Un-earned Jerseys (KOM and Sprint)

Anyone else occasionally earning KOM or Sprint jerseys when they are definitely not fast enough to be earning these? I’ve had this happen on the Everything Bagel loop a couple times, happened yesterday in the Surrey Hills. I got passed by several people pushing ~4W/kg when I was going up at 2.5W/kg, I hit the summit and won the KOM. The faster riders were still ahead of me, so its not like they logged off. I notice that before this happens, the leader board that shows up on the left shows no other times for the segment, so it must be some sort of bug. I’d love to win a jersey, but not because of a bug.

This happens to me sometimes, coupled with the issue of the leaderboard for any segment being blank apart from me sitting 1/1. I don’t know why it happens though…

I think networking glitches can result in your client seeing an empty leaderboard, and then you pick up the jersey. (This happened to me quite frequently when my ISP was CenturyLink. I no longer see it after switching to Comcast.)

1 Like

That’s what I figured, but I am not losing the other riders around me, must be a very specific glitch where I just don’t get the leaderboard data. I don’t much care, I do find it entertaining to get to wear jerseys occasionally that I would never otherwise earn, but I still feel a bit guilty about it… :slight_smile:

If it makes you feel any better, I don’t think anyone else sees you wearing them (unless they’re looking over your shoulder).

2 Likes

Resurrecting this old thread… today in Makuri Islands, I got a bogus sprint jersey. I looked at another rider whom I encountered on my route, and it looks like he got two of them. This seems like an active bug or service failure. The sprint times are unrealistic and mine came a long long way past the sprint.

MANY people I encountered on my ride got sprint jerseys. These are all baloney.

April 28, my wife (51kg and a bad knee) took a sprint jersey in London. Looks like she was doing about 50w at the time. It’s horsefeathers, but I’m still very proud.

Outside of being a bug, I’ve experienced this occasionally if I’m warming down after a race/event. If it was in a world that isn’t on “today’s menu”, the number of people in the world is low. Couple that with most will be riding the “preferred” direction or the direction the event was in. If I do a U-turn, I’ve experienced getting a sprint or KOM jersey since nobody else has recently riden the route in that direction. Makes me feel good, even if it’s short lived. Otherwise I’d never see a KOM jersey in Zwift. (I had the KOM in Strava for a hill near me years ago. It didn’t see much bike traffic, so I had it for a few months after a day I had wind behind me and I was firing all cylinders. They decided to use that hill for a Pro Cycling Challenge route one year, as I watched Chris Froome and other pros ride up that hill I knew I’d never be close to KOM for that hill again. The same feeling I get after a few minutes in the Zwift situation I describe)

“Do not cry because they are past. Smile, because they once were.”

I always get these every time I do the chasing the sun course at around the 20 mile mark and then it goes away and i get it again just before the end of the course.

I’m definitely not fast enough to have actually earned it.

1 Like

Just to bump this.

I get this every time when riding chasing the sun.

After about an hour I always get the sprint jersey then after about a minute lose it and then sometimes get the reverse sprint jersey too.

This still happens. If i ride for about hour and have been through some sprints in neokyo. I get the forward sprint jersey, then the reverse sprint (but my actual jersey dosen’t change for that one), then the forward one again and then they just disappear.

My hypothesis is that the leaderboard local to you doesn’t add new riders who go through it after you, so after all the previous riders disappear (after 60 minutes from them completing the segment) you get the jersey and then when it has been more than 60 minutes for you they disappear.

I don’t expect it to be looked at or fixed anytime soon (or ever) and it doesn’t bother me just one of those weird bugs so thought i’d share my findings

1 Like