I have been using Zwift for about a month. I use Garmin footpod. Have not had any issues until tonight

I logged in for a run and it appears to be loading. However, then it pops up “zwift app quit unexpectedly”. Tried several times and it won’t work

I deleted the app and reloaded. Same problem.

Anyone else having this issue or know how to correct?

Hi @Erik_C
Welcome to Zwift Forums.

I checked your most recent session logs on our server, and your Macbook is running OSX Catalina v10.15.

When Catalina rolled out, Apple introduced folder security features where you have to explicitly allow apps to access the Documents folder. If you don’t? The apps may not run at all.

See this article on how to manually allow that on a per-app basis.

If that method doesn’t work, it may be simpler to uninstall & reinstall Zwift and when you run it for the first time, allow it to access your Document folder. BUT BEFORE YOU DO - save your personal bests and custom workouts. Follow this procedure to save those personal bests and custom workouts

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s exactly what it was— folder permissions.

I allowed access and works fine

THANKS!

2 Likes

Perfect! Fixed the same crashing issue on my Macbook. Thanks!

1 Like

Didn’t solve my issues, I’ve had a ride and run crash this week… Very annoying!

@David_Simpson
A result of denying the Zwift app permissions to access the Documents folder is that the app will try to create duplicate folders named “Zwift_1,” “Zwift_2” and so on. We need to clear out this clutter.

If you use Finder to search for “Zwift” would you verify that’s happening on your computer?
Assuming that’s the case - delete every instance of a folder named Zwift-something

Then manually download the Zwift app, and reinstall. When you fire it up for the first time, be sure to give it permissions to the Documents folder.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Zwift crashing on IPad

I would like to know why the Zwift app requires access to the Documents folder. I have no other program on my MacBook which asks for this.

Other apps (Dropbox, WhatsApp, Firefox …) use the Downloads folder to store their files locally. This is surely much more secure? Presumably a bug in the app, or a malicious hack, could lead to everything in Documents folder being read or deleted?

If a developer is reading this, could you please explain why the Zwift app needs access to this folder? Otherwise, could you please raise an enhancement request to use the Downloads folder instead?

Thank you.

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Internal Server Error 400 / 403 (Clear your browser)