What's going on with ZwiftPower?

Runners and children? :smiley:

Oh, I now see Paul already said this. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

There may not be a viable product now, but at the rate things continue the bar for people to switch gets lower and lower and you better believe the stickiness of those people/communities isnā€™t that strong on Zwift.

1 Like

You forgot to mention the proā€™s. Runners, children and proā€™s.

4 Likes

Whatā€™s your evidence for that? Obviously there are a number of other platforms that seek to repeat Zwiftā€™s success. At least one of those has already closed down, but there are certainly six I can think of. Not all are generally available yet, but there are certainly three that are. Yet I donā€™t see them taking much of Zwiftā€™s community away.

Certainly when Iā€™ve tried some of them for myself, itā€™s been a relatively solitary experience.

Sure, maybe in a couple of years one of them might have caught up to where Zwift is now, but Iā€™m sure Zwift are savvy to the realities of business.

One reason why Zwift can afford to be quite uncommunicative at times is that thereā€™s nowhere presently that large numbers are going to jump ship for. They are at least self-aware enough to acknowledge theyā€™re not good at it.

When a serious competitor turns up, Iā€™d certainly expect to be much more on their A game as far as community engagement goes.

1 Like

Does this guy even know what a ā€œhostile takeoverā€ is? So much anger over what?

Apparently, a few chronically unhappy people think Zwift needs to call a press conference IMMEDIATELY, maybe run ads on Facebook & TV (today, not tomorrow), to announce something that may not affect end users at all.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been a Zwift user since early in the public beta, when it was free, and through now being a paying subscriber. Can I start making wildly absurd demands that show my entitlement attitude too?

5 Likes

Iā€™m not seeing this anger or any absurd demands. Just wondering whatā€™s going on. Timely communication and context is important.

Itā€™s interesting how people always come out to try and shut down criticism of Zwift. Itā€™s a business, not a charity.

5 Likes

Itā€™s the sense of entitlement people react to more than the criticism itself I think. We can criticise them, but demanding answers is a stretch.

5 Likes

Yeah using words like ā€˜demandā€™ doesnā€™t help matters.

1 Like

It would make no sense for Zwift to have funded Zwiftpower to keep the lights on, then take them over and somehow want to throw all that data used for racing away. I just donā€™t see any reason for anyone to be worried or upset over a potential takeover.

1 Like

It probably should have been in-house years ago, but for whatever reason theyā€™ve been happy for volunteers and enthusiasts to develop and moderate it. This could definitely be a massive step forward, but it could also mean a dwindling to nothing. The rumours out there about whatā€™s happened donā€™t sound great if Iā€™m honest, but thatā€™s why some clarity would be welcome.

2 Likes

I think so. Iā€™ve been saying this for years. OK, Zwift never foresaw racing as something people would want to do, and it was never the main goal. But once it became clear people would race on the platform regardless, it really should have had more first-hand support.

Again, I agree. Iā€™ve said the same thing on Facebook, in different words. It could be a brand new dawn, or the twilight.

I havenā€™t seen any of these, but the fact Zwift werenā€™t prepared seems like something has happened in the background that brought things to a head in a less than amicable way. No idea what that might be, and itā€™s pure speculation. But to abruptly step away after nearly 4 years of running the site, with silence apart from an employment status update (which is all Iā€™ve seen from anyone) seems drastic.

3 Likes

We donā€™t know any details (including whether any change was ā€œabruptā€ or if it was discussed for months prior). Sensible people will wait for word from the involved parties.

Interested people will discuss it.

1 Like

Very true. However, itā€™s better to not make assumptions or judgments based on assumptions as others have done.

At that point it will be far too late. When a viable competitor does arrive (Veloton, where are youā€¦?) dissatisfied Zwift customers will drop their subscriptions immediately. If Zwift wishes to generate loyalty within their community they should already be working on that.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure about that. People have inertia and attachment to their virtual gear even if dissatisfied. The competitor will have to demonstrate it really is better, or people will just come back anyway I expect.

Sorry, youā€™ve lost me. I have no idea what you mean by this comment.

These situations strike me as odd because of how differently it could play out. Take two different paths:

1. Take over ZP and say nothing. A void of information builds over 72 hours so gradually people start to assume it must not be good, but hope for the best. It creates a bit of anxiety and the very least if you are a regular racer you feel shut out a bit, mostly because the folks behind ZP have been so awesomely accessible and cool to deal with.
  2. Take over ZP with a plan and statement of intention. Maybe everyone doesnā€™t agree, but they know where you stand. Perhaps they are excited and encouraged. Heck, you might even get some constructive push back because the secret sauce of ZP over the years has been incorporating ideas in the community.

My friendly suggestion to Zwift is to get the ducks in a row on this stuff. Donā€™t leave the communication (which builds, shall we say, community) as an after thoughts or let the void of information spoil a good thing. Iā€™m still optimistic that this can be a good thing. Prove me right.

12 Likes