Zwift Companion connection dropping

Hi

My Zwift companion app keeps dropping mid ride.

I’ve looked at the Zwift support page and was going to try quitting app when signal drops and relaunch but the link for how to do this with iOS does not work.
Can someone offer advise and if this isn’t the best solution, offer an alternative solution.Thanks

Ensure you’re on exactly the same network as the device running the game. If you’re sure you are, try disabling Wi-Fi Assist.

2 Likes

I’m definitely on the same Wi-Fi so I’ll try your suggestion on turning Wi-Fi assist off and see if that helps.

Thanks Dave.

No probs, it’s worth a try. The feature lets your phone utilise both Wi-Fi and your mobile network as it sees fit for best performance, but that behaviour may cause Zwift to think it’s on a different network and drop the connection. I think this is why people often say putting their phone on flight mode works, because it’s taking their mobile network out of the equation altogether. I have the same feature on my Android phone (called Smart Network Switch) which I have turned off and I never drop connection.

It’s just a theory anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave!! I also struggled with my companion app dropping and giving me the message “continue checking WiFi or use cell network “ so I suspected the app was struggling with a connection. Setting my phone in airplane mode fixed it all.

2 Likes

Yeah but if you disable Wi-Fi Assist/Smart Network Switching then you shouldn’t need to. :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t believe it is an option on Apple devices.

1 Like

See About Wi-Fi Assist - Apple Support

Edit - haha, Dave beat me to it.

1 Like

Thanks Dave. Tried it out this morning and it worked great

1 Like

Restarting this conversation. I’m experiencing the dropped connection issue with ZC. The only fix I’ve found is to reboot the router (which only temporarily fixes the problem). I am certain both my iPhone and iPad are on the same WiFi network. WiFi assist is no longer an option in iOS, but you can selectively disable cellular data for specific apps. So, I’ve turned off cell data for ZC, which should have the same effect (forcing it to use WiFi). But the connection only lasts (usually) for the day, and I need to reboot the router the next day. I’ve also had ZC just drop the connection in the middle of sessions. Any ideas on how to make the connection more stable? This is extremely frustrating. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip - problem solved for me too! Was pulling my hair out and couldn’t figure it out.

Hi,

this is my 4th season in ZWIFT and my companion app on my iphone was never able to stay connect during this time. Its an on and off.

I’m using AppleTV to run ZWIFT.

I’ll give it a try later with this wifi/cellular suggestion.

Thanks
Erik