Crashing with MacOS 10.15 Catalina

Hey Zwifters,

We have seen reports of game crashing after the MacOS 10.15 Catalina update. This is due to security/privacy settings that Catalina has introduced.

After installing the new OS, there should have been a prompt asking to allow Zwift access to the Documents folder. If this option was denied, or if the prompt didn’t come up, Zwift won’t be able to access the folder and will crash at launch. You will need to allow access to correct the crashes. Here’s how to do so:

1. Go to ‘System Preferences’.
  2. Go to ‘Security and Privacy’.
  3. Click the lock icon at the bottom left hand corner in order to ‘unlock’ Privacy settings. Enter Mac password. to unlock (if it’s already ‘unlocked’, then skip this step).
  4. Click the ‘Privacy’ tab.
  5. Select ‘Files and Folders’.
  6. Click the checkbox for ‘Documents Folder’ below the ‘Zwift.app’ option
  7. Re-lock ‘Security and Privacy’ settings.
  8. Launch Zwift. If Zwift crashes again, try restarting your Mac and try launching the app again.

If you still find issues, please contact our support team.

3 Likes

Dear Josie,
I have been having the same issue with persistent crashing following update to Catalina. I have followed the ‘fix’ you outline (in fact, the privacy settings were already correct) and the issue has not resolved at all.

I have been in dialogue with Zwift support and they only offer the same fix as you and have now suggested going through the pain of rolling back to Mojave iOS.

Is anyone else having the same issue? Are there any other ‘fixes’?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Hi Lloyd - If this fix did not work, could you send us the crash report? Thanks!

Hi Josie,

Thank you for responding.

I have already sent the files into the support team but the only solution being offered is the one you outline in your original post. The most recent advice is to roll back the Mac iOS update, which is not ideal.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd - I’ll look for your inquiry and circle back to you.