Using iOS and wahoo dongle to transmit ant+ data to BLE for the Apple TV to read

(Ean Cowell (C)) #1

I have a ATV 4K Tacx neo, which works great but I’d like take ant+ data from other devices and convert for ATV/Zwift to use.
I have a wahoo dongle/lightning 30 pin connector and want to use my iPhone to read the ant+ data and broadcast it to ATV as BLE.
I assume this should be possible as the iPhone can read the ant+ data and can transmit BLE (via the Zwift companion for example) but I can’t seem to find a way to do it.
Any ideas.
(I don’t want to buy a Cable NPE or 4iii converter as I already have the dongle which in my head should do the same thing, the missing link is just software or an app)

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #2

It is currently not possible to use the ZCA to bridge an ANT+ signal even if you have an ANT+ dongle in your iPhone. You would need CABLE or a 4iiii HRM to bridge an ANT+ signal.

(Aaron Zwanzig) #3

Will the CABLE bridge all ant+ devices simultaneously to a single bluetooth channel, such that it would enable you to have more than just 2 devices paired to the apple tv?

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #4

You would need to contact CABLE for that question.

(Lin Alan) #5

@Ean You can’t use the ANT+ dongle w/the companion app. You’ll need either the Viiiiva HRM or the NPE Cable as suggested by Paul. I personally use the Viiiiva HRM w/an AppleTV 4K to get my power and cadence which are both ANT+ into Zwift. It works great!

@Paul_Allen I am reasonably sure that the Viiiiva uses a single Bluetooth connection to transmit multiple channels (power, HR, etc.,) However, I am not sure about the Cable implementation.

(Jeremy Nesbitt) #6

Are you referring to the Wahoo 30pin fitness key? If so, it is no longer supported on Apple. I think after iOS 11.2, the firmware stopped recognizing it.

(Ean Cowell (C)) #7

Thanks for that Paul, I figured as much, I’m hoping there is some other software out there that will do it as this is purely a software issue.
Basically I’m just looking for a way to transmit BLE data gathered by iOS (via the 30pin dongle).
I don’t need help regarding the dongle I know it works, nor do I need information on Cable or 4iii products thanks, the purpose of this thread is to avoid buying one of these splendid items.

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #8

Currently there are no other alternatives besides the ones that have already been given on this thread.

(Ean Cowell (C)) #9

:frowning: thanks Paul

(Eric Oshlo) #10

Yes, the CABLE will combine multiple ANT+ sensors into a single BLE stream for the Apple TV. When using an Apple TV 4k instead of my laptop, I pair my Kickr (as a controllable trainer only) with the ATV and then pair my Quarq (ANT+ only) power meter and HR strap to the Cable, which then sends HR, Bike Power & Cadence to the ATV on a single channel.