World Expansion Makuri Islands

Yeah, I’ve gone back and found the initial announcements about Makuri Islands on Zwift Insider. The original Yumezi map had 27.5km of roads, Neokyo then added another 21km, so if this means a further 16-18km on top of that, that’s going to be a whole new extra 25% to the map, which is a fair old chunk.

1 Like

If the marketing message was more of a “Makuri just got 25% bigger - opening up 130km of new routes with 20km of new road” it would probably have sounded a bit more impressive than the single 12 miles of road bullet point.

1 Like

There are so many places like that! For example:

1. The big bridge in the Harbor that used to have a stub of road on the minimap
  2. The one corner that rises up near the Alley Sprint that used to have a stub of road on the minimap
  3. That long, twisty gray line off the farmlands in Yumezi (going to Fuji?)
  4. The destroyed bridge on the Temple KOM forward
  5. A little secluded arch with a dirt road in eastern Village Onsen
  6. A strange yellow line I noticed in some of the pictures before Neokyo came out… the current Yumezi-Neokyo connector is sort of a straight line, but in pictures like the one I attached, the pictures show a line that makes a 90° turn to the south, then a 180° to the north. It’s in the top right corner. Currently, in-game you see a big dark line following its path.
    It makes me excited!
1 Like

November!

I see on the Bikeradar news article about Zwift’s new updates that “The new Makuri Islands roads will include sand, a first on Zwift, and are due to launch in November.”

That’s still 2 months away and it will be a full year between new roads on Zwift (Neokyo being the last back in November last year).

Or, to really put it into perspective, 1 mile of new road per month.

Sasuga Zwift.

2 Likes

Which will only be available 7 or 8 times a month! :eyes:

There are ways to ride any world at any time you like.

Easiest way is to make a 3 second custom workout, select that and you can pick any route on any world. Either skip that 3 second block or just ride it then carry on and it’ll be a free ride.

1 Like

Alternatively do a meetup.

1 Like

I still think my way is easier. And no need to send anyone else anything (I know they do t have to actually join you)

Just make a custom work out once and you can select it everytime you want to ride a different world without any forward planning.

Wake up one day, fancy a different world, select your pre built workout, pick your world and route, skip the one segment and away you go.

Fair enough, it’s just the way I do it.

1 Like

That requires the new home screen, doesn’t it? Though I could be wrong since I very rarely do workouts.

It does but all but phones should be on it now. And zoon all should be on it

I highly doubt that it’s imminent on Apple TV.

That’s what “zoon” means it is soon in zwift time! :grinning:

1 Like

Nope, nothing on my iOS device yet…
And thanks for the workarounds…

Is makuri islands going to become always on with the map extension? Looking forward to the new roads what the new routes will be. Hoping for some mid to longer route that finish in 90min to a couple hours range without many laps of a route.

That would be a fun double expansion idea! New roads and full time map access.

I also agree with you, too many little false flat climbs, little undulations and lots of gravel/sandy routes.

When it says flat, it’s not really all that flat. Something like in the video with smooth surface and a proper climb uphill and descent downhill, that would be nice.

They just need to tarmac over Makuri.

Outdoors i love gravel rides but it really does not translate well into zwift. Jungle is rarely used now compared to pre-junglue. Makuri as well nearly every organised ride avoids the gravel sectors.

The one exception i don’t mind is short sections like gravel at watopia Italian village can be fun to break up a race but riding in quicksand for 5+ mins is not enjoyable :rofl:

What i did wonder if it would be possible is to allow event organisers to turn off surface textures then we would soon see what people prefer.

1 Like

It would be neat to see feature of being able to select the surface on any route, so I can remove the tarmac from Tempus Fugit.

1 Like

My problem with gravel is that it just slows you down without changing the resistance. It should be harder to pedal on gravel than tarmac like in real life.

2 Likes