Zwift Clubs - dead in the water?

I guess I’m wondering how many people they work for. Because they work for me when I activate them. (Although I discovered that activating Rubberbanding and the Fence at the same time is pointless, because the Rubberband is so strict, no one can get far enough away from me to even reach the fence :smiley: But the fence is there.)

Also then makes me wonder what is switching these on for some people and not others. Is it that some clubs are flagged differently, or some users?

Interesting. It could be that they are making improvements in the backend. Certainly last time I tried them they didn’t work.

I suppose I don’t really know if double-draft or disable draft or Steering Mode works (hard to tell with double-draft, didn’t try the other two). But the banding and the fence were in force. Would be nice if this was an indication of things to come (but replace rubberbanding with Keep Together).

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. That naming is kinda backwards and I guess why I struggled to understand the differences…a rubber band stretches and pulls/snaps back (what happens in meetups) and keep together is, well, just that (what happens in group workouts).

Some added commentary.
1- Rubberbanding and Keep together
-We are working to improve this and make them act the same. As James mentioned we have held one public test of this and are working on a tweaked version for more tests. The goal is to have one system that works great for everything.
2- It is on the roadmap to add the ability to turn “rubberbanding” on/off inside of ZC. Working on getting you a real release date on this (hope to have it in our next club forum update)
3- One of you messaged about a group of event organizers being brought together to give feedback, this exact thing will also be covered in the next club forum update. Ryan will be the one leading this user feedback group.
4-Like James said, we have some big stuff in the works that will ultimately give you the tools you need.

and notifications… some good updates coming soon on that too.

Thanks all, appreciate the open candor and accountability.
We are working hard as a Community and Events team to help you continue to build awesome communities and fun events here on Zwift.
-Chris, James, Ryan and Leah

15 Likes

Thank you for thw encouraging update. More communication like this please!

1 Like

thanks for this update @Chris.
What exactly does “next club forum update” mean? A new status update here in the forum or new features in the software?

A new status update here.

good thinking that would be nice :rofl:

1 Like

I created a new thread in the Clubs section but since there are Zwift eyes on this thread, I’ll ask here too.

Are there any known bugs in the in-ride chat feature specific to club rides? I did a small club ride earlier this week and we had issues with some people’s chats not being visible to all riders both on screen and in the companion app, but other could see all or different people’s messages.

Happened on our ride tonight too. One person couldn’t chat via the app.

If that was customizable, it sounds more like a Feature Request :smiley:

rubber banding ruined our clubs Rafa 500 first ride, To say i got my ear bitten off is a understatement , The ride leader ended up using meetups for the other 6 rides, Couldn’t the “keep everyone together” be used in events instead of rubber banding?

That’s why I am so particular about the correct naming. Most people prefer Keep together but they don’t know that there is a difference and mistakenly call it rubberbanding.

2 Likes

rubberbanding difference afraid to ask

1 Like

I couldn’t explain the difference to someone.

Rubber Banding keeps everyone together.
Keep Together lets the group stretch out (to a small degree) and then it pulls everyone back to together, like a rubber band would.

:man_shrugging: now how could that possibly cause confusion…

3 Likes

Which is used in a Training ride?

In a Group Workout? Rubberbanding.

Yes, sorry I meant a Workout ride type. Experience seems a bit different now than I remember in the past. I thought it used to be quite random where in the pack you sat during one of these, with constant moving around forward/back etc. Now the pack seems somewhat ordered, maybe in wkg sequence (highest wkgs at the front toward lowest wkgs at the rear)?