Zwift Companion Release 3.43 [January 2023]

I have a problem starting the Companion app on my Android device. The app worked yesterday, but now I get

“This version of Zwift Companion app is out of date. Please update to the latest version.”

The installed version is 3.34.1.

When trying to update in Google Play, it says that the app is no longer compatible with my device. The device has Android 6.0 and I’ve been using it with Zwift for years. Any ideas?

3 Likes

Same here with Android 7 (phone) and Android 8 (tablet). Please don’t tell me I have to buy new devices, they work just fine.

3 Likes

@Kerstin_K_C2rower @Petri_Latva-Rasku The minimum Android version for Companion is 9.0. You either need a new device, or you need to find a custom ROM to update your older devices.

1 Like

Thank you for the info Paul. Pretty frustrating.

1 Like

Ouch! Several generations of Android (at least versions 6-8) devices were just made useless for Zwifting. I have two Android devices used daily that fit in this category. Zwift has been the perfect place to use the old smartphone. The investment for the phone mount on the handlebar is now useless. :frowning:

Any chance of letting the old versions still work? Pretty much all features were working fine.

1 Like

Another reason for upgrading such old devices is that they have got no security updates for years now.

1 Like

That is known, but the only app being used is Zwift Companion. Phone manufacturer doesn’t release security or Android updates any more.

1 Like

It’s interesting that this seems to have affected you now. They supposedly dropped support for Android 8 last year. Android 6 was supposedly dropped in 2021.

That’s part of the reason for Zwift to deprecate such old OSes.

Android 6 is from 2015…

Well, Zwift Companion worked yesterday and today the support for Android 6.0 seems to have been discontinued. I do realize the devices are not new any more, but I’d imagine a fair number of people are still using old devices. I do have an Android 12 device and it was working with the new Companion app, but it would be just so convenient to use the old device for Zwifting.

1 Like

Sorry, but no.

Source: StatCounter Global Stats - Android Version Market Share

So about 10% Android devices in use are pre-9.0. I believe there are a couple billion Android devices in use total so perhaps 300 million previously working devices were just thrown overboard. For some reason Strava, YouTube, Polar Beat, Outlook, Firefox, etc. are still working on the phone so maybe their developers haven’t heard about the platform being deprecated.

I do understand that sometimes it is necessary to stop supporting old platforms. It would ease the pain of being forced to buy (€€€) new hardware if it was known why exactly the old OS version was not ok any more.

1 Like

Must just be me then and nothing to do with the way zwift program works…

Me too, with android 6 and 7 on my 2 smarphone…

If the previous relese dosn’t work, how can work a more old previous relese? Maybe you could tell me the APK relese that work? 3.38 not work , 3.39 only for android 9
Thanks

I’m using old devices too

I know can install old version, but it will not launch and simply ask for update !
I installed almost everything since 3.30 over the evening ;-(

btw, notifications work, nothing else ;-(

I have no idea why did simply check out Android 8 - there’s no change , simply developers decided throw away 10% of PAYING customers !!

how? just by selecting Android 9 as minimum required

because as there was no support for previous versions, that Companion “is such a simple piece of software” than until yesterday almost every old device was working (even it shouldn’t)

3.39 released 31 Aug 2022 is Android 9+
but everything sice then until 3.42 from November was working on Android 8 (confirm) and even Android 6 and 7 (confirmed by Alessandro)

maybe time to switch to Wahoo Systm - sure it’s not a videogame, but every coach will tell you it’s way better for progress than Zwift (in term of training plans)

1 Like

why someone I don’t even know cares about secutiry of my devices ?

I have still old but powerful laptop running Windows 7 - to browse the internet and watch netflix in the garden is much more than enough

and same with mobile devices at home

everybody talks about green change, but now I have to throw out the devices enough powerful for voice calls, messaging, browsing the internet and even playing the games ?

1 Like

Zwift cares. Because an insecure device is still a potential attack vector into Zwift since you’re running an online game.

I understand there’s a requirement for upgrade, but there are just too many people willing to stay at old version

and they should have a working version - ok maybe there will be no new functions, but I don’t care :wink:

it’s same with Windows 7/8 on older laptops, or maybe Playstation 3 no new games, but kids enjoy playing Fifa 19 :wink:

Zwift, please just let us install the older versions that continue work in game

2 Likes