Zwift crashes after Let's Go

Unfortunately Gerrie, the Prefs file is blank at the moment- presumably where I’ve reinstalled and it’s not been able to load up and gain some defaults…?

Funnily enough, yes, I hadn’t noticed it before, but the My documents file where the Zwift folder is located, was syncing with OneDrive. However before I reinstalled earlier, I disconnected from OneDrive, and deleted every trace I could find of zwift files, but it didn’t seem to make much difference…

If it’s synced with OneDrive, deleting the files doesn’t necessarily matter. They may be restored from the cloud copy when OneDrive signs in again. :joy:

Unless you need it I’d uninstall it altogether and then try to process again. Otherwise it’s going to cause a problem, there are lots of people complaining about it on here.

1 Like

Morning. Switched off all links to OneDrive and uninstalled. Same problem still occurs, but interestingly it went a bit further before it crashed - there was the sound of the bird tweeting, then the music started - never had the music before… Turned of the sound drivers, just in case there was a link, but no change.

That’s a bit more promising. With OneDrive completely gone, try the uninstall Zwift/delete Docs folder/reboot/reinstall.

1 Like

Done the uninstall/delete/reinstall, but no good I’m afraid. So frustrating, it feels like it should be something really minor, but I’m just not getting there…
I’m aware that the CPU is pretty old and low-spec - (AMD A8-5500) - is there any chance that would cause a conflict with the video card? Whilst obviously not the optimum setup, I’ve seen references to other people using the same combination - I’m loathe to replace the CPU - and it did work with the old GPU, albeit slowly…

I don’t know if @Dave_ZPCMR covered this. But did you check your Nvidia settings that the PC use the GPU as default and not the onboard graphics.

this might be silly but check that you plugged the screen cable into the GPU and not the connection on the motherboard.

Just throwing thing out there.

1 Like

Hmm, unless you’ve never actually been using either GPU like Gerrie has suggested, I’m struggling. I’d be interested in seeing another log file now that you think it’s getting a bit further, just to see what’s changed.

3 Likes

Thanks Gents - yes, double-checked the Nvidia control panel to make sure it was default, and no, the monitor is definitely connected to the GPU rather than the monitor (could happen, though…!).
I’ll grab another log file in a bit, see if I can use pastebin more successfully this time…
Cheers,
Dave.

1 Like

Heres a new log file: https://pastebin.com/9JvuvetQ
And are Launch Logs any use at all? If so: https://pastebin.com/GjcqRgb0
It’s interesting that today (and possibly since I removed OneDrive), it takes a little longer before it crashes, playing the music for a while first…

Still failing at the same point, and the same info is missing regarding resolution. The launcher log confirms you don’t have a prefs.xml file. Is the game creating one or is it still called prefs.xml.invalid?

The prefs file is there, but it appears to be blank - I assumed maybe it only gets populated once you’ve successfully loaded Zwift the first time? Not called invalid now, though.
Can monitors have an effect? The two I’ve got in the garage are a bit old, although they look fine usually - I’ve borrowed a newer one for work that I could try if you think that could make a difference?

1 Like

It wont hurt, you may even try setting your PC resolution to 1920x1080 or 1280 x 1024

Do the monitors show up in the Nvidia driver correctly?

1 Like

I’ll give it a try in a little while. Yeah, I’m pretty sure the correct monitor showed up, but I’ll check…

Sadly the change of monitor didn’t work either, they show up in Nvidia correctly, and a change of resolution didn’t change anything…

All of out ideas then I’m afraid. :frowning:

I must have installed Zwift 20+ times, on at least four completely different PCs and never once had the problem you are seeing. The final option is to reinstall Windows I guess, with the 1050Ti in it right from the beginning. Hit the Windows key and type ‘fresh start’. Once it’s done, then install the latest Nvidia driver, then Zwift. If that still doesn’t do the trick, reinstall Windows completely with a bootable USB stick. If it doesn’t work after that, buy an Apple TV. :joy:

1 Like

Ok, yes, I was wondering if we were heading towards that point…
Thanks very much for all your ideas and advice, it really is much appreciated. I’ll let you know if the reinstall works.
Cheers, Dave.

1 Like

How did it go? I have recently installed the same graphics card after my older one failed to work after a Zwift upgrade. The new Graphics card exhibits the same issue as in the failure point in the log file is the same. However, last night I uninstalled Zwift and Installed it again deleting the Zwift documents folder. Fresh install and it worked. Wonderful graphics. Left it running, went for a short ride and I was very happy. Turned off PC and turned it on again this morning, ran Zwift and the PC blue screened. Restarted it, ran Zwift and Zwift failed to get to the logon screen. Log files shows it stops in the same place as before. Graphics card driver was the same and no MS updates had been done. Don’t understand that at all.

Wondered if a fresh install of Windows had helped although I still do not understand how it can run on Friday evening but not on Saturday morning.

Sorry, I thought I’d updated this thread, but obviously forgot…

So frustrating- reinstalled Windows, then Zwift - still the same result. Since the start of this issue, the pc has had new harddrive/SSD, new psu, upgraded Bios, reinstalled Windows twice, cleared most other software, upgraded the CPU - it’s basically a new pc other than the motherboard, and runs great…! But no Zwift- I have been limping on with my old 620 GPU, just because it works, but all the more frustrating that I know it could run so much better, as I have the hardware…

My initial thoughts on the 1050ti was that I’d bought a dud, fake one- I bought it 2nd hand on eBay, and it is unbranded - but it works fine for everything else, and it gets through benchmark tests- surely a fake just wouldn’t work? The seller insists it was fine in his computer. Then I tried an older (but better than the original GPU) Geforce branded GT730 - exactly the same problem, crashes after ‘Lets Go’.

Interestingly, I’ve tried loading Zwift with no GPU installed, just using onboard graphics- crashes at the same place. This makes me think that with the two new GPUs, it’s not trying to use the card when it opens Zwift. This was something I looked at before, but my Nvidia control panel looks a bit different to other people’s description in the 3D Graphics page- it doesn’t seem to have the option for choosing a graphics card for global settings. I’ve clean-installed so many versions of the drivers, but the control panel settings never quite matched up with others’ descriptions. Any thoughts?

Mine has never blue-screened when it crashes, it just shuts Zwift down- pc is completely stable otherwise…