This may sound like an unattainable feature but thought I’d share anyways.
A world builder that allows users to create their own worlds and routes would be an incredible feature in Zwift. How great would it be if Zwift became a platform that lets riders and runners to create virtual versions of their favorite IRL routes or make up their own virtual riding areas?
Some individual features could include:
- Creating a route based off a .gpx/.tcx file (simulate distance and elevation gains)
- “Drawing” your own routes
- Decorating routes with assets (trees, buildings, bridges, banners, foliage, fences, etc…)
- Selecting terrain types (asphalt, gravel, cobble, dirt)
- Publishing worlds and allowing other riders to ride in your creations
- Zwift course development currently seems limited by the (very talented) in house team of artists and developers. This tool would allow the number of worlds to grow as fast as users can create them.
- Allow players to experience virtually any place in the world. One of the best parts of Zwift is being able to experience places you’ll never be able to go IRL. Alpe D’huez, London, Innsbruck are so fun to ride because they make you feel like you are there experiencing the local scenery and gradient changes. How cool would it be to be able to experience any place on earth?
- Simulating real world routes would allow athletes to train for specific events and allow them to experience how the turns and gradient will feel.
- Historically, players have created some of the best in game content when a platform for creation exists.
- Allows users to contribute to Zwift after their workouts have ended. There’s not really anything left to do in Zwift after your workout ends for the days. Some days it would be fun to mess about in Zwift without having to sit on a bike and spin.
- Let’s be real this would be a huge undertaking involving tons of infrastructure on the server, engine, and asset side of things.
This is a huge idea but it was fun to dream big