Warmup time for Pace Partners

It would be really nice if there was a checkbox for a 5 minute warmup or a slider (0 to 10 minute warmup) prior to joining a pace partner.

How would that work.

You could start a ride and ride for 10 minutes then save and start with the pace partner.

Like rubber-banding with a PP, and then it turns off after 5 minutes?

4 Likes

Lets use Pace Partner A on Watopia’s Road to Ruin route as an example. Zwift knows the route so start the rider in the normal start area for the route. Then re-use the “Join Event” code. The count down timer is already built, you have the join event button built, you have stay here instead built. Just change the auto join time.

The user experience is familiar and much of the code is already there. Users can use the time to warmup and change equipment. It just makes sense to have a warmup before riding at 4.2w/kg right away. Every workout has a warmup and so does every group ride. Its a better user experience and gets more users into doing social group rides on zwift. Same for runners.

2 Likes

The alternative is to warm up with cadence or brevet, but if you only got half an hour I could se the frustration in not getting to fill up your drops-multiplier.

Agreed, all the code is there. I would even say make it an optional warmup, give the 30 second countdown for you to accept or decline the warm up option. Allow your avatar to hang with the PP just like a workout no matter your output. Then at the end of your 5 minutes it should do the normal 10 second countdown to let you know the assist is ending.

1 Like

I was thinking about this while riding sunday morning.

One way to solve this is to have a option to drop the rider in front of the Robo Pacer (RP), the user can select how far in front 1km to 5km, this will give the rider a few minutes to warm up before the group catch up.

This will need a lot of coding, adding a option to select the distance and a notice that the RP is getting close and the rider need to speed up. (Step one can be a set distance 2km this will be less coding)

There should probably be a default Power up to hel catch up, probably the draft Boost PU that the rider can use when the group catch, or the Draft boost get get auto activated as soon as the RP is next to the rider.

why not just have it like the pens before an event and when you’re ready click join the pace partner and you then join them

3 Likes

Yes that can work, but then the riders won’t accumulate distance in the warm up. Then you might as well just free pedal before opening Zwift until you are warm.

How much time and effort is required to just Free Ride as a warm up then End/Save and join a RP? Very little and probably quickest if you Free Ride in the world the RP is in.

3 Likes

the exit-logon-set devices- select ride takes too long on apple tv !

1 Like

yeah it is the same on android - annoying that you exit out to the pairing screen and not the homescreen like on PC

1 Like

I did not say that is the best way to do it, but for now that is all we have.

I did make a workable suggestion a few days ago, but as we know programming is not easy and fast and this is probably not on top of the list.