Tour of Watopia Cycling 2020 FAQ

Tour of Watopia 2020 begins March 9. This year, you have an opportunity to level up faster with double experience points for both run and ride events.

What is Tour of Watopia?
Explore the world that started it all. All 5 stages will earn you double XP. What does this mean? It means you can level up faster than ever. Unlock new routes and clothes with every level.

When does Tour of Watopia start and finish?
Stage 1 starts on Mar 9. The final stage wraps up on Mar 28.

What if I miss a stage?
Makeup stages will be available between March 29 and April 2, after Stage 5 finishes. During that one week, we’ll host events to cover all 5 stages. Event slots are limited, so make sure to get your rides in!

What do I get for completing all stages?
You’ll get a stylish in-game Tour of Watopia 2020 kit!

Can I mix up group rides and races during the Tour?
Yes. You decide how to ride. As long as you cross the finish line, you’ll receive credit.

I’d like to run and ride all of Tour of Watopia
We’re impressed by your courage! Well, good news: You can both ride and run the Tour. Your efforts in both will net you TWO unlocks for your achievements, based on completion of all 5 stages in both Ride and Run.

Are there Women’s Only group rides?
Absolutely. All Category C group rides will be women only.

What’s the difference between a group ride and a race?
Group rides are like real-life fondos, with everyone going their chosen distance and riding with friends. Everyone can ride at their own pace. Races are more competitive—first over the line wins. Typically the courses are shorter to balance what will normally be a higher intensity effort.

How can I withdraw from Tour of Watopia?
Want to bow out? No problem, just click through to officially withdraw. You can also rejoin the fun at any time!

How does Double XP work and why is it important?
Every mile or kilometer you finish during Tour of Watopia rewards you with double the usual experience points. How does this help? You can reach new levels and unlocks (outfits and hidden routes) at an even quicker rate!

Tour of Watopia 2020 Cycling Pro-Am races will be broadcast live on our Youtube channel. Join us on YouTube to ask questions of our commentating team.

Each show broadcasts at 7 pm UTC. Click on each link to see broadcast time in your time zone.

Stage 1 March 8, 2020: Watopia Flat

Stage 2 March 12, 2020 Sand & Sequoias

Stage 3: March 16, 2020 Whole Lotta Lava

Stage 4: March 20, 2020 Jungle Loop

Stage 5: March 24, 2020 Volcano Circuit

1 Like

If we do a stage multiple times (or do both the race and group ride) do we get double XP for every time we do a stage or only the first time we complete the stage?

5 Likes

Exactly the reason i came to this forum to ask this same question… anyone know the answer, could make it a busy few days if the answer is every time you ride a tour course!

5 laps of Jungle Circuit, what a nightmare :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m guessing every time you ride. Last year’s TOW,I think it was stage 4 had massive XP bonuses. I rode it about 4 times and I know others did. Probably the most popular stage ever. XP bonuses on every attempt. Hopefully it will be the same here.

1 Like

Will double XP also include double elevation? to get to the Tron bike faster?

That is a definitive NO. Only double XP.

HI @Tim_Underscore and @Garry_Ferguson

From Zwift:
Double XP will be based on per-event participation so doing events multiple times will give you double XP each time you do the same event.

3 Likes

One of the step to participate in the Tour is to “Choose your Distance” and select between the A Group which is a longer stage, the B Group which is the shorter stage. My question is where/how do you see stage short/long distance so you can make you selection? Thank you in advance for your feedback. Jean-Marie

Hi @Jean-Marie_Billon

If you go to The at Home Cycling & Running Virtual Training App

you can click A or B to see all the ride information.

You can also find the info in the Zwift companion app.

1 Like

Hi Gerrie, Cool! thank you very much.
Jean-Marie

1 Like

Of course, the irony is that the “B” ride is actually longer in distance than the “A” ride for Stage 3. To be fair though, the Bs only go up the Volcano, while the As do the Alpe, so in terms of time, A will be a much longer stage!

The description says to grab a MTB for the jungle stage. Is a MTB actually faster than a road bike on this stage?

Short answer. YES about 1 minute compared to the fastest Road bike.

@Tim_Underscore confirmed that Jungle route events start in the new pen, so you will have a short lead in.

Long answer: this route will have a long lead in (I assume we start in the original starting pens, I don’t know if the Jungle Pens are working yet)

So with the long lead in being on normal road surface the rod bike will be faster until you reach the jungle then on the gravel your MTB will be the fastest. So the question is where do you want to loose the most time or are you going to switch bikes before the jungle.

Zwift my put us on the MTB at the start then there will be no bike swapping.

1 Like

The jungle pens are now used for the jungle circuit, so it’s a relatively short lead in. MTB is your best option.

1 Like

Thanks @Tim_Underscore - Good info, I will edit my post.

How do the times get decided? There is a big gap in CST from 5AM to 8AM for the stages that messes with work schedules

2 Likes

I assume they look at where the peaks are, possibly for different parts of the world, and go from there.

For example, I often find scheduling doesn’t work for me. There’ll be one at 6pm or 7pm UK for example, then nothing until midnight or 1am. Personally, I would prefer a 9pm or 10pm because I’m putting kids to bed or cooking and eating between 6pm and 8pm, but I guess most people in the UK are riding earlier.

2 Likes